Looking for Advice on Buying my 1st PRS

I haven't played the S pickups but I've been very happy with the 85/15's in both of mine. They have a very full sound with a pleasing top end and they actually sound very good split. They sound good no matter what style I'm playing but they definitely have a distinct tone of their own.

I'm a bad person to ask for guitar-shopping advice, because I will only buy a guitar if I can play it first. I realize that narrows my options down to .01% of the potential guitars out there, but that's just the way I am.

I guess my advice would be to play any and every PRS you can get your hands on, and see what grabs you!

I'm a bad person to ask for guitar-shopping advice, because I will only buy a guitar if I can play it first. I realize that narrows my options down to .01% of the potential guitars out there, but that's just the way I am.

I guess my advice would be to play any and every PRS you can get your hands on, and see what grabs you!

Best advice!

Opinions on the 85/15 S humbucking pickups?

I'm looking at this guitar on Sweetwater's website right now:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU22VST/snR07677
Like others, I am not experienced with what the 85/15 S pickups sound like, but from what I have read, they are great pickups. They are the "import" version of the same 85/15 pickups used in PRS USA-made core models.

I seem to recall you had mentioned an intent to buy a USA-made PRS. That one you are looking at is a great value, but is made in South Korea. That doesn't bother me - I have quite a few Korean-made PRSi, but I thought I should clarify in case you hadn't realized that.

Similarly, you had mentioned you weren't going to look at the "top of the line" models, but instead the mide-level "USA made" line (the S2 line). I would modify Rider1260's description of the three lines to say:

The Core models are, as the name implies, the core of the classic PRS guitar line-up. They are not really the top-of-the-line, because there is an option called the "Artist Package" to partially customize the core model with certain upgrades, then there is dealer-order Wood Library one step up again, and then the true top-of-the-line, the Private Stock models, where you can customize almost infinitely.

The SE line is the import line, where the guitars are made to PRS specifications, but in Korea. They look fantastic, but everything is implemented in such a way to bring the price point down to be far more affordable. The fancy-looking top is a veneer on top of unfigured maple (the core line guitars have a slab of that figured maple), the body carve is simpler, the electronics and hardware are all still high quality but non-USA made, the tuners are non-locking, and you get a gig bag, not a hard case. Probably a few other things too.

The S2 line is an affordable USA-made implementation of many of the core models - using a simpler body shape (but different from SE), less flashy tops, and the import electronics and hardware from the SE line. The S2 line also features models not found in either Core or SE, such as the Vela, Starla, and Mira. (The Starla and Mira used to be core guitars, up until 2012-ish IIRC.) There is another current model, the CE 24 (a bolt-on neck, only one in the line-up), which is essentially an S2 model, but does have a few core-like appointments such as a more fancy carved top and core 85/15 pickups. Like the Mira and Starla, is was a full-blown Core model originally, before the S2 line was created.

Anyway, sorry for all the additional info, thought you might appreciate some further clarification.

If I had to play the guitars I bought beforehand I would own 1 guitar ;( , I find buying PRS unplayed a non stressful deal , I have yet to find one that didn't just kill I have only moved on from some PRS because it got me something I coveted even more :)
Now other brands are a different story completely

Opinions on the 85/15 S humbucking pickups?

I'm looking at this guitar on Sweetwater's website right now:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU22VST/snR07677

I bought that exact Custom 22 SE a couple of months ago. The 85/15 S pickups didn't do it for me when I got the guitar home. I found the bridge too "harsh" sounding when overdriven/distorted (bright, but not in a good way.) Neck pickup was "ok". Very different to the older SE pups that were on my 2009 Custom 22 SE. After all sorts of adjustments, I pulled 85/15 S pups and replaced them with a Duncan Custom/Jazz combo... much better! But, many others find them perfectly fine. Beyond that, the guitar is phenomenal - I still can't believe how much guitar you get for the price. And don't pay list ("MAP") - call any of the good PRS dealers and ask them what kind of deal you can get. I won't say what I paid for mine or where I got it, but no need to pay full boat. ;-)

I appreciate everyone's advice & especially the information on the different levels of PRS which I really didn't know anything about & that is why I joined this forum to learn everything I could up front from you folks steeped in PRS world and your professional opinions on the models you've played & especially those you've kept. And yes - the best advice as it is on almost any guitar is to play it first and I'm going to do that before I purchase.

When I bought my very first Fender Stratocaster I went to the largest Fender dealer in town and proceeded to spend an entire day playing them. One would "assume" that in a room full of American made Strats that only the color and the pickup choices woulkd direct me to the one for me. What surprised me was that even though one would think that they would all feel the same - they didn't. There were a few that literally felt like they were made for my hands. This was back in the late 90's and I ended up buying all 3 of them. USA made Big Apple, the Roadhouse & the Lonestar. I still have them. I also added another strat back in 2006 - an Eric Clapton "Blackie". If they ever come up for sale - you'll know I've passed away. :(

So I hear you & I agree with you. I have to get as many in my hands as possible and then I'll know. I appreciate the great help, comments & assistance and the very welcoming atmosphere rolled out to "the new guy". Thanks everyone so much. Have a wonderful holiday season & the moment I purchase one, I'll post a butt load of pictures. In the meantime, I've got a lot more reading to do on this forum. Thanks everyone!!!!! :cool:

I was sort of in your position about 6 months ago. I have been playing guitar for over 50 years and owned most every make but the PRS. Heard a lot of good stuff and wanted to give it a shot. I went to a forum and asked the same questions, which of course I got the same answers. Problem was I didn't know what I needed to ask. And all the "pick up a few and play them" wasn't much help since there isn't even a music store within a distance I could drive. Limited time being on call. So I bought a Zach Myers SE and wasn't impressed so I sold it and bought more LP's. Of course then I'm told about the foreign made, low end and "core" models and that I was trying the equivalent to a Gibson Epiphone. Not that there is anything wrong with them, just not on par with say a Gibson LP Standard.

So I did a lot of asking and research of my own and bought a PRS Custom 24 Floyd Rose 10 Top. and it rocks. Not going to replace my LP's or Strat but will compliment my collection. I'm a lovers of the 80's metal and this PRS fits the bill better than any of my others. Well, my 83 Kramer Pacer Carrera comes close, but the PRS still shreads like none of the others.

My problem was not asking the right questions. I basically just wanted to know the pecking order of PRS so I didn't end up judging the make from a lower end model. Of course I did just that.

Last edited:
If you are the sort of player that is looking for a specific sound, then a certain make/model of guitar is going to be for you.

If you are a relatively new player, then your point of comparison is less.

I get what @DCDetector is trying to say, being the owner of well made instruments and having a discerning ear for tone that comes with experience, will help in your choice of instrument. The SE range are well made instruments and give a guitarist a taster of the PRS range without hurting the wallet too much.

If you are looking for an instrument on a par with a US LP, then the core range will feel more of the instrument you are wanting.

Tonal comparisons of SE and core pickups are close, however there are specific differences that you will most probably hear when played side by side.

It’s a matter of personal preference, genre of music, etc. The list is probably endless.

Have fun trying out guitars, if there’s a bargain to be had, you’ll probably be racing to it, accompanied by several others on here! You know who you are:D

Back