Lyrics

I like the story telling ability of Bruce Springsteen and James Taylor

I recorded this song several years ago with the band I was in, always loved singing this one, I got lost in the lyrics -

Totally fictional song, so I believe, but I like the concept of this one -

Neil wrote the Rush lyrics, and I love that kind of thing, love Dream Theater. And the Polar opposite...Brad Paisley writes some of the funnier words out there... (and can pluck a mean guitar) ...Do love the older James Taylor, and check out David Wilcox similar, yet different)

I guess I'm drawn to the sublime or the bat-sh!t crazy ones. :p

Tell me about it...you just described my last 2 ex's! Well not sublime...at all...but the later? Oh yeah! Of course, this one "claims" I make them that way....first of all, I resemble that remark...Secondly. ..it's a gift, I firmly belive one should never squander a gift...;)

My current favorites are David Longdon and Greg Spawton of Big Big Train - lots of anglophile lore and history in their lyrics.
Peter Gabriel and Tony Banks wrote awesome little stories for the lyrics of early Genesis.
Ian Anderson is one of the greats as well.
Neil Peart's lyrics for rush are awesome, if a bit clinical/analytical.
Let's not forget Roger Waters (with the Floyd - can't stomach his solo stuff).

- Edit: How the hell could I leave out Andy Partridge of XTC? Truly one of the greats!

Too many more to list.

Man! These things always send me arms a flailing in a panic. As if they will get c their feelings hurt If I don't list them...I'm sure a lot have already been mentioned and ask me 5 minutes from now and my list will be bigger and more out there... off the top of my head...here goes nothin!

Warren Zevon
Prince
Bob Marley
Willie Dixon
Eddie Vedder
Vann Morrison
Tom Petty
Billy Joel
Aaron Lewis
Chris Stapleton
Merle Haggard
David Alen Coe
Johnny Cash
Pete Townsend
James Taylor
Jackson Brown
Woody Guthrie
Bob Dylan
Marvin Gaye
Whew!

Oh and Townes Van Zandt

Okay you guys get the idea...

Just a tiny snowflake on the tip of the iceburg that are my favorites...

Last edited:
I'm all over the map on this one.

I love Neil Peart, but it's more of a love affair with Rush as a whole versus just the lyrics. The lyrics by themselves are sometimes cringe worthy, but in the context of Rush they work beautifully.

In terms of lyrics, I like Jackson Browne, Gordon Lightfoot, John Prine, James Taylor and Bob Dylan. Honestly, I don't listen to these guys all that often because I'm not as big a fan of their music as I am of their lyrics. I also like Don Henley's lyrics (far more than Frey's lyrics), but I've heard these songs so much I'm burned out.

I like a lot of Pat Benatar's lyrics and I love listening to Neil Geraldo play guitar. Melissa Etheridge does the whole "longing for something better" lyric delivery better than most. Shawn Colvin's "the world is truly fucked up for us artists" lyric bent is good within that context.

Tom Petty's lyrics match the music so well; generally, straight forward and unambiguous. It's hard to pull this off without sounding "whiny".

Personally, I don't care for writing lyrics. I'm ALWAYS recording new music and I'm always lacking lyrics. If anyone has lyrics looking for a song, let me know!!

One of my buddies was really into them. Until he heard Hanger 18. He was a career Army guy (Sgt.) and heard “military intelligence, two words combined that can’t make sense.....” and that was all she wrote for Dave and the boys. LOL.

One of my buddies was really into them. Until he heard Hanger 18. He was a career Army guy (Sgt.) and heard “military intelligence, two words combined that can’t make sense.....” and that was all she wrote for Dave and the boys. LOL.

I’m not even that into them but.,, man, what a great record. Hanger 18 is a rad tune.

Oh it’s a GREAT album! And Hanger 18 was THE song that got me into them when I first heard it. And WOW what a hard bunch of solos to play. The faster ones at the end are actually easier for me because the note choices in the other ones are just things I’d never play... that one was TOUGH to learn and it’s one of those that if you don’t practice it for a while, you’re lost all over again because it’s just “out there.”

And, they are one of my all time favorite bands, and definitely my favorite metal band.

And WOW what a hard bunch of solos to play.

I stopped trying a long time ago, but will give it a shot sometime just out of spite. :D Had a killer concert experience with Friedman on that tour that's indelible.

His solo sections on that track blew my mind on the first listen, nobody was incorporating exotic tonalities like that at the time (in that genre, anyway).

Back