Looking for small SS/modeling amp suggestions

I'm happy with my current Headrush Gigboard + FRFR rig!

In fact, I was happy with all my previous mfxs! I had a Boss GT-100 previously, a Boss GT-1 prior to that, and a few other GTs before all.

I think you'll do good with a GT-1. My demo..

Just to put a fly in the ointment, I have a Tech 21 trademark 30 that is very nice at low volume, will get an incredible number of sounds, weighs 15 lbs with the gig bag, and has a line out. I use it as a recording amp. Engineers love it because it’s a sans amp with a speaker. You’ll have to go used at this point.

Just to put a fly in the ointment, I have a Tech 21 trademark 30 that is very nice at low volume, will get an incredible number of sounds, weighs 15 lbs with the gig bag, and has a line out. I use it as a recording amp. Engineers love it because it’s a sans amp with a speaker. You’ll have to go used at this point.

Great, underrated amp.

I had a THR10C which I liked, but the tones, impressive as they are on such a tiny amp, began to feel like emulations after a while. I grabbed an Orange 20RT to replace it, and I'm having tons of fun. It definitely has its own voice, and pairs well with my SE Custom 24s.

Last edited:
I used to gig with a Tech 21 Trademark 60.
Great pedal platform and not bad all by itself either.
I have 2 other Tech 21 Trademark 60’s. There’s a 1/12 with an Eminence red, white and blues Patriot that stays in my car for the last 15 years., either as a main amp or a backup. Then there’s a 4/10, which is like a super reverb that weighs 47 pounds. The only problem with the big boy I’d that it needs volume to sing, then it’ll make your ears bleed. Perfect when the PRS 2 channel 30 isn’t loud enough, which is rarely.

My main non-tube amp is a Trademark 60 that I have owned for 10 years.

Sometimes I practice with guys who are all playing acoustic instruments and none are plugged in until the actual performance. When we meet to practice, I take my Micro Cube. It was a Craigs List find about 10 years ago. Saw it listed in my area for $60. When I went there to get it, the guy said " are you related to Randy?" I said, yes that he was my uncle, my dad's brother. He said "well I used to play music with Randy all the time, so you can have it for $50." Deal. I've used that thing HUNDREDS of times. In fact, I had one weekly gig for over 2 years that was usually just me and an acoustic guitar player/singer. We were in a room with about 25-30 people and he wasn't mic'd or plugged in. I'd just take the Micro Cube. We played bluesy stuff and it was never turned up past 10:00 on the Marshall setting. Now, when I rehearse with the bluegrass buys I have to turn it up louder. Those banjo's are annoyingly loud! In fact, they're just annoying in general. LOL

I'll also give a nod to the Yamaha THR10s. Very useful amp to have around the house. Run off batteries, plug in a phone to jam with, sound good at low volumes, don't have endless menus to tweak and most of all, don't look out of place sat in the lounge - mine lives in the little slot in the TV unit where a VHS player would have once lived.

I'm intending to buy myself a Strymon iridium once they are back in stock at the end of the month. Modeling amp with only 3 amp types and a few knobs to twiddle. Perfect for someone who doesn't want to suffer from option paralysis!

This.

I had a Kemper and an Amplifire 12. Endless amount of amps and effects and settings. Amplifire 12 has 128 max on profiles. More on your PC.

Rabbit hole... option paralysis... either works.

Sold both. Went back to tube amps with the exception of a grab & go Katana 50.

I may look into the Yamaha/Strymon option...

This.

I had a Kemper and an Amplifire 12. Endless amount of amps and effects and settings. Amplifire 12 has 128 max on profiles. More on your PC.

Rabbit hole... option paralysis... either works.

Sold both. Went back to tube amps with the exception of a grab & go Katana 50.

I may look into the Yamaha/Strymon option...
There are so many great options out there now. It's a wonderful time to play guitar.

Strymon Iridium and a headrush FR108... sounds like a very portable, probably even airline friendly rig for ~$600 or so. I like the Yamaha THR as a potential living room option. My wife is not a big fan of me dragging gear out of my office. I used to use a Roland mini cube for that, but one of the boys “borrowed” it.

Last edited:
Back