Low wattage amp recommendation

Since this is a PRS site look at the smaller PRSa
I have a Egnater Tweaker 15 that I put EL34s in and really like it

I just picked up a Tweaker myself. 15 watts of TONE!! Also got it VERY cheap!! Not hard to find for $250-300 used.
The Sweet 16 IS a great amp also. You can't go wrong there. I've seen some very good deals on them too.

Since this is a PRS site look at the smaller PRSa
I have a Egnater Tweaker 15 that I put EL34s in and really like it

I also have an Egnater Tweaker 15 head. Sounds great and it is my go-to amp now a days. Plus its a 'hekova' lot lighter to haul around than my Mesa Boogie. My friend has a small handmade amp that I really like. Its from a small operation here in Sacramento called TubeSonic. Excellent tone from a ~7W / 10" speaker. TubeSonicAmps.com I think I will get one of these as well, very soon.

If you want one of the finest very low power amplifiers in the world, the 7 watt "Little Chopper" may be it; the amp is used in the studio by some very "for real" players and producers. Check their users list if you decide to look at the amp. My son says it's a favorite of Flood's:

http://www.mutronics.co.uk/audiokitchen/product.htm

It's expensive for the wattage, but it's fantastic.

Sounds great.

I just got this, Splawn Super Sport:

22 watts but it's got a good master. Nice clean with lots of headroom and 2 gears of overdrive and a boost.

Also, I really dig the Marshall SL-5 for home playing. It's almost as big and heavy as the Splawn but for low volume playing it's great if you dig the basic sound as it's not as versatile. 5 watts is barely enough volume to get over a light handed drummer, but for just jamming or recording alone it's fine. The 1 watt setting on the Marshall does darken the tone quite a bit but if you bump the treble and presence you can get usable tones.

Last edited:
I've been looking at small tube heads and combos, and decided to go with an H&K Tubemeister 18 head and H&K 1-12 cab. I have another 1-12 cab (a Blackstar) which I can leave at my drummer's house, and only have to carry the head (in its own little padded bag). My back will love it.

Last edited:
I just got this, Splawn Super Sport:

22 watts but it's got a good master. Nice clean with lots of headroom and 2 gears of overdrive and a boost.

Also, I really dig the Marshall SL-5 for home playing. It's almost as big and heavy as the Splawn but for low volume playing it's great if you dig the basic sound as it's not as versatile. 5 watts is barely enough volume to get over a light handed drummer, but for just jamming or recording alone it's fine. The 1 watt setting on the Marshall does darken the tone quite a bit but if you bump the treble and presence you can get usable tones.

Oh cool. I have been interested in Splawn's stuff for a while now.

The Egnater Rebel 20 is another nice low wattage amp. Adjustable from 1-20 watts...

Jamie

Thank you guys. Any thoughts about matchless baby, carr mercury or dr. Maz8?

thk you very much for the prior suggestions

Haven't played the Matchless, but the Carr and Dr Z rock! Also consider the Maz Jr 16 with the additional attenuator. It's a monster amp.

I recently got a Lazy J 20 fully loaded with attenuation, reverb and tremolo and this is the best amp I have played through for home and small gigs/rehearsal

Back