Looking for a non-modelling amp

j.a.

#releasethesoapbar
Currently I own a Fender Mustang GTX50 that from time to time freezes and in other it looks it loads the software wrongly and sounds odd, however when it works properly, it sounds great. And yes, it has the latest firmware.

I want something simpler, so I'd like a few opinions on non-modelling amps out there from the big brands as not so many boutique manufacturers are available in Australia.

I play clean tones mostly and sometimes a bit of OD from my Tumnus pedal.

at the moment the Roland JC22 is on my sight (although pricey) and also the Orange Crush 35RT. Any other recommendations for a solid state amp? Please note that I tried the Katana and it's not suitable for my playing.

Cheers

Currently I own a Fender Mustang GTX50 that from time to time freezes and in other it looks it loads the software wrongly and sounds odd, however when it works properly, it sounds great. And yes, it has the latest firmware.

I want something simpler, so I'd like a few opinions on non-modelling amps out there from the big brands as not so many boutique manufacturers are available in Australia.

I play clean tones mostly and sometimes a bit of OD from my Tumnus pedal.

at the moment the Roland JC22 is on my sight (although pricey) and also the Orange Crush 35RT. Any other recommendations for a solid state amp? Please note that I tried the Katana and it's not suitable for my playing.

Cheers
Are you open to tube amps or do you really want solid state? Even a cheaper tube amp can treat you pretty well compared to solid state.

What is your amp budget? Is this for home use only?

Are you open to tube amps or do you really want solid state? Even a cheaper tube amp can treat you pretty well compared to solid state.
Tube amps are great but the ones I like are very expensive, of course I could find cheap amps second hand or some unbranded that are as cheap as a solid state, but I don't want the problem of repairs or wasting money. In these days there are a few good options out there without tubes. But... who knows, I saw a beautiful Supro the other day that made me think...

I really love my Tone Master Fender Deluxe Reverb. Light, sounds killer, plenty loud enough, and makes a great pedal platform. No tubes to worry about, and it has ‘power scaling’ that works good until you get down to the lowest setting.
That's one I like but not sure how the lack of mid tones control could limit the tone. Obviously its big brother Twin Reverb is on the top of my wish list but at the moment is far beyond my budget.

Tough to beat the Roland JC stuff. For clean and solid state IMO. I trust you are needing a combo amp?

Take a look at Quilter amps.

Coming from the Mustang, you’ll probably need some pedals to get the flexibility you had.

I had a Mustang ages ago; once the Katana came out I jumped and never looked back.

That's one I like but not sure how the lack of mid tones control could limit the tone. Obviously its big brother Twin Reverb is on the top of my wish list but at the moment is far beyond my budget.

You should try one, I don’t miss the mid control, whatever they do with the bass and treble knobs they adjust the mids also to taste. This is pretty much a hall of fame standard for clean and pushed tones, good enough for me.

I know that guys….Les…..will say they don’t sound as good as the real deal tube counterpart and I wont argue the point at all. He is correct. But it is a third of the weight and half the price, and a huge way to the tone. Used they are around 700 bucks to start for a used one on local Craigslist/Marketplace type pages here, and you won’t get one with bad tubes….not trying to sell you, just the truth.

You should try one, I don’t miss the mid control, whatever they do with the bass and treble knobs they adjust the mids also to taste. This is pretty much a hall of fame standard for clean and pushed tones, good enough for me.

I know that guys….Les…..will say they don’t sound as good as the real deal tube counterpart and I wont argue the point at all. He is correct. But it is a third of the weight and half the price, and a huge way to the tone. Used they are around 700 bucks to start for a used one on local Craigslist/Marketplace type pages here, and you won’t get one with bad tubes….not trying to sell you, just the truth.
I go to a shop where they treat me like a guitar celebrity although I’m far from being that lol and they let me tried a Twin Reverb Tone Master, a black face and a silver face. Honestly I couldn’t hear a difference for clean tones (I didn’t turn the knobs that much actually). I guess the Deluxe may be the same but better priced And smaller. I’ll put on the wish list.

Apologies , you are right! Actually the JC preset is my favourite in my Mustang GTX50.
No worries. :)

If I were in your position I would grab the JC amp I could afford and build my foundation from there. They are bullet proof amps and have fantastic cleans and chorus. Since you play mainly clean or cleaner tones, it is a perfect fit. Add the color you desire via pedals and you have a wonderful rig to play with that will last you a lifetime.

No worries. :)

If I were in your position I would grab the JC amp I could afford and build my foundation from there. They are bullet proof amps and have fantastic cleans and chorus. Since you play mainly clean or cleaner tones, it is a perfect fit. Add the color you desire via pedals and you have a wonderful rig to play with that will last you a lifetime.
Thanks for that. I reckon now it'll be a matter of choosing between the JC22 and the JC40, of course the JC22 is intended for home use but not sure how the smaller speakers will handle the sound.

I have a Cube Micro GX that on JC Clean setting sounds very boxy, funny enough, the best setting on this amp imho is the blackface based on Fender Twin Reverb. I know the JCs are different beasts but bigger speakers can do a difference. Obviously the JC120 is too big and could blow my windows :D

Thanks for that. I reckon now it'll be a matter of choosing between the JC22 and the JC40, of course the JC22 is intended for home use but not sure how the smaller speakers will handle the sound.

I have a Cube Micro GX that on JC Clean setting sounds very boxy, funny enough, the best setting on this amp imho is the blackface based on Fender Twin Reverb. I know the JCs are different beasts but bigger speakers can do a difference. Obviously the JC120 is too big and could blow my windows :D
I love my JC 120. It does well at any volume. I would get the biggest one you can afford and run with it.

While I have a Fender Landau Hot Rod DeVille as my big boy tube amp, I'm a big fan of solid-state amps. I'd rec looking at the One Control BJF-S66...

Back