Looking at a couple PRS amps

YMESYDT

Hey friends! I was thinking of grabbing a PRS amp and I was debating between the Original Sewell and the 25th Anniversary amp. The wattage control on the 25th is very nice, but I wasn't getting a great idea from the video demos of the two what the sound and feel differences might be. Any thoughts are very helpful, thank you!

Edit: Is it true that one of the two channel amps has a gain channel which is very close to the 25th Anniversary? That information comes from an internet stranger so it's accuracy has yet to be verified

Last edited:
The Original Sewell is fantastic! Lots of gain on store for whatever you have in mind. More preamp-centric.

The 25th is the OG 68 Plexi that started the HX/DA dynasty. The master volume is a detented attenuator that preserves the tube roasting…this defines this amp. No loop, no frills, just hand made Plexi goodness!

Speaker and cab choices are important to the end product. A 2x12 or 4x12 with low wattage Greenbacks makes for a classic thing with the 25th, and 16 ohm load let’s it breathe without ripping your head off. But don’t misunderstand…the 25th is best at gig+ volume. The OS seems to dial-in better at lower volumes.

Two totally different amps, IMO. Lots of people here with HX/DA settings suggestions that may work with the 25th.

IMO, there’s no 2 channel PRS amp that approaches the 25th.

The Original Sewell is fantastic! Lots of gain on store for whatever you have in mind. More preamp-centric.

The 25th is the OG 68 Plexi that started the HX/DA dynasty. The master volume is a detented attenuator that preserves the tube roasting…this defines this amp. No loop, no frills, just hand made Plexi goodness!

Speaker and cab choices are important to the end product. A 2x12 or 4x12 with low wattage Greenbacks makes for a classic thing with the 25th, and 16 ohm load let’s it breathe without ripping your head off. But don’t misunderstand…the 25th is best at gig+ volume. The OS seems to dial-in better at lower volumes.

Two totally different amps, IMO. Lots of people here with HX/DA settings suggestions that may work with the 25th.

IMO, there’s no 2 channel PRS amp that approaches the 25th.
Leading off what @WEDGE said, did you find the OS more compressed than the 25th? I'm an "always pick the less compressed amp" guy so it sounds like that may be my better option

How would you describe the gain on the Sewell, Is it saturated at all or more Plexi in nature?

Leading off what @WEDGE said, did you find the OS more compressed than the 25th? I'm an "always pick the less compressed amp" guy so it sounds like that may be my better option

The Original Sewell was more “gainy”, like it had extra gain stage(s). With that, yes, I thought it was more compressed. The 25th is a genuine Plexi, i.e., it’s not high gain. You can make it high gain, but it’s not in its inherent character. But if you put a Bogner Red pedal in front, it will squish with modern gain with the rest of ‘em.

You really need to hunt thru the PRS videos for demos. Don’t go on my description. When I auditioned the 25th, honestly, I had to play in a closet with a pine 2x12 cab sitting right in front of it. It was stupid. Wilcutt’s needs a better amp room. Ultimately, I passed on it because I would have sent it to Doug Sewell for the HX/DA mods. Ultimately ultimately :D, I bought the Super Dallas. The Original Sewell belonged to a buddy and I got to play it several times, but not in a live setting.

Back