LR Baggs StagePro Anthem

LEscanilla

I hear dead people
Hey guys. I have an SE Angelis Custom with no electronics. I was looking to add a pickup system but for some reason I really dislike the idea of a volume control in the sound hole. So that knocked a lot off the short list.

I see that the LR Baggs StagePro Anthem has a nice preamp that I can mount on top. Has anyone used these? I like the concept of having a mic and pickup. Are there other pickup systems that are better? Fishman maybe?

I’m the opposite of you. I dislike the idea of a large control module in the side of my guitar, so I had an LR Baggs Anthem retro-fitted.

For me, the controls are intuitive and unobtrusive. It can be removed from the guitar, without leaving any damage to the instrument. Not that I will remove it.

The system that is side mounted, is kinda there for life and a job that Luthier should really undergo, unless you feel confident about putting it in the guitar.

Both Baggs and Fishman make great products, so you’re good with either.

Good luck with your choice.

Some manufacturers will put a backing plate under the side where a control unit would be installed to add some structural stability and to give the mounting screws something to bite into. Take a look inside and see if you’re guitar has that. Given PRS does not use that type of system, I would guess not.

People complain about the limitations of a straight microphone in front of the guitar, but it will give you a better sound than any piezo system will.

Back