Looking at a Prs se custom, old version

Mike Burch

What are the main difference between the older se custom 24 and the newer versions. It looks like the body isnt bound and dots instead of birds. Are the neck and body the same? How much difference between the old and newer pickups?

Im sure its been asked before but wasnt searching for the right combo of words :)

The neck is approximately the same. IIRC all the dot neck models had a totally flat top and a toggle switch. The pickups are the SE HFS/VB, which aren’t inherently bad, but there are certainly choices that many people prefer over them. I found the neck pickup lacking in midrange and very underpowered compared to the bridge.

That being said, they are super, and I mean super solid instruments. I have a 25th model, which is the same except for a few cosmetic details, and it gets a ton of use and has held up very well.

The neck is approximately the same. IIRC all the dot neck models had a totally flat top and a toggle switch. The pickups are the SE HFS/VB, which aren’t inherently bad, but there are certainly choices that many people prefer over them. I found the neck pickup lacking in midrange and very underpowered compared to the bridge.

That being said, they are super, and I mean super solid instruments. I have a 25th model, which is the same except for a few cosmetic details, and it gets a ton of use and has held up very well.

Thanks for the info, I havent played in years and forgot about the plank nature of the early ones.

It’s really not bad as a flat top! Mine is a 2006 - it fell out of a moving truck, truss rod cover is around here somewhere but the screw is long gone, swapped the pickups for Dimarzio bluesbuckers for a more P90-ish sound, sometimes it sits in a closet for extended periods - but after I’ve had it for as long as I have, and since it was my first guitar, I’ll never part with it! It still plays great and makes me smile!

AC56-AB47-4759-4324-9-D7-F-B2558-D12487-E.jpg

I had one of those early SE Customs and loved it. Part of me still wishes I had it since I paid next to nothing for it. I still watch them from time to time.

Back