Lots of noise

zavulon

Hi guys

Can you put me in the right direction? Im having noise issues with a newly acquired PRS.
I didn't notice it when i bought it , as i played it acoustically mostly.

The noise is unbearable, even more the bridge alone.
As you can see in the video, the noise intensifies if i touch any of the metal parts.
I've tried so far:
diffferent cables, different amps, different houses (to discard electrical ground issues), same result
Thanks a lot

osjbOk9.jpg

Thank you guys for the help.

2 questions then:
a)This is NOT as the guitar left Maryland right? Someone did something to it it seems
b) Based on the pic i attached, which one should be the cable that i should try to re-solder?
Thanks again

Thank you guys for the help.

2 questions then:
a)This is NOT as the guitar left Maryland right? Someone did something to it it seems
b) Based on the pic i attached, which one should be the cable that i should try to re-solder?
Thanks again

Yours is a pre 2007 Cu22 trem. This is the schematic for it:
http://prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom5wayrotary.pdf

a) The work that is shown in the photo is not, I repeat, NOT from the factory. Someone has done their own work and they screwed it up. It is not per the factory schematic. I can't see some of the terminals but I think they are soldered incorrectly.
b) The black wires going to both pots are part of the ground circuit. The one going to the tone pot looks like it has an unmelted ball of solder on it. That may be the cold solder joint. You should trace all wires and match them to the circuit above to know if they wired it right. I think something is incorrect.

a) The work that is shown in the photo is not, I repeat, NOT from the factory. Someone has done their own work and they screwed it up. It is not per the factory schematic. I can't see some of the terminals but I think they are soldered incorrectly.
b) The black wires going to both pots are part of the ground circuit. The one going to the tone pot looks like it has an unmelted ball of solder on it. That may be the cold solder joint. You should trace all wires and match them to the circuit above to know if they wired it right. I think something is incorrect.

Yeah, what he said.

The problem could also be that mess on the back of the volume pot where the bridge ground wire and shield for the output wire are. I also can't see the output wire coming from the middle volume pot lug. Make sure that's solid and not touching anything.

Hey
After some investigation im positive that the wiring is following the schematic design. Maybe in the pics i've uploaded, some wires were not very clear but after looking at the schematic and comparing to my cu22, i cant find any discrepancies.
I may proceed and resolder some of the joints, for the example the one that you pointed.

If that fails, ill take it to the luthier .

These pickups should deliver no noise on any position right? Like 0 hum noise?

You just need to go over the wiring bit by bit until you find the culprit. There is at least one cold solder joint in there somewhere. I'd start by redoing those ugly ground connections and go from there.

I won't say zero hum, but it should be quiet except for a little RF buzz.

Back