Looking For A P-90 SE

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Never had a P-90 equipped guitar - budget being a concern. Any recommendations between the SE Soapbar II vs. SE Korina One?

Heard alot of good things about the SE Korina One, but there are a few good used SBIIs in my area...

IMHO, a P-90 in the neck is a wonderful thing. Humbucker neck pickups can be hit or miss but I've never played a P-90 neck pickup that I thought sounded bad. That said, the SE One is great too. Get both.

SE soapbars are one of the best sounding guitars on the market today. Of course that's my opinion..but it's my post so...LOL

THE tone that haunts me still is Boogie's SE One through his Marshall Class 5...both cranked.....I have readied my wife for the soon to be bought SE One hog....

Found a 2004 SE Soapbar for sale locally...interesting, this one has 1V 2T & a 3-way. All the SES I have seen have only 1T...

I think it depends on what body style you want and which way you want the sound to lean.

I love the thin body of the SBII, and I'm into the double cut shape. It sounds an awful lot like an SG.
The Korinas I've seen were really nice, too. I'd expect them to have a little more of the LP Junior vibe.

SE soapbars are one of the best sounding guitars on the market today. Of course that's my opinion..but it's my post so...LOL

THE tone that haunts me still is Boogie's SE One through his Marshall Class 5...both cranked.....I have readied my wife for the soon to be bought SE One hog....

Here I was, relaxing in bed, drinking my coffee, catching up on my forum reading when Dane stoked the coals. :cool: Now I have to go fire up the C5...LOL! When my son gives me the stink eye for waking him up, I'll blame you, my man. :)

A 2 pup P-90 guitar is high on my list to buy, but I still HIGHLY recommend an all 'hog SE One. Don't be afraid of a higher action and beat the crap outta those strings...Angus Young style.

Found a 2004 SE Soapbar for sale locally...interesting, this one has 1V 2T & a 3-way. All the SES I have seen have only 1T...

I have a 2003 SE Soapbar. It's a very, very nice guitar. Mine has one volume, one tone and a 3-way and is stock. Had an SE One before this one and liked it a lot too but the Soapbar is more flexible

I have one of the last SEII Soapbars in black but I added a custom pickguard and vintage amber knobs for sass... Soundwise is remarkable how bell-like, chimey, bluesy and utterly downright filthy this thing can be... Chiming through a Super Reverb amp is like Motown in your room... bust it wide open on the bridge through a Tweed Deluxe and you cum in your pants! Great neck too.

SuperandPRS.jpg

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering this mint condition SE One in white for sale locally in mint condition for only $250.

b81770aa0ed7c69dac5bdc45d177bee6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering this mint condition SE One in white for sale locally in mint condition for only $250.

b81770aa0ed7c69dac5bdc45d177bee6.jpg
Um, yeah...steal!!! I always like the in between sound of neck and bridge P90 though.

All the guitars I use on a regular basis have a humbucker sized p-90 in the neck, I just love them for clean stuff and lead work!

I've been thinking lately a SE semi-hollow soap bar would be a wonderful thing! Anyone played one?

Took me half a year, finally found one in really really great shape (Merry XMAS), and if I had to keep only one SE it would be her:

052-1.jpg

Did some scratch tracks with her and directly our through the redbox on the Tubemeister she sounds amazing. Did three tracks, three different pickup positions, varying degrees of volume and gain. It's amazing how many sounds you can get out of this guitar, how sweet and raunchy you can get with one single instrument. Want more. Might check out one of the new SE 245 Soapbars when they hit my store, but I love the combination of the light hollowbody and P90s, and the SE 245 is quite a chunk of guitar...will be interesting to hear the differences.

Back