Long Shot...but I gotta at least inquire!

Spalty Sam

So I bought a MINT 2019 Faded Whale Blue DGT on Reverb last week. I am absolutely enamored with it and have no complaints BUT...the original owner sold the DGT pups and swapped them for 57/09s in the neck and bridge. Like I said no complaints thus far...wondering if anyone has a pair of DGT for sale? I’d like to A/B them and see if I want it back to stock. Anyone? Bueller...
Thanks for humoring me, I am hopeful someone has them and wants to unload them.

So I bought a MINT 2019 Faded Whale Blue DGT on Reverb last week. I am absolutely enamored with it and have no complaints BUT...the original owner sold the DGT pups and swapped them for 57/09s in the neck and bridge. Like I said no complaints thus far...wondering if anyone has a pair of DGT for sale? I’d like to A/B them and see if I want it back to stock. Anyone? Bueller...
Thanks for humoring me, I am hopeful someone has them and wants to unload them.

No disrespect, Sam, what are 57/09s? Did you mean 57/08s?

DGT pickups are like hens teeth :) My DGT also has replaced pickups so I look from time to time just to have them.
Its my understanding that they are based on McCarty pickups and the McCarty pickups I have in my CU22 sound similar to what I remember, I do know the McCartys neck pickup is a bit hotter than the spec for the DGT neck but the bridge comes up the same #s

DGT pickups are like hens teeth :) My DGT also has replaced pickups so I look from time to time just to have them.
Its my understanding that they are based on McCarty pickups and the McCarty pickups I have in my CU22 sound similar to what I remember, I do know the McCartys neck pickup is a bit hotter than the spec for the DGT neck but the bridge comes up the same #s
I hear ya. I found a guy sort of. Wants $500 for the set. Seems high in my opinion. Especially 4 weeks before Christmas. I guess I’ll keep my eyes open. Thanks

Unobtanium.

I dunno... 57/08's are pretty awesome pickups in the classic "McCarty" style (the guitar that DG began basing his DGT model off of). I've read way more positive reviews of the 57/08's, whereas I seem to see more people saying they don't love the DGT stock pickups.

This is all just a matter of taste, though, and if you want to seek out the DGT's, then go for it. (Or, if you want to bring the guitar back to "stock" condition for collector's/resale value purposes.) But if it's a matter of seeking "ultimate tone," which can be subjective of course, then I'd say you might already have the right pickups.

I dunno... 57/08's are pretty awesome pickups in the classic "McCarty" style (the guitar that DG began basing his DGT model off of). I've read way more positive reviews of the 57/08's, whereas I seem to see more people saying they don't love the DGT stock pickups.

This is all just a matter of taste, though, and if you want to seek out the DGT's, then go for it. (Or, if you want to bring the guitar back to "stock" condition for collector's/resale value purposes.) But if it's a matter of seeking "ultimate tone," which can be subjective of course, then I'd say you might already have the right pickups.
Hmm...being one of those DGT people that loves the pickups, I’m a little skeptical about the generalization.

Here's a great way to hear a side-by-side comparison with a bunch of pickups in a DGT (an all hog one, btw...mine)

Is there anyone near you offering one (a stock DGT) for sale? If so, you might get a chance to hear them in person. (I am skating past the question as to whether you are then wasting someone else's time if you have no intent to buy. Who knows, you might want it too).

Is there anyone near you offering one (a stock DGT) for sale? If so, you might get a chance to hear them in person. (I am skating past the question as to whether you are then wasting someone else's time if you have no intent to buy. Who knows, you might want it too).
Good idea. I could take a trip down to my PRS dealer. Oddly never thought of that lol

Hmm...being one of those DGT people that loves the pickups, I’m a little skeptical about the generalization.

Here's a great way to hear a side-by-side comparison with a bunch of pickups in a DGT (an all hog one, btw...mine)

Is this your video? Appreciate it. One question. It said in the lower graphics 57/08 Unetched? Is that a thing? Only ask because my new DGT is supposedly 57/08 and they have no etching on them. I haven’t pulled them out to verify but if they exist (I’ve heard only the early ones don’t have the numbers on them) then I either have some rarer ones or this guy lied and said they were PRS 57/08’s?

I’m going to go pop them out now.

stay tuned lol

That’s very true. And like I mentioned I do like the sound of the pickups in it. Just wanted to have or install the originals. The resale is pretty healthy so in either case I can’t lose. I do agree everything is subjective and I don’t plan on selling this guitar ever. It’s really something.

Is this your video? Appreciate it. One question. It said in the lower graphics 57/08 Unetched? Is that a thing? Only ask because my new DGT is supposedly 57/08 and they have no etching on them. I haven’t pulled them out to verify but if they exist (I’ve heard only the early ones don’t have the numbers on them) then I either have some rarer ones or this guy lied and said they were PRS 57/08’s?

I’m going to go pop them out now.

stay tuned lol
Video is by crgtr.
Early 57/08 were not etched.

Yup... I remember that they sounded like a better (to my ears) McCarty set. They pop up for sale from time to time, but I’ve never seen them for less than 450-ish. I bought a pair a few years ago, put them in a McCarty, but sold them with the guitar.

Back