Looking for pickup Suggestions for a 594

csquared

Looking to replace the pickups on my PRS 594. Played with pole heights and settings. The pickups themselves aren't bad, just not what I am looking for in this instrument. They have some vintage PAF flavor, I want something a little more versatile. I have another PRS Custom 24, I dropped in Duncan Custom Custom and a Jazz and the combo sounds great in that guitar, does classic rock and blues with zest. It does not do much once you start getting into Master of Puppets riffs and beyond. It also has a trem and a longer scale length vs the 594. Both have ebony boards.

As this is more of LPish inspired clone, I thought about going with a set of DiMarzios that I have in most of my LPs, but the Air Norton and and the AT-1 respond very different with a cover than without, and I want to go with something that will have a cover on it.

Looking for improved sustain, great harmonics, and a tighter low end that can handle some heavy riffs and the occasional drop D tuning.

Not sure if the SD Custom 5 vs Custom Custom would do the trick in the bridge. If the Pegasus and Sentient were readily available with a nickel cover I might consider trying something more modern. Going with a set of Al D DMZ might also be worth trying, I've had them in a few Les Pauls over the years and always a fun set, a little grunt and yet very vocal.

Side note, I have yet to find anything with a ceramic magnet in the bridge that doesn't sound a little harsh to my ears, so A5, A2, maybe an A8 or an A4. I did like a few pups with ceramics in the neck. Also the SD JB never did anything for me personally.

Drop Wolfe at Wolfetone an email and tell him exactly the sound you want and he'll steer you right. He's one of the nicest guys out there.

if you want on the paf side of things in LPish territory but with a little more raunch and sweetness with versatility check out Wolfetone Dr Vintage/Marshallhead combo. I prefer the Marshallhead with A2 but go A5 for edgier. I've tried a handful of his pickups and that's my favorite combo that sounds good in everything I've tried so far.

Make sure to tell Wolfe if you want potterd or upotted and it's going in a PRS. He'll probably suggest a short leg baseplate.

I can't comment on DiMarzio. Its not a brand thats ever grabbed me. I've always been more of a SD guy for big brand swaps. I really like the combo you chose for the Cu24, I think it sounds great.

Another vote for 59/09 if you go PRS. Those and 57/08 are excellent pickups. My next prs branded pickup swap would be 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge. That combo would be the best of both worlds to my ears.

my current thinking is that lower output pickups tend to have more clarity and character and they can be boosted for more output, for that tighter higher gain stuff. This isn't based on tons of pickup swaps over many guitars, so take it with a grain of salt! I went from HFS to JB to Tremonti to JB to 59/09 in my CE24 bridge position. I like the 59/09 most. covers Allman brothers really well (love that Blue Sky lead! I roll the tone back to about 7 for it) and covers Master of Puppets very well too. A lot is in the amp though. I'm using fractal, so quite a range of amp options and quite easy to boost signal from the pickups. In the neck position I have a duncan Alnico II Pro which I really like as well.

Every time I pick up my Se CU24 with the Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays in it I wonder why I own any other guitars. If I could I would put them in everything.

Another vote for 59/09 if you go PRS. Those and 57/08 are excellent pickups. My next prs branded pickup swap would be 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge. That combo would be the best of both worlds to my ears.

I've got this combination in my Wood Library Custom 24 and it is amazing....especially when split.

Back