Mac Catalina OS Upgrade

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Catalina OS Upgrade is now available. Has anyone done so yet, and have you experienced any compatibility issues with previously uploaded software and/or plug-ins?

I just did my macbook pro and imac last night. So far so good, but haven’t finished checking out all the new features yet.

I really need to check final cut pro to make sure it still works, as I am in the middle of a project.

I've a few concerns regards 3rd party software compatibility. My audio interface software version is out-of-date and needs to be upgraded to the 64-bit compatible one. After Catalina 15.0, my audio interface is no longer supported by its manufacturer (which means more cash drain for a new audio interface once my outboard audio goes away...)

Catalina is strictly 64-bit, which means anyone's legacy software (About This Mac > Systems Report > Legacy Software) and other 32-bit software will need upgrading as well.

I've turned off my automatic updates for the time until one of my 3rd party Windows on Mac apps releases their 64-bit compatible version.

Most of my 32-bit software I've websites to visit following my Windows on Mac update.

Currently in the midst of creating an encrypted fresh backup from which my iMac can reboot (another 6 hours) if something goes awry (like forgetting to include Safari in your Time Capsule backup logs which aren't part of regular backups...).

I've a few concerns regards 3rd party software compatibility. My audio interface software version is out-of-date and needs to be upgraded to the 64-bit compatible one. After Catalina 15.0, my audio interface is no longer supported by its manufacturer (which means more cash drain for a new audio interface once my outboard audio goes away...)

Catalina is strictly 64-bit, which means anyone's legacy software (About This Mac > Systems Report > Legacy Software) and other 32-bit software will need upgrading as well.

I've turned off my automatic updates for the time until one of my 3rd party Windows on Mac apps releases their 64-bit compatible version.

Most of my 32-bit software I've websites to visit following my Windows on Mac update.

Currently in the midst of creating an encrypted fresh backup from which my iMac can reboot (another 6 hours) if something goes awry (like forgetting to include Safari in your Time Capsule backup logs which aren't part of regular backups...).
I've received emails from many of the music software companies that I use suggesting not to update.

I got the emails advising not to update, too. So of course i updated, because I like living dangerously! :)

I run Logic as my DAW, and it was updated for Catalina, so I knew I’d basically be OK, at least with their plugin set.

I use all of the Plugin Alliance plugs; most of Waves; NI’s Massive X, Kontakt, Reaktor, and Guitar Rig; all of Arturia’s; EastWest Play (all libraries); Universal Audio Apollo and UAD plugins; most u-He; Serum; all Tone2; all Rob Papen; most Softube; all SoundToys; all XILs-Lab; many Eventide; all FXpansion; the Prophet 12 hardware PlugSE and Editor/Librarian; all of the Applied Acoustics System stuff, and a bunch more, but those are the most-used.

Of the ones I’ve tried (a decent fraction but not all), only the XILs-Labs are not working at all. So far so good with everything else I’ve tried. I haven’t yet instantiated my SoundToys plugs. That’s next up.

This doesn’t mean I’ve done comprehensive testing, I’ve only scratched the surface, but I’m not experiencing problems except with the XILs stuff.

Reading between the lines, it appears that if you already have the 64 bit software on your machine, most of it will work, but it’s the installers that could be the problem.

I have been running Catalina since the beta as I needed it for work.

Curiously UA says the Arrow won't work with it, but I already had their software installed before I upgraded and it seems to work regardless.

Macs have only been 64bit for 10 years, so it's totally understandable that all these software and hardware companies wouldn't have updated their products by now.

I have been running Catalina since the beta as I needed it for work.

Curiously UA says the Arrow won't work with it, but I already had their software installed before I upgraded and it seems to work regardless.

Macs have only been 64bit for 10 years, so it's totally understandable that all these software and hardware companies wouldn't have updated their products by now.

Even so, and being totally serious, you'd think that other software developers would be striving to upgrade their 32-bit software to 64-bit alongside Apple as each business increases their levels of technology. Although I'm not sure it's all that much of an adjustment, apparently it must be, because other platforms have not released their 64-bit compatible software yet.

Folks might ask, how bad could it be? If responsible companies turn their backs on their customers, I'd be watchful that their customers wouldn't bad-mouth the companies (read: non-compliant software developers) until customers are satisfied (which is often the case).

I think it's just a matter again, of waiting and being patient. Soon enough, PlayOnMac will release their 64-bit Catalina-compatible software, which will follow suit with other companies as 64-bit becomes the standard from which end users utilize their systems. Once PlayOnMac upgrades, I'll happily upgrade to Catalina.

Am not so much concerned about plug-ins I rarely if ever use (acquired via either a free or discounted download offer) or ones that might require a hardware upgrade. (Big chunk of change included). My feeling is that if it improves my system but doesn't come with the associated glitches or bugs, am all for it.

Hah! You just made my day!

I really had given BP's post some thought...and seen that he had been tongue-in-cheek...though could not understand why 3rd party software R&D teams are not keeping pace with the 64-bit Mac OS...I guess they put the ergh in ergonomics...and make it uncomfortable for us...

Column Browser is gone in Music (formerly iTunes). Browsing a large library any other way seems crazy. The view will be missed.

Column Browser is gone in Music (formerly iTunes). Browsing a large library any other way seems crazy. The view will be missed.

Column Browser I don't think I ever bothered with. Is there a way to view playlists in the left column? (like some, under "View" prefer my lists as songs, not playlists, artists, composers, etc.)

Spent Monday evening (after dinner to midnight) downloading a virtual machine app that allows my Windows research library app to run coincidentally with my Mac OS.

Word in the PlayOnMac forums is that PlayOnMac is lagging behind in upgrading to 64-bit, and it may be a while until 64-bit PlayOnMac remains a free download which will run Windows apps concurrently with the Mac 64-bit OS.

My new virtual machine app is a subscription that recurs annually, but the good news is the app is not a one-time purchase which would not be eligible for updates or upgrades.

Yet, after the first 2 hours of trying to get the app to install, it was time to call customer support. A tech happily assisted me with the virtual machine install.

The tech used screen-sharing and walked me through the install. One reason the install did not install correctly at first was because my Mac required an ISO image files which allows a no-frills version of Windows 10 to be installed free-of-charge. So instead of needing the full version (to the tune of $140), the virtual machine subscription was my only expense.

Once the virtual machine and Win10ISO software was installed, it was possible to visit the website from within Win10 and download my research library again.

All of this concluded about 12:15AM earlier this morning...and happy to say, the library now works correctly, is Catalina-ready (according to both Apple & Corel techs). Although the library app opens more slowly now (should improve with Catalina), the Windows library app now works coincidentally with my Mac OS. I've not tried copying text from the library app just yet, but will check later this evening if this works as it did with my 32-bit PlayOnMac virtual machine.

My Mac was cleaned up and my old 32-bit apps which will not work with the soon-to-be installed Catalina were deleted. (More compliant ones can be downloaded from the apps' websites once Catalina is installed.)

My primary concern was the research library, which runs on Win10 64-bit. Although I'm not sure the library will open upon installing Catalina, my hope is to find out from some of our tech-savvy computer guys later this evening who use a higher level of interactive system regards our library and operating systems whether my library is 64-bit compliant or not.

If all goes well, Wednesday will be a day of sitting at the computer and installing Catalina for the better part of 2-½ hours. Could use some well-wishes, it's been a few harrowing past few days trying to keep pace and not lose too much sleep over this...

Last edited:
Hope all goes well.

Thanks, Shim. I'd been in communication with a tech who steered me in the direction of locating the correct Win10 ISO image file needed for my Mac's virtual machine.

I really thought this was going to cost another $140, but the tech reassured me that was unnecessary, and then commandeered my Mac via screen share and did the work of installing what was needed, free of charge (except for the original virtual machine subscription, of course). At about midnight, all had come together solidly and the research library was working, albeit launching slower because 3 separate apps were tied into the research library icon on my dock.

This evening, one of my tech wiz guys who knows a little about our research library gave me the green light on installing Catalina.

This evening, I hope to have a glass of wine, some tea, and a light snack, and head to bed relatively early, because my Wednesday schedule is already jam packed and the peanut butter isn't even being included. o_O

One of my items Wednesday involve organizing and cleaning up my room. Usually I can find stuff there no problem. Recently, either my memory needs refreshing or I need to simply clean up my room so I can find the things I usually enjoy playing with.

Catalina was installed Wednesday, and my apps run successfully with the virtual machine and my research library app.

Downside is, a bad storm blew through last night and did some flood damage to parts of Connecticut. My back door got rained in on and the floor inside the door was soaked, even with the outer screen door windows closed tight.

Apparently, the screen windows aren't designed to exclude driving rain, and as a result, the storm door couldn't handle the water dripping inside the screens.

Time to ask apartment management if something could be done about this. Not holding my breath, but management has been good to us previously...

I just did my macbook pro and imac last night. So far so good, but haven’t finished checking out all the new features yet.

I really need to check final cut pro to make sure it still works, as I am in the middle of a project.

How's your MacBook working this morning, Shim? Woke up about 8AM and set about purging my Mac of 32-bit linked non-functioning software. (The kind that displays a sign with a diagonal line through it, indicating broken link)

Cleared out all but my broken-link Bluetooth Firmware Updater. (May need to check either the App Store or Apple Support for the answer to that one.)

Everything else, including my ToonTracks and Print/Scan software was updated to the latest OS. Wondering what to do about my Legacy Software that displays old 32-bit programs listed there. Perhaps doing a cleanup within applications, home, and library might clear out the Legacy list...

All seems well here. At first, my macbook had trouble with time machine, but that works now and everything is normal across the board. :)

All seems well here. At first, my macbook had trouble with time machine, but that works now and everything is normal across the board. :)

Had something similar with my Airport Time Capsule as well. A call to AppleCare (still have a few months remaining on the contract) revealed that there were 2 "Data" files that had the same file location addresses (one from previous migrations, the other the current Time Capsule) that weren't reading correctly, so some screen share with a tech solved the problem.

The files were encrypted as well, so I'd guess the Time Capsule was like a little baby babbling to its parent...the encrypted files couldn't be understood anymore than an infant's gibberish.

Just happy that others can enjoy their downtime and work out some the day's tensions.

Thankfully, I don't need any of that (yet), and am content with Catalina working sufficiently well.

Back