Lower volume on D string ?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
Sorry if this question has been answered before - I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but ??

I just got a Santana III with 59/09 pu's. The setup was pretty right on when I got it, Action nice but not too low for me, good intonation up and down fretboard. BUT. the D string has a slightly lower volume than the other strings , but only on the on the bridge PU. Not a serious problem but I hear it and it bugs me. My thinking was probably not the nut or bridge or I'd expect to see it on both PU's ?

Looking closely at the poles they seem to be the same distance from the strings. even so, I thought I would try raising the pole under the D string just as an experiment but it's tighter than a (supply your own metaphor here)
and I didn't want to break something. I'm also assuming here that loosing the screw head on the top of the pole backs it out and raises it - pS. in case you haven't figured it out by now I don't know JACK about setting up a guitar.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance

You're on track with adjusting the pickup pole piece. Down is quieter and up is louder.

59/09 are some of my favorite pickups of all time. A Santana is on my wishlist too. Congrats!

^^^^
What SinSir said.

I recently adjusted pole screws on one of my guitars. I pressed down too hard and sunk the pole screw even lower. Fortunately, it was on a SE Zach Myers. I ended up replacing the set of pickups. The guitar was worth it, and I'm enjoying my new pickups. Loosen the string and use the right size screw driver, and don't press down too hard.

The reason it’s stiff may be down to the wax potting, but in any case should screw in and out, as has been said already unscrew for volume increase, I find it helps to gently strum a G or E with the amp on clean and listen for even volume of notes across all strings, I usually lower the the pickup a little on the low E side then adjust pole pieces to get even volumes of strings

Back