Looking to buy a 594 - need help

krb813

I'm looking to purchase a 594. I just can't decide on the double-cut or the single cut 594. I don't have a way to try them out. I will probably buy from Sweetwater. I'm just trying to determine if they will sound different from each other. I have listened to some videos. However, they are not a good representation. Any opinions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

At risk of speaking for someone else, look to MAPete's advice. I believe it was, more or less......The SC is the best guitar, EVER. But, were it choosing a single guitar to take out to play live, it would be the DC.

Look up his thread(s) where he has a lot of sage advice.

I just received my single cut 594 five days ago. The differences definitely will be subtle, but I listened to every YouTube video available, because the single cut body is connected higher up on the neck the neck will be more stable, the single cut body is going to have 0.5 to 1 pounds more heavy mahogany. But you can easily find them crossing over. Some double cuts can come in at 8.5 lbs and some singlecuts can come in around 7.8 pounds.

So overall we believe the single cut will have the tendency toward slightly more powerful Or thicker power chords. So I was interested in chasing the tone first. But I also love the shape of that guitar. The trade-off is as stated above would be slightly better playability on stage, less weight more comfort on a strap, Additionally the double cut allows better access to the 20-22nd frets, but my 594 singlecut is way better than my Les Paul, In other words I can access the 22nd fret with no problems.

As Viper doc says it almost comes down to the appeal of the shape after considering what its main use will be.
Which is the most appealing shape? You can't lose:) you'll be happy no matter which one you pick.

What flavour of ice cream should you order? What is my favourite flavour? You see, you really need to decide for yourself, but either way, you end up with ice cream, so...win.

Good points by Ironwolf, although I disagree on neck stability. It'll be rock solid on either model. The extra connection on a Singlecut neck joint seems to add a certain oomph to the tone, though.

From everything I've seen, the tonal differences are subtle. So yeah, either way you win.

I haven't played the SC version, but the double cut body shape just works better for me in general. Since you have both a Custom and a Tremonti, that can help inform the decision. The SC594 would be like a more vintage-sounding, slightly shorter Tremonti. The regular 594 would be like a more vintage-sounding, shorter, thicker bodied Custom.

Hello Kevin. To buy both was my first thought too :) What a dilemma. I not sure which way I would go myself but for a guitar like this I would be looking at traveling to the nearest place that has a bunch of them even if it meant flying there or taking a long bus ride and making a weekend of it. This is a tough one.

I have not strapped a guitar in years. How does the SC rest on ones lap? It balances well or not, anyone?

Having played most of Pete's - my 2 cents

Tone = SC
Upper fret access = DC

This is IMHO, also if you already have other PRS's the SC is the biggest difference in tone than what you already have.

The electronics we'd expect on a single cut, laid out on a double cut. It's too cool, and super unique

I like the DC

Thanks everyone for the insight. I've been saving for a little while. I'm mainly an at home player. So I'm not sure a weight difference would matter much.

There can be ONLY one solution to your problem...Buy BOTH❗❗❗

Yup, that has been working well for me! ;)

I just received my single cut 594 five days ago. The differences definitely will be subtle, but I listened to every YouTube video available, because the single cut body is connected higher up on the neck the neck will be more stable, the single cut body is going to have 0.5 to 1 pounds more heavy mahogany. But you can easily find them crossing over. Some double cuts can come in at 8.5 lbs and some singlecuts can come in around 7.8 pounds.

So overall we believe the single cut will have the tendency toward slightly more powerful Or thicker power chords. So I was interested in chasing the tone first. But I also love the shape of that guitar. The trade-off is as stated above would be slightly better playability on stage, less weight more comfort on a strap, Additionally the double cut allows better access to the 20-22nd frets, but my 594 singlecut is way better than my Les Paul, In other words I can access the 22nd fret with no problems.

As Viper doc says it almost comes down to the appeal of the shape after considering what its main use will be.
Which is the most appealing shape? You can't lose:) you'll be happy no matter which one you pick.

Great description, Ironwolf! I agree with pretty much everything you say there! Only real exception is that visually I prefer the Doublecut.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I've been saving for a little while. I'm mainly an at home player. So I'm not sure a weight difference would matter much.

Good clarification that you are mainly a home player. I played in a band from 2009-2015, and now I am a home player. When playing out, I greatly preferred the ergonomic package of the DC 245 (which I consider to be the predecessor of the 594). The few times I did play out with an SC 245, I missed the more gig-friendly DC 245, the more compact geometry, the thinner body, and the lighter weight.

But at home, I am more split on that. When playing at home, there is something pleasing about the SC shape, the geometry and the girth of it. It feels and resonates much differently. But I also appreciate the compactness of the DC. Of course the neck, frets and scale feel the same, except your hands are a little further apart on the SC, or another way to say it is that your left hand is further out from your body.

Given that information of you being a home player, I would have to say (1) go with which shape you prefer visually, and which feels better. And (2) If you want that slightly meatier tone, you will get that a little more in the SC.

Either way you can't go wrong, the 2 best models on the planet in my opinion! ;)

Reactions: CVS

speaking of Petes expertise on the topic, this is an enlightening picture Of the compactness to consider. I find the single cut extremely comfortable for sitting in my lap, but I also find the double cut simiilarly comfortable when sitting,
but I think that compactness could be comfortable for longer maybe. Pretty cool picture the 594 brother and sister
IMG_0563_zpsicssfcb3.jpg

Rob Chapman and The Captain did a great comparison video on youtube about the two models.

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I am curious if the SC 594 is different enough to be the ultimate PRS LP-killer. Enough so that it could replace my R9 - I love THAT particular sound for recording, but otherwise don't like the weight, ergonomics, etc.. to gig or rehearse.

I know that's a tough question and sometimes unpopular to continue asking as most always say a PRS will always sound different and they both do different things well. But it seems like if there ever could be a model that's 95% of the way there, it would be the SC 594, right?

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I am curious if the SC 594 is different enough to be the ultimate PRS LP-killer. Enough so that it could replace my R9 - I love THAT particular sound for recording, but otherwise don't like the weight, ergonomics, etc.. to gig or rehearse.

I know that's a tough question and sometimes unpopular to continue asking as most always say a PRS will always sound different and they both do different things well. But it seems like if there ever could be a model that's 95% of the way there, it would be the SC 594, right?
IMHO Yes!!! At least for the DC (I don't own a SC)

Last edited:
Also...Since we helped you, you're obligated to post pictures when she arrives.

I love the aesthetics of the single cut - the grace of the PRS traditional shape allied to a soupcon of Les Paul.
I adore the 'Blood Orange' one that Lee Anderton starts playing at 51:12 here:

Back