Love the feeling here.

DirtyLuck

I have to say, I'm a new member here, but have trolled this forum for a long time. It's refreshing to see that there is no snobbery on display. I haven't seen anyone talking down to someone because they can't afford a s2 or core model. Its all about the love for this brand and instrument as it should be. Are the s2 and cores nicer then a se model, sure. That comes with major prices differences as well and not everyone has the ability/need to justify dropping 3k plus on a guitar. I know I can't at this point in life. But I have 3 se models ranging from stock to modded out and I love them. They play beautifully after a good set up to my liking. One day a core will be mine, but for now I love my se models and I appreciate the helpfulness and humbleness of this forum.

Welcome! I'm relatively new to this place myself, but folks around here aren't too bad ;) I was welcomed heartily even before my first PRS was in hand (SE HBII Piezo). That I've now gone out and added another soon to arrive PRS (S2 CU24) is not the fault of this forum...as far as you know. :p

And for what it's worth, I LOVE my SE!!!

Welcome DirtyLuck and glad you are liking this little group of merry misfits! Lot's of help to be had here when you need it with resident experts on various topics (I am an expert on spewing sh!t)!! I started with a WL, then went to a core, then a PS (none of which I could afford but had to have them so moved some mountains to get them), but I have played some SE's and S2's in shops and I thought they were fine instruments compared to anything else I have ever played!!! Best wishes on your PRS journey and know that, reaching the top of the PRS line is not the goal, making music is, and everything in the PRS line is ready to be your fine tool in that respect!!!!

Here we go Steelers, here we go!!! (insert Terrible Towel emoji)
the-terrible-towel-flag.gif
Fixed.

I'm new here, as well. Seems like a great place to be. FWIW, I get to see a lot of SE, S2, CE and Core models, and my feeling is you can't go wrong with any of them. I guess I'm firmly entrenched in the S2 camp, as that's the only PRS I own and what I can afford. At the price point, the S2 and the CE are an incredibly good value.

...Honestly, I think all PRS price points are fantastic, but above $4000, my eyes go crossed and I forget who I am for about 30 minutes.

With people always reminding us that "tone is in the hands", it makes me wonder why any of us want a guitar that costs more than $250. :)

Last edited:
With people always reminding us that "tone is in the hands", it makes me wonder why any of us want a guitar that costs more than $250. :)
Because the old 'tone is in the hands' saw isn't true.

Tone is a process that is limited by the capabilities of the instrument. It is initiated by the hands, and modulated by the brain, but the instrument can only respond to the input as far as its capabilities allow it to respond. An instrument will always impose its limitations, no matter what your hands do. And it will always reveal its sonic character.

The better the instrument, the more the human being can do with it, and the fewer limitations are imposed on the hands in terms of what they can do. The instrument filters what's coming from your hands and intentions, and responds within its fixed limitations. It facilitates certain things; it imposes roadblocks on other things.

That's why folks who take guitar seriously will spend whatever it takes to have an instrument that can respond to their input in the ways they want. So sure, you're gonna sound like you in certain ways. On the other hand, the instrument has a lot to say about how you sound, how easy it is to achieve your sound, the nuances of your sound, and a zillion other things, like frequency emphasis and response, resonance, sustain, warmth, brightness, etc.

A great instrument allows you to sound like you, only different than you sound on a less-than-great instrument. Just as your hands inevitably produce different tones on a jazz box, a Les Paul, a PRS, and a Strat (or anything else), they'll produce different tones on a finer instrument. Just the way it is. The instrument imposes its limitations and character.

At a certain price point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and you pay a lot for smaller improvements, but of course, it's those tiny nuances that can make all the difference for some players, and yet not be very important for others.

Yes, I realize you were kidding around, of course! Nonetheless, it made me think!

Last edited:
Because the old 'tone is in the hands' saw isn't true.

Tone is a process that is limited by the capabilities of the instrument. It is initiated by the hands, and modulated by the brain, but the instrument can only respond to the input as far as its capabilities allow it to respond. An instrument will always impose its limitations, no matter what your hands do. And it will always reveal its sonic character.

The better the instrument, the more the human being can do with it, and the fewer limitations are imposed on the hands in terms of what they can do. The instrument filters what's coming from your hands and intentions, and responds within its fixed limitations. It facilitates certain things; it imposes roadblocks on other things.

That's why folks who take guitar seriously will spend whatever it takes to have an instrument that can respond to their input in the ways they want. So sure, you're gonna sound like you in certain ways. On the other hand, the instrument has a lot to say about how you sound, how easy it is to achieve your sound, the nuances of your sound, and a zillion other things, like frequency emphasis and response, resonance, sustain, warmth, brightness, etc.

A great instrument allows you to sound like you, only different than you sound on a less-than-great instrument. Just as your hands inevitably produce different tones on a jazz box, a Les Paul, a PRS, and a Strat (or anything else), they'll produce different tones on a finer instrument. Just the way it is. The instrument imposes its limitations and character.

At a certain price point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and you pay a lot for smaller improvements, but of course, it's those tiny nuances that can make all the difference for some players, and yet not be very important for others.

Yes, I realize you were kidding around, of course! Nonetheless, it made me think!

Love this post! I’ll just add this- we’re all chasing the tone in our own head (soul?). It’s a totally subjective (and probably unattainable at any rate ;) but the right instrument to get you there has to be one that speaks to you. Ultimately it doesn’t matter what it says on the headstock, if you dig it. But there is a reason professionals (in any field) mostly use the best tools available.

A hack like me can’t use it as well as they do, but it’s still inspiring to know what it’s capable of…

Back