Luna Clock

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Ever wondered what your Moon Age is? Now you can find out!!! I just finished version 2.0 of my "Luna Clock" and thought some here might get a kick out of it! https://moondogwily.com/lunaclock/

Anyway, this is a calculator I developed 25 years ago to determine your "Moon Age". In other words, how many moons have you lived through! Why did I do this decades ago? It is all David Bowie's fault. While listening to "Moonage Daydream" from the Ziggy Stardust album, I got to thinking "What is my moon age?". I freaked out in a moonage daydream, oooh yeah! I had to know and being the geek that I am, decided to build a calculator for it. It remained on one of my sites unchanged for the past 25 years, and when I consolidated my servers into one account in January 2021, I decided to update it to a new version that is more user friendly and offers more information. I also moved it to my new artist site MoondogWily.com as there is no more appropriate place for it IMO ;~))

All that said, this version has NOT been optimized for phones yet, so you will have to zoom in to read the results (upper left corner of screen) if you are viewing it on such a device.

Tried to get it done for my "Luna Clock" song release on Feb 26, but did not quite make it ( https://moondogwily.bandcamp.com/track/luna-clock )

Anyway, lot's of features and improvements I will be making in the future (see the about link at bottom of page if interested), but if you have any suggestions, I have open ears and mind! And be sure to let me know if you come across any issues in navigating or using this application so I can remedy. Details always important on this stuff, like what computer operating system are you on (Mac, Windows, Linux), what browser and version (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.), what type of device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc.), what you did to encounter the problem and can it be reproduced, etc, etc, etc. Even the smallest detail can help me resolve problems faster!

Tick Tock
Tock on the Luna Clock
What time you got
Got on your Luna Clock

Last edited:
it works, but the UI is ... curious, took me a while to figure out I had to edit the oddly angled text boxes.

Also, it doesn't validate input ranges, so I was able to put in 15-12 instead of 12-15 for the month/day.

it works, but the UI is ... curious, took me a while to figure out I had to edit the oddly angled text boxes.

Also, it doesn't validate input ranges, so I was able to put in 15-12 instead of 12-15 for the month/day.
Thanks for the feedback Black Plaid!!! On the input boxes, I will be changing that, but that was my quick solution (html5 input box). If you read the content on the "About" link at the bottom of that page, you will see I have already noted that this will be changing. I also have not done anything on validating those boxes based on the fact that it is a temporary input selector. I do very much appreciate your feedback and if there is anything else you think of, do let me know!!

Cheers~
MW

Get a certificate from letsencrypt.com and you’ll be set.
Thanks Ovibos, I am looking at that option. A few weeks back, I had searched for free certs and did not find this one. Working with my host right now to try and get proper ssh access so I can set up the letsencrypt certificate properly. BTW, it is letsencrypt.org, not .com but I figured that out quickly enough.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!

Cheers~
MW

Well, after several hours of gut wrenching frustration I now have a free SSL cert (for 90 days anyway). Seems my server host does not let me use that which is necessary to take advantage of the LetsEncrypt.org options (but thanks for suggesting @Ovibos), so I went with SSLForFree. So Moondog Wily site linked above should now be free of any "warnings" by browsers as it now has a SSL certificate properly installed.

Another note here, keep in mind, I am doing this for fun and expanding my knowledge base! I have learned a lot of SVG stuff while building this, and it is in part a growth exercise for me to embrace the upcoming SVG standard that we seem to be heading for. There is talk in the industry of search sites giving lower ranking to sites that use anything but SVG for their visual components. If that happens, there is going to be a LOT of "to SVG" conversion work, and I would not mind being prepared for it. And if it does not happen, I am cool with that as well. I learn a lot of things just because I want to know, but I believe this one may have potential for future guitar money as well!!!

So enjoy, and laugh, and share the knowledge of your moon age! And may you all live to be 1,000+ moons!

Hey Black Plaid - could you please let me know what OS and browser you experienced this on (validation of month/day). I have not changed anything and it is not letting me put in values like you indicate. It is letting me put in messed up year stuff, but not month/day. Technically, it does let me put them in, but then corrects it to the nearest logical option which is really all the validation that is needed for something like this aside from ensuring start date is before end date (and that validation is not there at this point). Any details appreciated!!

Last edited:
More like Moondog Wiley! This is a neat thing you've made.

I will try it on a normal computer, I could only get the site do display on a Fire tablet browser...no interface items would respond. It's stupid Amazon, I'm sure, as the reason it wouldn't work for me!

More like Moondog Wiley! This is a neat thing you've made.

I will try it on a normal computer, I could only get the site do display on a Fire tablet browser...no interface items would respond. It's stupid Amazon, I'm sure, as the reason it wouldn't work for me!
Thanks for the feedback and kind words Mr. Aphantomvaper! I just did some testing for "Amazon Fire HD 8" (that is the only one my test service allows me to test for). Was able to get response when testing Chrome, Firefox and Opera on that test bed (lambdatest.com). Which version of Fire are you running and which browser on that version are you using? This is probably an HTML5 issue as that is what those input boxes are coded with. I am not going to spend optimizing for all platforms, but do want to know what works and what does not! Very much appreciate you taking the time to help me ensure most users can have a descent experience!

Cheers~
MW

Hey Black Plaid - could you please let me know what OS and browser you experienced this on (validation of month/day). I have not changed anything and it is not letting me put in values like you indicate. It is letting me put in messed up year stuff, but not month/day. Technically, it does let me put them in, but then corrects it to the nearest logical option which is really all the validation that is needed for something like this aside from ensuring start date is before end date (and that validation is not there at this point). Any details appreciated!!
Am using Safari on macOS 11.

If you DM me with your email, I can send you some screenshots of what it looks like for each input.

I did updates last year to fix some of the issues on this calculator but forgot to post here! This is NOT yet optimized for phones, so if you are trying to use your phone you will need to zoom in and move around to set the dates and read the final output!!

Some quick notes to anyone interested:
1. When you are approximately 40.5 years old, you will be 500 moons!
2. Just shy of 81 years old you will be 1,000 moons!!
3. Generally speaking, an individual will have 3 full moons on their birthday in and 80 year life (this is a rough estimate but it is what I have noticed in my analysis of the moon numbers)!!!
4. I will not have another full moon on my birthday until I am 93 years old ;~((

Happy Mooning!!!

Life is weird. About a week ago I wondered how many moons old I was and Boom, you send me the answer. Thanks!

By the way, I'm competing with many of you here for a high number count. Les, of course is the highest.

Last edited:
Life is weird. About a week ago I wondered how many moons old I was and Boom, you send me the answer. Thanks!

By the way, I'm competing with many of you here for a high number count. Les, of course is the highest.
It was meant to be! I wish you many more moons!! Les will not be able to use this because it only goes back to Jan 1, 1900, sorry Les!!!

It was meant to be! I wish you many more moons!! Les will not be able to use this because it only goes back to Jan 1, 1900, sorry Les!!!
Les does not care at all about post count, and is embarrassed that he has the highest count, proving that he has way too much time on his hands that he is using unproductively!

However, by no small coincidence, Les is currently enjoying a martini made with Hendricks Lunar Gin, the finest gin he has ever found to mix in a dry martini.

Les does not care at all about post count, and is embarrassed that he has the highest count, proving that he has way too much time on his hands that he is using unproductively!

However, by no small coincidence, Les is currently enjoying a martini made with Hendricks Lunar Gin, the finest gin he has ever found to mix in a dry martini.

Not sure where the post count came in! This thread (and this calculator) is about counting the number of moons you have lived under!! Anyway, wish I could enjoy gin as I would love to try the Lunar Gin your refer to, but I just have too many bad hangover memories from my limited time with gin!!! Worst hangovers EVER (glad they were 30 years ago)!!!!

Congrats on the post count, looking forward to post 30,000 (you only have about 475 to go)!!!!!

What’s a post count?!

(Coy face emoji)

Back