Looking to join the PRS family, McCarty 594 HB II, McCarty 594 Semi or Special Semi-hollow Limited?

Unpossible!!! I own the greatest hollowbody ever made! ;)
The PRS HollowBody totally wipes out the competition and dominates the musical universe. A guitar so wonderful, revolutionary, and so far better than anyone else’s; That it subdues all mimics, wielding a tone too great and terrible to overcome.
Inspired by Jobu. Baseball voodoo deity.

I'd say with the difficulty in chasing those specific models ... [you should] get a regular solid body, will also be more representative of the brand.

I have to agree. If you're really wanting the PRS flavor, it's going to be a PRS guitar with the classic 25" scale and the one-piece bridge/stoptail. My two favorites over the last 20 years are:

Solidbody: The McCarty model is back in production, now with 58/15 pickups. It's a classic.
Hollowbody: The Hollowbody II has never gone out of production in 20 years, and it's such a wonderful and unique design. Now with 58/15 LTs.

Welcome to your new family!

=K

I have to agree. If you're really wanting the PRS flavor, it's going to be a PRS guitar with the classic 25" scale and the one-piece bridge/stoptail. My two favorites over the last 20 years are:

Solidbody: The McCarty model is back in production, now with 58/15 pickups. It's a classic.
Hollowbody: The Hollowbody II has never gone out of production in 20 years, and it's such a wonderful and unique design. Now with 58/15 LTs.

Welcome to your new family!

=K

Whilst I cannot disagree with regards to the Hollowbody, I would say that if someone was looking for the 'PRS' flavour, the iconic PRS style and sound with the 25" scale, I would say that the 'Perfect' Solid body that encapsulates PRS has to be the Custom 24. Its the Guitar that launched PRS in to the world, the PRS that defined the brand and sound. Its Success led to the opportunities to expand, to bring new models to market. That doesn't mean that I think the McCarty isn't an awesome guitar of course. I own a McCarty 594 (and a Custom 24) and know how great the other McCarty models are. If the OP was looking for a Solid body PRS, they can't really go wrong as they are all fantastic and high quality instruments.

As far as the 'core' PRS models models go, I hate to say it but they tend to go from vintage 'Les Paul' (594) becoming more modern sounding and adding more 'PRS' flavour as you move through all the core solid body models to get to the most PRS Guitar, the Custom 24. Its not just the extra frets and trem bridge, but the positioning of that Neck Humbucker and the 5-way switch tones it gets which, in my opinion as well as the history of PRS, makes the Custom 24 to be the most PRS Paul Reed Smith Guitar.

The Hollowbody ii with a Piezo is, in my opinion, the greatest Hollowbody ever built - at least as far as the big and most accessible brands are concerned - I haven't tried some obscure or small brand that has very little representation in my world. Mine has the 58/15 LT's - the same as would come with the HB 594. The difference between the two is the scale length, neck carve and whether or not you want split coil options (594) or Piezo (HBii). The HBii is likely to be more accessible because its been around a lot longer. I must admit, despite owning a HBii, I am seriously gassing for a HB 594 right now.

There are some Semi-hollow 594's on the market too of the OP wants to consider those. I would love to add the Special 22 semi-hollow to my small collection too. I have yet to see one in my preferred colour and in my Country - believe me I have looked and looked. If I was in the position to buy now, I would even consider a 'different' colour, make it the 'odd one out' in my family because I really want a Special 22. Being Limited Edition, I would probably buy this model and 'make do' (as if 'making do' with a HBii is a major problem) and begin the saving process all again until the core HB 594's become more widely available. I can wait longer for it too as I do have both a solid body 594 and a Hollowbody ii with 58/15 LT's to see me through the waiting/saving phase.

The real answer is to buy all, the most sensible answer would be to get the Special 22 first as its 'limited' and offers quite a lot of versatility. It can offer similarities to the 594 as far as tonal options - both allow you to use all the combinations of the Humbuckers whether full or split - but the special adds 4 more options incorporating the Narrowfield. That Narrowfield though 'could' be an issue for the OP - depends on their picking style and position, finding that the NF gets in the way - hence try it first but probably should be the first guitar to purchase if you get on with it. If you are happy to buy used, the solid body 594 may be cheaper and easier to find with the HB 594 the most difficult to purchase right now.

PRS%20Special.jpg

Hot!

Right, they were added to the Core line at the very beginning of the year, and yet no stock anywhere in the world. And there hasn't been. Not surprising why - there's a number of 10K+ Private Stock versions which would be hard to sell, if competing with the Core line once they're easily available. So PRS is giving the dealers some time to clear those out. My prediction is you won't see one "arrive" until late Summer/early Fall as a stock item, if that. But again, any dealer is happy to order you one. And there are some Wood Library versions on the way from a few dealers now. I latched on to one of those.

It just hit me that because of this, I might eventually own one of the world’s first or the world’s first non-Private Stock McCarty 594 Hollowbody II! Come on summer!

My PRS HB 594 LTD is the best electric guitar I have ever owned.

I have been wanting a 594 for a while now, not sure why I haven’t pulled the trigger. In my search I came across a few nice Specials and I noticed they all seem to get snapped up. After seeing that happen a few times, I snagged a Burnt Maple Leaf Special with a 10 top and mixed hardware. Awesome guitar, as nice as any PRS as I have played.owned. Still want to grab a 594 on day.

I have been wanting a 594 for a while now, not sure why I haven’t pulled the trigger. In my search I came across a few nice Specials and I noticed they all seem to get snapped up. After seeing that happen a few times, I snagged a Burnt Maple Leaf Special with a 10 top and mixed hardware. Awesome guitar, as nice as any PRS as I have played.owned. Still want to grab a 594 on day.

Sweet! Congrats

Back