\m/ vs. 59/09 pickups?

halasghost

Hey, y'all! I'm the proud new owner of a 1990 CE24 that I bought off ebay. It's well used, but in decent condition for a 25 year old guitar. The pickups on the other hand are pretty mucked up with corrosion (sound is fine) and really mess with my ego and detract from the sweet looks of this beast. Anyone out there have experience with both the \m/ and 59/09 pickups? I play mostly metal but dabble in some classic rock and pop. I'm a rank amateur so my personal experience is extremely limited and naive, so if you tell me a polish sausage tied with chicken wire will do the trick, I'll likely believe you. I place my future in your hands. Help me spend my money so I can sound cool and look awesome doing it!

Last edited:
I've got the polish sausage and chicken wire in mine and it sounds great :biggrin:

Jokes aside I've been looking at replacing pick ups in my CE too, and although I've not owned either I've watched about every youtube video containing either of these two pick ups. personally I'm going to go for the \m/ as I think they gave the a better tone in drop tuning which I use a lot of when playing metal.

I have both sets. The 59/09's can certainly do metal and can do any other genre .
The /m\ pickups are a little hotter and are still a very versatile pickup.

Never forget the Tremonti pickups either, very hot and versatile

I have both sets as well. I dig the Metal pickups in my CU24 Floyd. They tend to be a little on the dark side to my ears but that compliments the guitar (maple neck/ebony board). You can easily get good classic rock tones out of them with the right amp.

Thanks for the input! I put in an order for the 59/09's. I figured I might be best served by going with the middle ground considering that lately I've been branching out to a lot more than heavy riffs and crunchy tones.

On another note, I did a google search and found posts similar to this one...for some reason my post search within the forum didn't produce the same results. Sorry for stacking the forum with redundant threads!

Thanks for the input! I put in an order for the 59/09's. I figured I might be best served by going with the middle ground considering that lately I've been branching out to a lot more than heavy riffs and crunchy tones.
Do let us know how they sound when you get them installed. Always nice to hear about pup upgrades and whether they met/exceeded expectations.

On another note, I did a google search and found posts similar to this one...for some reason my post search within the forum didn't produce the same results. Sorry for stacking the forum with redundant threads!

The forum search automatically parses out terms it considers "too common", and also does not do a good job of finding the desired "string" within a longer one. For example, if you do an advanced search for "59/09" (without the quotes) in just Titles, this thread doesn't show up (in fact, no threads show up) - not sure why, possibly due to the slash. It won't let you search for "59" because that is too short of a search word.

Google on the other hand is far better at doing such things. There is a technique for searching specific forums on Google to effectively get around the actual forum's limitations. I think one good way is to add this to your Google search, for PRS Forum searches:
[noparse]
inurl:prsguitars.com/forum
[/noparse]

For example, Googling the following had pretty useful results:
[noparse]
inurl:prsguitars.com/forum 59/09
[/noparse]

I'm sure there are other refinements that could be made.

EDIT: btw, what a pain to figure out how to avoid the forum software from interpreting colon-p combos as a smiley instead of part of the inurl function...

Last edited:
Bangin'! Can't wait to hear 'em! Gonna be one of those German Gin and guitar nights....

Oh!... and pics or it never happened.
Pics are coming. I get home at dark and then the twins...and, well...excuses. So, yeah. They're coming.

I'm down with German Gin as long as Carmine is there!

I love 5909s to death but I didn't like them in D tuning. Great tone but not enough output for that low tuning. I have a set of Ms coming. Can't wait.

Here ya go. If you squint you can see the Virgin Mary taking the photo with her iphone.

15670381553_c0379c43f3_o.jpg
[/URL]1990 CE24 by pmhowland, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back