Looking for my first PRS

Skydog

not for my “main” guitar, but something to gig with worry-free. I'm looking really hard at a Bernie.

Nice choice.
SE 245, S2 singlecut, or an older McCarty are worthy as well.
McCarty is too much for this guitar. There is a custom 24 se trampas green by me for $500, but I just don't get along with the wide/thin neck.

Last edited:
<$500, set neck, 22 frets, G scale, no wide thin neck

New or used?

Nothing comes with a Gibson scale (24.75") - not even the Bernie (24.5) which has the same scale as the SE 245. At a $500 limit, I think the options maybe a bit limited. There is quite a few choices for a 22 fret guitar but you either have a 24.5" or 25" scale length to pick from. The Zach Myers is a great 24.5" semi-hollow SE if you can find one used - also has a wide fat neck like the SE 245.

If you are looking new, you may find an SE 245 Standard.

If you are happy to go up to a 25", you may find a used Custom 22 but I think that's all the 22 fret guitars that don't have a wide thin neck too. All the signature SE's that fit your requirements seem to be built on the SE 245 model so it depends on whether you want PRS's spec or the signature spec of either Bernie or Zach Myers. Everything else is either 24fret, 25" scale or Wide Thin neck. Some of these you may struggle to find for $500 - certainly if you are looking for a 'new' guitar with the SE 245 Standard possibly at that price point - the others will be more than that new. Bernies guitar is discontinued so the only option is likely to be used.

Of the choices, I would recommend the Zach Myers as that is perhaps the best SE guitar let alone one that fits the spec you are looking for. Its incredibly versatile too so suitable for ALL genres and considering you haven't mentioned the style of music you play, the ZM will be more than adequate. The downside is that they are over budget 'new' and because they are so good, maybe difficult to find on the used market.

Hands down...for a budget gig workhorse, my SE245 is the best I’ve encountered. Heck, for a gig workhorse on any budget, it’s one of the best I’ve encountered. Buy smart, not just opportunistically, and tweak to taste. Most of the time it’s all about the individual guitar but PRS’ consistency makes it more likely that you’ll find one more frequently. Btw, a Bernie is an SE245 with his tweaks.

Of the parameters I listed, the scale length (most modern 1990’s+ Gibsons run around 24.56, hasn't been 24.75 for ~65 years) is least important, a non-wide thin neck the most important. I had a 63 SG JR for years because I couldn't bring myself to sell it, in spite of the neck!

<$500, set neck, 22 frets, G scale, no wide thin neck
Add a little bit more and you may find a used S2 Standard 22. It's like a swiss knife, it could do almost everything. As it is a hybrid, a US body built along the core models with import parts, it is a good mod platform later on if you wish. I was thinking of replacing mine with fully US parts - pickups, electronics, and all... but I couldn't justify it as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the orig parts.

Here is my demo:

I hope you will find your first PRSi! I am not parting with my S2 ever! I tried a Singlecut SE, but I just couldn't gel with it.

Bernie’s are great! I absolutely adore mine.

9Gp9P9t.jpg

Hands down...for a budget gig workhorse, my SE245 is the best I’ve encountered. Heck, for a gig workhorse on any budget, it’s one of the best I’ve encountered. Buy smart, not just opportunistically, and tweak to taste. Most of the time it’s all about the individual guitar but PRS’ consistency makes it more likely that you’ll find one more frequently. Btw, a Bernie is an SE245 with his tweaks.

I was also thinking of an SC245. They are quite good and should have a modestly beefy neck carve. I've always seen them used for well under $500.00. Check Reverb, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

Used SE Bernie, SE Tremonti, SE 245, SE Zach Myers, all check your boxes, the Tremonti with or without a vibrato.

+1 on the 245, check dave’s guitar shop, there are several great used ones there now for well under your budget.

P.S.
The black soapbar looks very tempting, might get it myself unless someone beats me to it.;)

I was also thinking of an SC245. They are quite good and should have a modestly beefy neck carve. I've always seen them used for well under $500.00. Check Reverb, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
I don't see any SC 245’s for that…

Raise your budget limit and buy a used ce22
I could; or raise it even further and buy a private stock, wood library, ten top, artist pack, the list goes on. But that's not the niche I'm trying to fill.

Back