Looking at a PRS Hollowbody I ... Any feedback?

vox801

Have my eyes on a PRS Hollowbody I (i believe)... Maple top, mahogany back and sides, archtop pickups... Anyone have one?

I have two HB I's, one with a piezo and one without. They have a touch more midrange than HB II which I prefer. The archtop pick ups are a clear and low output vintage type pick up which I replaced in my primary HB I with uncovered 5708's. They can sound like archtops with the volume rolled back, but you can push the amp more when you need to.

There is a little bit of story behind my primary. It was the first HB I to go to the PTC when they started offering 5708's. I was sitting in my car one day and get a phone call from Len Johnson on the cell. All I heard from Len was three words, "Made in Heaven." Then, he hung up.

Last edited:
I have both HBI and HBII. The arch top pups are the sweetest, most even tempered pups PRS has ever made. They can croon and they can crank. What's not to love?

I have two HB I's, one with a piezo and one without. They have a touch more midrange than HB II which I prefer. The archtop pick ups are a clear and low output vintage type pick up which I replaced in my primary HB I with uncovered 5708's. They can sound like archtops with the volume rolled back, but you can push the amp more when you need to.

There is a little bit of story behind my primary. It was the first HB I to go to the PTC when they started offering 5708's. I was sitting in my car one day and get a phone call from Len Johnson on the cell. All I heard from Len was three words, "Made in Heaven." Then, he hung up.

i prefer more midrange and I like that story... thank you

Do it! I find it harder and harder to pick up my solid bodies. I DO manage to pull myself away from the SC HB Std and SC HB II, but always go back.

HB I's are wonderful instruments. But I have to say I thought the Archtop pickups sounded weak and thin. I far prefer the 57/08s I put in mine.

I owned a HBII, and sold it and got a HBI instead. The HBII was too bright for my tastes with the maple top and back. The mahogany body (carved out like a canoe) with the maple cap has the perfect sonic range in my opinion. I absolutely love the HBI, and would never, ever sell it. I didn't even know that they had discontinued them until I just checked.

Last edited:
I owned a HBII, and sold it and got a HBI instead. The HBII was too bright for my tastes with the maple top and back. The mahogany body (carved out like a canoe) with the maple cap has the perfect sonic range in my opinion. I absolutely love the HBI, and would never, ever, EVER sell it. I didn't even know that they had discontinued them until I just checked.

The 57/08's aren't voiced for the hollowbody so the guitars sounds more like a solidbody, that's why

I have a Hollowbody with spruce top and mahagony neck with archtops and a HB II with 57-08's. Both sound great but have different tone. I hope you can get a chance to play it before you buy.

The 57/08's aren't voiced for the hollowbody so the guitars sounds more like a solidbody, that's why

That's why what? I'm guessing that perhaps you meant to quote Herr Squid above, as it seems you might be responding to the comment about disliking the Archtop pickups.

I owned an HBI and liked it very much.

3798_1085416060568_171482_n.jpg

Back