Locking Tuners

mico888

Hello everyone! I have a PRS SE with locking tuners. It's been in standard tuning since I've received the guitar. My question is in order to drop it down a step, would I need to undo the lock first before tuning it down? It seems like there is enough string in order to do so. Please help!

Hello everyone! I have a PRS SE with locking tuners. It's been in standard tuning since I've received the guitar. My question is in order to drop it down a step, would I need to undo the lock first before tuning it down? It seems like there is enough string in order to do so. Please help!
As long as there is enough string to tune down and leave a half turn or so you’d be fine. If not, replace the strings and tune to the lower pitch. You can always tune upwards then.

As long as there is enough string to tune down and leave a half turn or so you’d be fine. If not, replace the strings and tune to the lower pitch. You can always tune upwards then.
Thanks for information but do I need to undo the lock first before tuning it down?

Try turning the tuning peg until the string is slack, then release the locking nut.

Only thing you may find is that the E string may not be strong enough to bring up to pitch, where it has been nipped up in the locking mechanism.

Have a new set of strings at hand and take Rick’s advice.

Back