Lost Guitarist?

Mark - forgive my indulgence...one last question. I do own a looper. And it's fun. I've heard a lot of people say use it to practice. I get the idea but not the execution. I understand that if you record a loop - if the beginning and end don't sync, it won't work. I also understand that soloing over an out-of-time loop will make it evident that it's a bad rhythm. But that's all about knowing it's bad - is there a particular exercise or skill to suggest how to use a looper to properly work on rhythm? Do I just record a simple I-IV-V and record on top fo that?

Loopers are good for several different practice things. One, as you alluded to, is recording a chord progression to play over. I do this kind of thing a fair bit - I have a backing for Zappa's "Watermelon In Easter Hay" saved in my looper, and every now and then, it's just fun to play over that. When I'm working on something new, I'll record a progression and work over the loop.

The other thing is timing, and it will beat you mercilessly about it. I'll play a couple measures, start the loop, cut it after a couple measures and see if I was able to cut it on the beat or not. The transition makes it painfully obvious when I miss. My looper has drum patterns it will play behind you, but I usually never use those - it's harder w/o.

...I accepted my limitations and went back at it. It was much more enjoyable.

This is a key point! I have done the same - I keep trying to improve, but never at the expense of frustration. There's a guy on the video lessons I do who spends most of each video lesson complaining about this or that. He has clearly gotten better as a player - you can see and hear it over the years - but is never happy, always frustrated about some aspect of his playing, or the guitar itself, etc.. Paul Gilbert has told him, more than once - relax and have fun! One time, in a video to this guy, Gilbert played part of "Hide Your Love Away" by The Beatles and when he was done, he said, "this song always makes me feel good!". The point - enjoy yourself along the way!

Mark - forgive my indulgence...one last question. I do own a looper. And it's fun. I've heard a lot of people say use it to practice. I get the idea but not the execution. I understand that if you record a loop - if the beginning and end don't sync, it won't work. I also understand that soloing over an out-of-time loop will make it evident that it's a bad rhythm. But that's all about knowing it's bad - is there a particular exercise or skill to suggest how to use a looper to properly work on rhythm? Do I just record a simple I-IV-V and record on top fo that?

I will be honest...I am not a looper guy. I like to have drums and a bassline to practice with. I will record my "loops" in ProTools, using Ezdrummer 2 for the drums, then I will play the bass for the progression I want to work on. I'll usually make my "loop" about 5 minutes long so I have a lot to work with. Sorry!

Just make some beautiful music with your Silver Sky.

Don’t complicate things with too much thought. I play at my best when I don’t try too hard.

Gain confidence through good practice as Mark has said.

Find others to play music with, even if it’s just one other person.

I found playing music with those more talented than me enabled my progression much faster. I wanted to improve.

I wish you all the best in your musical endeavours

Playing in a band is the best way to get better.

If your rhythm playing sucks, it’s because you’re not doing it enough. A band will change that.

Unless you have a drummer that plays everything too fast and you have a singer that can't count. A frustrated guitar player will change that!

Just make some beautiful music with your Silver Sky.

Don’t complicate things with too much thought. I play at my best when I don’t try too hard.

Gain confidence through good practice as Mark has said.

Find others to play music with, even if it’s just one other person.

I found playing music with those more talented than me enabled my progression much faster. I wanted to improve.

I wish you all the best in your musical endeavours
Thank you

everyone is overthinking this.
it's quite simple.
you need to bite the bullet and go back to very beginning and learn how to play properly.
every guitarist tryin' to learn and improve is influenced by way to much irrelevant "noise."
don't waste your money on "online" teachers or flesh and blood teachers.
get a good dvd and work thru it. skip what you know and learn what's new.
i guarantee there will be a lot that is new.
lick library and guitar tricks are good sites for beginner dvds.

the ugly truth about learning to play the guitar, is that it's all the same when u start out and most guys never really learn it.
the other thing to be cognizant of, is that when most guys say to practice, all they really mean is to play the same old crap they have been playin' for 100,000 years.
u have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and learn new techniques and learn them properly.
once u have the basics done, u can branch out in whatever direction tickles your fancy.
it takes time and effort and some level of talent.
if u go about it in a structured, consistent and intelligent manner, six months from now u will look back and say "holy crap", how did i improve so much in such a short amount of time.

good luck

Back