Looking for advice on Starla Core tuners

ChickenRob

I just picked up a Starla Core 2012. I really like it. It’s my third PRS and my first Core model (my other 2 are S2s). Any thoughts on direct drop in replacements for locking tuners? I just prefer them for ease of string changes.

I have a 2012 Starla that I upgraded the tuners with PRS Vintage locking tuners.

You will want to change the ferrules. The OG posts are a hair larger and the new tuning posts leaned in the ferrule hole. The old tuner post would not fit through the new ferrule.

Press out the old ferrules. I used a small Arbor Press and a PRS hardtail stud to press them out.

Get a reamer from Amazon and do not drill the holes! The outer diameter of the new ferrule is larger than the OG. Then press the new ones back in with thin pieces of wood to cover the ferrules and headstock until flush.

After all that the new tuners will drop right in. Hole screws and plate match perfectly.

On my Starla the OG tuners had about 1\4 turn of play on them otherwise I would not have bothered.

I'll make a post on the process. With the "oversized" OG ferrule hole I'm nor sure any tuner will drop right in without the lean, although I did go directly for the PRS Vintage Locking and didn't try any others.

Hope this helps. You got dirty birds??

Look into the lockers that Kluson makes now. Check the shaft size on those. I don't know if you have any measuring tools that will let you measure these parts at a precision level. I have a couple of PRS that have the vintage tuners in them. I have not changed them out. I can change strings on them in about the same amount of time as locking tuners.

I have a 2012 Starla that I upgraded the tuners with PRS Vintage locking tuners.

You will want to change the ferrules. The OG posts are a hair larger and the new tuning posts leaned in the ferrule hole. The old tuner post would not fit through the new ferrule.

Press out the old ferrules. I used a small Arbor Press and a PRS hardtail stud to press them out.

Get a reamer from Amazon and do not drill the holes! The outer diameter of the new ferrule is larger than the OG. Then press the new ones back in with thin pieces of wood to cover the ferrules and headstock until flush.

After all that the new tuners will drop right in. Hole screws and plate match perfectly.

On my Starla the OG tuners had about 1\4 turn of play on them otherwise I would not have bothered.

I'll make a post on the process. With the "oversized" OG ferrule hole I'm nor sure any tuner will drop right in without the lean, although I did go directly for the PRS Vintage Locking and didn't try any others.

Hope this helps. You got dirty birds??

I’m not sure what constitutes “dirty birds”. I’m new to PRS. I’ve definitely got the bird inlays though.

I have since learned what the dirty birds are, and I’ve got ‘em.
You learned the way I did...bought a Core Starla with them and someone made a comment about dirty birds.

Looking forward to a pic, good sir. What color? Is it Satin finish? Bigsby??

:). Congrats no matter what. I'll make a post of my tuner upgrade. Doing it right made the process a lot easier.

Pictures coming soon. I just picked up a second core Starla with dots. Waiting for it to come.

I’m a pretty solid middle aged bassist, and a very crappy guitarist. I’ve just gotten back into guitar a little over a year ago and bought a s2 35th anniversary in whale blue. I liked it so much I grabbed an s2 single cut standard and got some fralin P92s for it last month. Also last month my first core Starla and now another. All 4 in different blues, 2 with birds, 2 with dots, one standard trem, one hard tail, 2 with bigsbys. Ordered the Reverend springs and other bigsby upgrade parts for both last night. Now looking for locking tuners. These are addictive, but I’m done for now. Just need to get some custom pickguards for the 3 that have them, and I want to try zexcoil tribuckers in the 35th anniversary S2. If I like them, I may do a HHH in one of the starlas (I love an HSH setup as well as a 3 P90 setup).

Whew. Expensive hobby, but cheaper than my basses.

Pictures coming soon. I just picked up a second core Starla with dots. Waiting for it to come.

I’m a pretty solid middle aged bassist, and a very crappy guitarist. I’ve just gotten back into guitar a little over a year ago and bought a s2 35th anniversary in whale blue. I liked it so much I grabbed an s2 single cut standard and got some fralin P92s for it last month. Also last month my first core Starla and now another. All 4 in different blues, 2 with birds, 2 with dots, one standard trem, one hard tail, 2 with bigsbys. Ordered the Reverend springs and other bigsby upgrade parts for both last night. Now looking for locking tuners. These are addictive, but I’m done for now. Just need to get some custom pickguards for the 3 that have them, and I want to try zexcoil tribuckers in the 35th anniversary S2. If I like them, I may do a HHH in one of the starlas (I love an HSH setup as well as a 3 P90 setup).

Whew. Expensive hobby, but cheaper than my basses.
If your core Starla guitars have the stock pickups in them, they are fantastic and part of what makes them sound the way they do. They are another pickup that was only offered in the guitar stock.

Yes, I got a second Starla because I liked the pickups so much. I want one with the stock pickups and one I want to try the zexcoil tribuckers. No matter what I think of the zexcoils, the extra set of Starla pickups will not be for sale.

And after confirming fit with John Mann, I ordered the tuners I think will fit.

So for 2 Core Starlas I have ordered all the bigsby upgrades (Reverend spring, Callaham string shaft, 360 arm bracket and roller upgrades), ABM 2400 roller bridge and gotoh Mann Made locking tuners.

Now just need some Zexcoils, custom pick guards, and a full fret dress/set up from my favorite luthier.

Even stock and purchased second hand, these guitars are a ton of fun to play, and play and sound great.

Back