\m/ pickups are here, \m/ pickups are here

I'm all about high gain amps with the gain backed off somewhat...I am VERY intrigued.

Funny you should mention that... see bold text below.

I got my CE24 (as seen/heard in the videos posted earlier in this thread) back today with a fresh set of \m/ pickups. The 1st amp I plugged into was my 25th Anniversary with the HX/DA mod. My particular amp is set so the HX side is very similar to the original 25th anniversary circuit (retaining .022 uF coupling caps in the phase inverter where a production HX/DA is .1 uF). The amp was set-up for covered 59/09's and was overwhelmingly expressive with regard to harmonics and overtones. After goofing off for a few minutes I finally turned the power UP and the gain DOWN. That's when these pickups really came alive for me. Fast attack, long sustain, and pinch harminics so easy I felt like Zakk Wild. For the 1st time ever I started to understand the value of a 100 watt head. And... all I wanted to do was play the opening riff to Welcome to the Jungle over and over. :)

I turned the presence and treble up by about 10% to get it into a more raw state and then I was off to the races. After about 5 minutes of peeling the paint off the walls I had to shut it down and go pick up my wife from work (yes, my truck is in the shop again).

This week I'll spend some time exploring the neck pickup, split modes, and different amps (including an Axe-FX 2). I'm interested to see how well these pups clean up using just the volume knob and pup selector. I'll even put it up against The Raven and see how the \m/ treble pickups compares (full-bucker or split) to the Deep Dish 2

At the end of the week I'll send the guitar off to Queen City Guitars (Bryan) for some weedily-weedley action and hard-core riffing through his Diezel. He'll provide a comparison to Dragon 1's (what he calls "fire breathers") and the long-lasting VB/HFS combo.

So far I'm a happy boy! Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Well by the Gearz show, they sound great! They do country well... no surprises. Love that \m/ etching.

watched it. it pained me when he said 1/4 inch was shaved off the neck. even more painful was watching with my wife who now wants another car, a sports car. :eek:

can't wait for a set of the pickups though!

Why was the bridge pickup \m/ etching upside down? Is that the way it's supposed to look?

Those dashboard trim pieces were soooo cool. And to match the guitar color.....oooof.
Merc Cougar with a Boss429 ain't too shabby, either! :laugh:

Why was the bridge pickup \m/ etching upside down? Is that the way it's supposed to look?

All of the PRS eteched pickups are this way.

pups.jpg

Yeah, our dvr didn't record for some reason. I was gonna watch Sunday.

I went home for lunch (to walk the hounds). While I was there I took advantage of the empty house and played my metal CE at full volume (with my 25th Annie amp) for about 15 minutes. The lowest wattage setting just doesn't paint the picture. It gets fuzzy too fast. When the wattage is up and the gain is down about 1/3 more than usual these pups clean up incredibly well without having to take your guitar's volume knob to 4.

That said, I need a real metal amp to test these bad boys.

Hoping to get a more complete tone report up by Sunday night. No promises.

I know where you can get a Blistertone to try them with.......even temporarily this could happen.......

That is a WAY cool offer bro-hammer. I gotta pass for two reasons:
1) I don't want the risk
2) I wouldn't return it - then I'd have to get a divorce

Well if it is still in my possesion come Experience time I would gladly throw it in the trunk to bring with me so I could hear them through a 'proper' amp....you need to find a cab to blast through though, that is too big to fit easily in the Mustang.

Well I have decided I have to have these for my CE. I also been looking to upgrade my Tremonti SE so I'm gonna put the Dragon IIs in it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;83614 said:
I suspect that you will be happy with the outcome. They work well in my CE.

I'm sure I will. Should go nice with my mini rectifier.

Back