\m/

Can anyone tell me how it compares to other pickups? JB, Distortion, 500T, etc?

I’m trying to understand where this pickup sits in the grand scheme of things?

I’ve figured out that I’m just not into low output bridge humbuckers and the 58/15 in the bridge of my McCarty is the last man standing. Catch is, I don’t want to give up how functional the PRS coil splits are. I’m hoping the \m/ can bridge that gap.

In my opinion more articulate than the JB. I don’t have a ton of experience with the other ones. I’ve had a few different \m/ sets, both covered and uncovered. I think the name makes people overlook them but they are super versatile.

In my opinion more articulate than the JB. I don’t have a ton of experience with the other ones. I’ve had a few different \m/ sets, both covered and uncovered. I think the name makes people overlook them but they are super versatile.

Did you notice any substantial difference between covered and uncovered?

It's been so long since I've played any of those other pickups, it's hard to make a comp. I like the uncovered better but they're hard to come by. Both sound good but I'd say if generally prefer uncovered, will likely apply with the \m/ as well.

To me, the uncovered ones are a little bit more aggressive. The covered ones have a really great tone to them, just a little different.

It's been so long since I've played any of those other pickups, it's hard to make a comp. I like the uncovered better but they're hard to come by. Both sound good but I'd say if generally prefer uncovered, will likely apply with the \m/ as well.

I have to agree with these two. I loved the set of \m/ pickups in my Santana. Sorry, I can't offer a comparison to the other pickups mentioned.

I have played them all and had a set of uncovered. Some may call is sacrilegious, but I currently have a set of covered metals in my USA Holcomb and they sound absolutely incredible there.

Output would be in the range of a Duncan Distortion, but it doesn't seem quite as hot because it has more balance. It does have a bit of kick in the upper mids like a DD or JB, but not as much top end. Clear and present, but not shrill. The low end response is modern tight....as tight as the Holcomb pickups or the BareKnuckles I have used.

I have played them all and had a set of uncovered. Some may call is sacrilegious, but I currently have a set of covered metals in my USA Holcomb and they sound absolutely incredible there.

Output would be in the range of a Duncan Distortion, but it doesn't seem quite as hot because it has more balance. It does have a bit of kick in the upper mids like a DD or JB, but not as much top end. Clear and present, but not shrill. The low end response is modern tight....as tight as the Holcomb pickups or the BareKnuckles I have used.
Hmmm…this sounds like what I might need in my 06 Standard Singlecut. The #6 bridge really isn’t as clear as I would like. Dragon I&II and #7’s have the clarity I like even with a decent amount of gain, but how can I still resist named \m/? :D

Hmmm…this sounds like what I might need in my 06 Standard Singlecut. The #6 bridge really isn’t as clear as I would like. Dragon I&II and #7’s have the clarity I like even with a decent amount of gain, but how can I still resist named \m/? :D

I bet they would rip in your Singlecut! They will definitely be tighter and clearer (especially under gain) than the #6's. Compared to Dragon 1's, output will be similar, but the Dragons have very smooth and even mids, whereas the \m/'s are definitely more aggressive. The 7's were an awesome pickup: awesome modern PAFish pickup. I had those in my 06 SC. Actually, if you want more of the hot and clear PAF flavor in the realm of the 7's, 59/09's in your SC might be worth thinking on.

I bet they would rip in your Singlecut! They will definitely be tighter and clearer (especially under gain) than the #6's. Compared to Dragon 1's, output will be similar, but the Dragons have very smooth and even mids, whereas the \m/'s are definitely more aggressive. The 7's were an awesome pickup: awesome modern PAFish pickup. I had those in my 06 SC. Actually, if you want more of the hot and clear PAF flavor in the realm of the 7's, 59/09's in your SC might be worth thinking on.

I definitely find my Dragon 1’s more “organic” sounding than the \m/ pickups. Not better or worse, but different. I think a lineup can easily have guitars with both sets in it and still be quite diversified. The D1’s neck pickup is my all time favorite. The unconvered \m/ is pretty awesome as well.

Interesting. With the Dragon 1 what I didn’t like was that it was too thick. The bridge had harmonics like crazy and could potentially be the best lead pickup ever if all one ever did was play single notes, but doing the chugga chugga rhythm thing I could never get enough of a percussive response for my tastes.

Whatever pickup I get will need to pass the Master of Puppets test. I want a good lead tone, but it needs to track quickly and not have too much mush. The JB is about as squishy as I want to tolerate, but I don’t want another JB and am hoping the \m/ will help me maintain the McCarty’s single coil options.

Back