Looking for another fixed bridge PRS

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
I have a few trem PRS models, and hopefully adding a DW24 with a Floyd at some point. But I’ve been doing things with alternate tunings lately, so it’s be nice to have another fixed bridge guitar. What models would you consider that would bring something interesting? For trems, I have a DGT, CE22 Std, and a CE24 Johnny Hiland w/ 53/10s.

Thought about a 594 but I haven’t played those pickups. Also thought about a Studio cuz they have the Narrowfields. Ok, thoughts?

I chose a Paul’s Guitar because of the fixed bridge and the pickups. Had the PTC add a middle narrowfield and a three-way switch, off/on/middle only that just added so much versatility to the guitar. I recommend checking one out.

Also added a Tremol No to a Brushstroke 24 a little before that. I’m very pleased with how it makes the guitar almost sound like a fixed bridge. So there’s an option, if you’re not opposed to modding a tremolo bridge guitar.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of whichever one you choose.

@LackingWit - Ah that’s right, Paul’s guitar. Good idea. I think I’d prefer not to add a Tremolo-No, but I’ll keep that in mind.

@dmatthews - I’d love to add a Soapy of some variety, but there’s this transformer outside our place that kills us with EMI. I get noise inductance with humbuckers as it is. Very frustrating. I’m afraid P90s would do me in.

@WA Paul - The P22 is another good idea. I’ve been wanting to try piezo pickups at some point.

There are numerous options available. It really depends on what you prefer, what it is you are looking for and style of music. The most obvious is the 594 as you mentioned and I personally love the 58/15 LT's. They are certainly more vintage voiced but also have great clarity too that don't get overly muddy with gain. The 594 comes in both single and double cut as well as choices to have a solid, semi-hollow or hollow body as well so plenty of options.

The 58/15 LT PU's are also on the Hollowbody ii which also adds a Piezo which can blended in or even sent separately to an Acoustic Amp or PA whilst sending the Magnetics to a guitar amp. It certainly handles gain well too - much better than the Plywood hollowbody guitars like the 335 for example - so could be an option for something different.

There is also the original McCarty (not the McCarty 594) which also has the fixed wrap around bridge. This is a thicker body, like the 594 and DGT and, as you have a DGT, would be the guitar that Dave Grissom used before he tweaked one to get his Signature model. It maybe the closest guitar to what you have with the DGT but with a wrap around fixed bridge.

I notice some one mentioned the P22 but the current P22 and P24 for that matter look like they come with the trem bridge - at least the new models so you may have to look to the used market. As you have the CE models of both the 22 and 24 fret guitars, these maybe different enough to warrant purchasing but similar enough too. Another option could be a P245 as well but PRS don't make these anymore but you may find one somewhere.

The only other that's currently part of the core line is Paul's guitar. I believe the 408 comes with a trem so the Paul's the only speciality and Signature model that comes with the wrap-around as standard. The new ones come with the TCI pick-ups which are supposed to be the most authentic SC sounds with little/no drop in volume.

Of course all of these are different and as such, it really does depend on what you are looking for. There could be some S2 options that may well be better for you - especially if you want a no frills workhorse. Both the Vela and the S2 Singlecut offer a fixed bridge and you may find these offer all you want/need from a fixed bridge guitar at a much lower cost point.

Older McCarty or a Mira would be great. The 25” scale seems to handle alternate tunings well, and they’re both selling for much less than they’re worth on the used market.
That’s true. A McCarty or even a Custom 22 can be had for good prices used. Just have to factor in new pickups possibly. Maybe I’d like the McCarty pickups, but from experience so far, I think I prefer PRS’ newer pickup designs.

McCarty. Wonderful guitar, fantastic pickups, stoptail bridge, 25" scale - what more could you ask for?

Back