Looking for a "Deeper" Distortion sound? Is it the Amp?

412 might be my favorite number.

Of course it is.

PA.gif

I have one of the yamaha thr amps if you want to try it, but get a Wampler pedal and you are crushing on the cheap. I have both the SLOstortion and the Plextortion that you can also try, both are killer gain pedals depending on your flavor choice.

What's your budget? Have you considered a digital rig instead of tubes? One advantage of digital multi-fx, etc. is that you can get good distorted sounds without having to crank the volume up, which is great for low volume playing. Just another option to consider.

I've used a couple of Roland cubes and they're good for the price and will probably be an improvement over what you have.

As to your question of distortion vs. overdrive, I can try to help. Overdrive pedals tend to boost certain frequencies in your signal, which will in turn push the tubes in a tube amp harder, resulting in distortion. Distortion pedals "distort" your signal before sending it to your amp, in effect, replicating what overdriven tubes do. I'm sure both types of pedals do both of these things and this is a simplistic explanation, but I think it's a useful rule of thumb.

To my ears, the metal pedals I've tried have tended to have a bit more emphasis on the high end (disclaimer - I haven't played around with them a ton, so there may be more low end there than I'm testifying to).

If you have a computer recording setup, it might be worth playing with some amp software to get an idea what gets in the ballpark for you, even if it's not a faithful replication. I got turned on to the Mark IV through the emulation in an Adrenalinn pedal.

What's your budget? Have you considered a digital rig instead of tubes? One advantage of digital multi-fx, etc. is that you can get good distorted sounds without having to crank the volume up, which is great for low volume playing. Just another option to consider.

I've used a couple of Roland cubes and they're good for the price and will probably be an improvement over what you have.

As to your question of distortion vs. overdrive, I can try to help. Overdrive pedals tend to boost certain frequencies in your signal, which will in turn push the tubes in a tube amp harder, resulting in distortion. Distortion pedals "distort" your signal before sending it to your amp, in effect, replicating what overdriven tubes do. I'm sure both types of pedals do both of these things and this is a simplistic explanation, but I think it's a useful rule of thumb.

As to my budget I really don't have one per se... Just gonna use my noggin on what I really 'need' to fill my requirement.
I am certainly not going to spend 2k on an amp set up considering, a) I'm a student, and b) still going to playing in my bedroom for perhaps another year..

As far as power goes, I think 30 watts is plenty and will give me some near term flexibility if and when I play in public..
I think probably a combo unit is the way to go..my best 'guess' as far as where I will land on spending is probably 700ish...give or take if something really bites me.

I STILL have a major purchase on the horizon when I feel I am worthy and that is an American made PRS...so that will be a large chunk of change. I'm busting my butt practicing trying to get better...so far so good..after 3 years or learning, I want to play even more so the desire is still there and hasnt faded.

Thanks TFC, that is a GREAT explanation of OD vs a Distortion pedal.

Wedge, yes absolutely take you up on that!

Everyone suggestions and comments are excellent and appreciated very much!

In that price range and for your needs, I'd recommend taking a look at the Mesa Express amps. Specifically, the 5:25 combo, with either a 10" or 12" speaker. These have been discontinued and can be found used at the upper end of your price range. Mesa amps generally have a lot of pre-amp gain, which means you don't need to crank it up to get a lot of saturation ("smooth" distortion). They're 2 channel amps that will give you a variety of options and sounds. And you can switch between 5 watts and 25 watts, which makes it great for both home & jamming with friends. If you get a chance to try one you'll quickly see what you've been missing :).

Note that there's a new version, the 5:25+, which has a 5-band EQ, but those are more expensive, and are not necessarily any better for your needs. There are plenty of other options too, as others have stated. Good luck and have fun amp shopping!

I have also heard good things about the Mesa Express. PRS H is cool too. Does the Custom come in a combo? These might be found used for an amount close to your budget.

Guys I just made the move.

I ordered a Blackstar ID:30 from Sweetwater along with the footswitch. After a 70.00 rebate it comes in less than 380.00 plus free shipping.
Looking at lots of very good reviews this thing seems to have a ton of bang for the buck.

Wedge,
When I get this thing, maybe we can shake it out together?

I have a blackstar HT5R and it has pretty good low end with it`s 12" speaker. a really good sounding low watt tube amp for practice. I have played the ID and they are nice. just LEAVE the valve button on all the time!
I also have a Line 6 Spider15 which works great for practice. My main amp is a PRS SE20 which is too dang loud for home practice. Well at least to get it into sweet spot they get loud!

I have a blackstar HT5R and it has pretty good low end with it`s 12" speaker. a really good sounding low watt tube amp for practice. I have played the ID and they are nice. just LEAVE the valve button on all the time!
I also have a Line 6 Spider15 which works great for practice. My main amp is a PRS SE20 which is too dang loud for home practice. Well at least to get it into sweet spot they get loud!

will do...keep in mind though I am still a student who has not made my way out of the corner of my bedroom just yet.

Guys I just made the move.

I ordered a Blackstar ID:30 from Sweetwater along with the footswitch. After a 70.00 rebate it comes in less than 380.00 plus free shipping.
Looking at lots of very good reviews this thing seems to have a ton of bang for the buck.

Wedge,
When I get this thing, maybe we can shake it out together?

Congrats! The ID series sound really nice from what I've heard. Looking forward to the tone report!

Seems like you have pulled the trigger but another quick and simple option would be to use a multi effects pedal that has modeling into the clean channel of that frontman. It will still sound better than the Boss pedal into a solid state amp. I have a buddy who uses a Zoom GX3 like this when he's traveling light in the city, just this and his guitar into this amp at the music school. Just keep that in mind if you keep the other amp.

Will do guys!

Its on backorder from Sweetwater but I dont expect too long of a delay. Gives me time to read the owners manual and related documentation before it gets here.

Back