Looking for Advice on Buying my 1st PRS

RevDavidLee

I've been playing for decades & have a very healthy brothel of guitars. What I don't have (yet) is a PRS guitar. When they first came out I tried a couple & was not impressed. Please don't ask what models I tried because it's been too many years ago & I have no idea which ones I tried. I'm looking for a moderately priced entry into the world of Paul Reed Smith. Thrill me - looking for suggestions. Thanks folks!:)

You have to give us more to work on than that , What kind of playing do you favor , price range you are looking at , smoke signals something

there are 3 lines

SE - Killer Non US made guitars

S2 - USA Made

Core - Top of the line

There is also a heathy used market

Well moderately priced is subjective and I don’t know what you didn’t like about your early prs experiences.
However, I’ll say that my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow does not take a back seat to any of my core PRSs in terms of playability or tone. It may not be as obviously beautiful visually (certainly no slouch, howerver), but I NEVER play it thinking that it’s concession material. Not at all
So that’s one place to look

Well if you tried one back in the mid 80's, they only had two models, one with a maple top and one without. They've tweaked the lineup a little since then (understatement).

Sounds like taking a dip in the used market is a good way to go. You won't spend as much and won't lose much (if at all) if you resell.

Gotta get your hands on a few of them though, to see what works for you.

IThrill me - looking for suggestions.

I love when folks come to the forum, and in their first post, demand that we give them a thrill!

Like we are obligated to spring for a couple of hookers, a motel room, and a crack pipe.

Do I look like I’m in the thrill business? No. You’ll have to talk to Sergio. That’s my suggestion. He knows all the fun places in Chicago.

I love when folks come to the forum, and in their first post, demand that we give them a thrill!

Like we are obligated to spring for a couple of hookers, a motel room, and a crack pipe.

Do I look like I’m in the thrill business? No. You’ll have to talk to Sergio. That’s my suggestion. He knows all the fun places in Chicago.
Dr Schef-tone, you crack me up!

Motel rooms, hookers, crack pipes, words I didn’t think were I your vocabulary:eek:

You have to give us more to work on than that , What kind of playing do you favor , price range you are looking at , smoke signals something

there are 3 lines

SE - Killer Non US made guitars

S2 - USA Made

Core - Top of the line

There is also a heathy used market

I play all types of genres but favor classic rock, blues & some alternative. I hear what you're saying and I should have been more specific. The largest percentage of my entourage are Gibsons & Fenders. I know so little about PRS that the lines you mentioned above are an immediate help to me because that is info I did not know. I will most definitely not be purchasing top of the line because I already have a wide selection - however the reason I am here is because I don't have any PRS in my stable. Price wise I'm going to look at the USA made line. Thanks for your assistance!

:D I lived in Chicago for 8 years but haven't been there for over 30 years so no need to find out the fun places now. I make wherever I am the "fun place" to be at now. :D

P.S. Wife just advised no hookers :(

Dr Schef-tone, you crack me up!

Motel rooms, hookers, crack pipes, words I didn’t think were I your vocabulary:eek:

Les has some distict experiences in law issues ;-)
But to the thread opener @RevDavidLee: The model profile of PRS is very wide. Singlecuts, Doublecuts, Semi-Hollows, vibrato, non vibrato, piezo, different scales...
My evergreen recommendation is... if you cannot name your personal requirements, buy a very versatile PRS. 509, used 513.

So if you are thinking you will have only one ( Big Mistake PRS are like chip you can't have just one ) I would start with something uniquely PRS

If you can a core PRS is something special IMHO tho new ones can be above the budget of some used examples can be had fro VERY reasonable prices

1) CU 24 or 22 - These pretty much started it all
2) Santana - Just a cool guitar not for everyone but so fun
3) 513/509/408/305/NF-3 - The Numbered Guitars -- All this are unique to PRS and just killer fun :)

I have heard great things about the S2 series many rave abound the CU22 semi hollow

To be honest I have yet to get a PRS that I didn't love , I have moved some for others that I more often love more and scratch an itch in the collection and I often buy the ones I sell back
Lots of great dealers on the forum that would LOVE to help you out.
Best of luck in your search

Thanks guys! Been looking at different models online most of the day. There's a lot to take in. Which of course is a good thing :cool:

To trem, or not to trem......that is the question.....whether it is more noble to plant your hand on the stop tailpiece, or rock the whammy.....To me this is the biggest decision to be made. I started with a 24 fret Mira which is now up for sale on the bay. I have been struck with whammy madness for the last 2 years, so that has perverted my PRS buying. /1 of each would be best.

I think my first impression of prs guitars may be similar to yours. I played one back In the early 90s. I don't remember what it was but I do remember being turned off by the tone immediately. I'm going to assume it had HFS bridge pickup which I don't care for. That was enough to turn me off.

Almost ten years went by before I got interested in them. Now that's all I play. Still don't have an HFS in any of my prs guitars. Their vintage style pickups rule!

Back