Looking for Feedback on Single Cuts - TMSC245, SC250, SC-58

The Viking Gangster

There's a 2010 McCarty SC245 that I am interested in testing out at Willies.

Also, there are few SC250 3 1/2 hours away at Dave's Guitars that I may want to try out too, along with a SC-58

Are there big differences between them? Does the scale length change the sound? And do the 57/08 pickup sound a lot different than the pickup in the SC250.

Any tuning issue with the Klusons?

Thanks

SC-58 is a great guitar +1000 if you are a fan of short scale fat frets fat necks :)
SC245 should be pretty similar to the SC58
SC250 has ( or should have ) higher output pickups and a 25" scale
don't think you can go wrong with anything you have listed

If you try the McCarty SC245 you may not feel the need to try anything else. They are really good guitars.

It wouldn't hurt to make the trip to Dave's though - I've gone farther to try a guitar.

I don't feel there is a big difference between the two scales, but the shorter one is, too me, a bit ballsier - more prominent bottom end. Not sure about the pickups. I think I have 59/09 in my SC250.

Having had the SC its 25 inch scale, the SC245, the Stripped 58, the SC58 and now the McCarty Singlecut, here's what I think:

The shorter scale sounds a little bit different from the 25 inch scale...maybe a little fatter, maybe a little more focused. Even pinch harmonics seem to come more easily.

The two-piece bridge gives you a woodier and more vintage sound than the one piece wrap bridge.

The 57/08 pickups sound great in these guitars.

I only have 1 SC and it is a SC245. One thing that I could safely say is that it is not Gibson Les Paul copy but a different beast of its own. Very, very nice guitar and you could not go wrong with any of them.

If you make the trip to Daves you'd better bring extra cash. No way you get in and out with just one!

I'll echo what everyone has already said on the 245. Love it!

The SC-58 is a great platform for all the reasons stated above. The 57/08s are truly brilliant. The SC-58 pictured in my avatar is my #1.

Back