Looking for help with I.D. of SE custom 22 semi hollow mystery guitar

Paul M

Hi, hoping some of you prs experts can help me solve my problem with finding the correct ID/Description for my recent PRS aquisition. I have spent HOURS researching and can't find a match for this guitar. I will attach some pic's but here are some details: The serial number has the S prefix followed by 5 numerals, the ID chart on the site indicates that as 2018 SE made in Korea. Sounds good as all spec's such as 2) 85/15 HH's, 1 vol and 1 tone with push pull for tap, 1) 3 way switch, pro tuners etc. all match up but here is where things go awry: #1 COLOR is a bright blue quilted or flame with the seam in center (book end ?) with dark blue horizontal striping. The only blue models for that year I found were the McCart sig and "madera" neither of which are close in shade or build. I found some other bluesmen hollow's such as aqua, sapphire, whale blue and a "faded blue burst" which looked the closest in color and finish but none are consistent with year, build or some other discrepancies (different electronics, only in 24 fret, or solid body etc.) #2 this guitar has off white / cream? color binding at body, neck, headstock AND F hole!
I looked at probably 150 to 200 SE Custom 22 semi's and NONE had any binding at the F hole. My research revealed that PRS has a huge number of limited editions, special editions, re-issues of anniversary editions and so on and so on. I suspect that this guitar must fall into some such category But I an exhausted at this point so I figured maybe I could end my mystery by reaching out to you here for a solution. I know how passionate many of you are about PRS guitars and some of you are virtual walking encyclopedia's on everything PRS so I pass this along to you with high hopes and utmost appreciation. Sincerely PM

Thanks for response and excuse my ignorance but can you be more specific? what exactly is a "shop exclusive" Iam unfamiliar with that term. Are we talking some sort of "one off" or another limited or special edition to an exclusive distributor? I plan on selling the guitar and want to provide an accurate description. Thanks again, PM
P.S. Had trouble posting pic's and read the "how to" in general discussion forum. WOW! it's absurd

I meant sometimes a shop does a limited order on some SE’s with special/exclusive features.

Like, I own an all black satin finished SE Santana from Sweetwater. Brian’s Guitars did a run of Zack Meyers in different colors that weren’t available stock, and then there were “exotic” veneers on some Holcomb’s and Customs for a minute.

Then there were guitars like yours that had binding on them that didn’t usually come on them, and some with like, faux tortoise binding.

They weren’t necessarily named by PRS as a different model or anything.

Dave’s Guitar Shop had a ton of those for sale about five years ago. I know I bought one only PRS I ever returned and btw they were great about it. Nothing to do with that particular run just not for me.

That would be the right time frame. Serial number comes up 2018 so yep. If you don't mind can I ask what the original retail cost was? I would think it reasonable that a special order with solid figured maple top, custom color and finish on headstock as well as body along with cream or ivory? binding at F hole (Very unique) body, Neck and Headstock would all add up to a higher price tag wholesale (from PRS) and at retail from Dave' Guitars? Also do you recall what the color/finish was called? I have looked at every Blue color PRS I can find regardless of model or year and have yet to come up with a "for sure" exact match. The closest color match I have found is the "Faded Blue Burst" but it lacks the distinctive center seam and dark horizontal striping. Apologies for the lengthy info requests but I'm a stickler about accuracy and thorough descriptions when I post my sale Listings so any details you can recall will be immensely appreciated! Thanks again, PM

Hi, hoping some of you prs experts can help me solve my problem with finding the correct ID/Description for my recent PRS aquisition. I have spent HOURS researching and can't find a match for this guitar. I will attach some pic's but here are some details: The serial number has the S prefix followed by 5 numerals, the ID chart on the site indicates that as 2018 SE made in Korea. Sounds good as all spec's such as 2) 85/15 HH's, 1 vol and 1 tone with push pull for tap, 1) 3 way switch, pro tuners etc. all match up but here is where things go awry: #1 COLOR is a bright blue quilted or flame with the seam in center (book end ?) with dark blue horizontal striping. The only blue models for that year I found were the McCart sig and "madera" neither of which are close in shade or build. I found some other bluesmen hollow's such as aqua, sapphire, whale blue and a "faded blue burst" which looked the closest in color and finish but none are consistent with year, build or some other discrepancies (different electronics, only in 24 fret, or solid body etc.) #2 this guitar has off white / cream? color binding at body, neck, headstock AND F hole!
I looked at probably 150 to 200 SE Custom 22 semi's and NONE had any binding at the F hole. My research revealed that PRS has a huge number of limited editions, special editions, re-issues of anniversary editions and so on and so on. I suspect that this guitar must fall into some such category But I an exhausted at this point so I figured maybe I could end my mystery by reaching out to you here for a solution. I know how passionate many of you are about PRS guitars and some of you are virtual walking encyclopedia's on everything PRS so I pass this along to you with high hopes and utmost appreciation. Sincerely PM
Like this ? Blue Matteo

Like the above, however mine had a volume, tone and three way switch. I don’t remember the cost but not to be a downer, they make a ton of SE guitars so it’s like any mass produced instrument basically you’ll get what the market can bare. Price always sells used gear. Good luck and I like that you chase accuracy the more info you can give the better. Also the top on all SE’s are thin veneer over a maple cap then the Hog body.

Yep, that's one, right colors just different pattern. Mine has very distinct center seam and unbroken horizontal dark stripes over the lighter blue, rather than the sort of random spotted look, I also noticed the serial # prefix is T instead of Mine S. so it's a '2089 one tear newer that my 2018. But in every other respect definitely the same. Interestingly I finally found another match: same year and color pattern titled "Special Limited Run" a "dead ringer' and also from the UK just different UK shop "Sound Affects.com" and item "out of Stock". In the mean time I got a response from PRS customer service rep who I reached out to just before registering with this forum. Very Prompt, courteous and informative stating: guitar was definitely not standard stock item and had to be an exclusive request limited run Most Likely to International distributor. ie; UK in this case.
Bottom Line: All of you from Sergio's 1st reply about "Shop Exclusive" thru the other reply's were dead on the mark with your info and comments, Re-enforced by the PRS Rep's follow up. I now how everything I need to move forward with a thorough and accurate Sale Listing of a pretty obscure HTF item which would have been impossible without all of your Help.
I can't tell you how impressed (and Grateful) I am with the members of this Forum, Prs customer service and this entire web site.
1st Class from beginning to end, you have my sicerest thanks and appreciation for lending your expertise and time to help me resolve my dilemma. HIGH 5's to ALL! Paul M

There are many SE Runs that are 'Limited' to specific shops, specific markets etc - Europe for example may get a Run with slightly different specs (roasted Maple necks, Quilted Veneers etc) and they are not usually priced any differently to standard spec SE's - at least no more than $/£50 from the regular RRP.

As such, they don't tend to command a higher price and as you have found, when sold used, they don't make any reference to the 'run' that corresponds to the 'unusual' spec which more often than not causes people to question whether its a 'fake' PRS because they were not aware of these special SE runs.

As long as the serial number and PRS database can confirm its legitimacy, then all that really matters is whether or not you enjoy the instrument.

Here is an example of some Special Run SE's with Fade style finishes - something you only expect in Private Stock
PRS-SE-Custom-24-in-limited-edition-Fade-finishes-1.jpg

As long as its legitimate and you like it, does it really matter?

Many Thanks to all! Outstanding resource former hard to find info on Pro Guitars! By far the best guitar site forum I have signed up on. A real pleasure dealing with professional, Knowledgeable members! Most Appreciated & Sincere Thanks! PM

Back