Looking for Hardcore options for SE 245

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davesultra, Mar 4, 2018.

1. davesultra

davesultra New Member

Just picked up a new SE 245 and am looking for a case. Just looking for something a bit more sturdy than the gigbag that came with it. The guitar will most likely not be transported, it'll just stay in my music room. Nearest $200 for an actual PRS case is a bit steep. Will it fit properly in any of the multi-fit cases?

2. davesultra

davesultra New Member

Please pardon the type-o on the title, it should read "hardshell" not "hardcore". Stupid auto-correct!:mad:

3. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I’ve never tried it in a stock multi-fit case. Give me a few minutes and I’ll go check...

bodia likes this.
  4. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ Devil

5. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Ok, here’s the scoop...

There’s a yes and no, but mostly no. :(

The standard, black, universal case was a flat no. Mine is from the early 2000s, so maybe some aspect of fit has been changed since.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On a whim, I pulled out my 25th anni case. It almost fit. There was still a gap at the neck, but it was slight and would probably be snugged in when the lid was closed. Don’t take my word for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I adore my SE gig bags and schlep my good guitars in them all the time...as recently as yesterday.

dmatthews likes this.
  6. davesultra

davesultra New Member

I mostly wanted to get a case because I like to line up my cases on their sides in the music room. Hard to find a good stable place to set the gigbag.

7. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay...

I've got a few inexpensive LP cases for the same purposes as you. The neck angle is shallower on the PRS which causes the neck to set high of it's "cradle" (see pic above).
    The easy fix is to put a right-sized towel or cloth under the body to raise it up enough for the neck to set flat.