Locking tuners on a PRS SE Custom 24

Quadrupole Knight

What's up everybody?

So I have this beautiful instrument here, a PRS Custom 24 SE from 2014 in Sapphire and I was thinking about upgrading the stock PRS tuners to some locking ones.
Now I don't know much about locking tuners but I do know that I'd like to use the trem since this is my first guitar with a floating bridge. I have two questions:
1. Does anyone know how much it would help if I upgraded to locking tuners? What I mean is I don't expect to do dive bombs or something like that but from what I can see the EBMM JP Majesty doesn't have a locking nut AT ALL and instead uses locking tuners and John Petrucci does some heavy trem riffs sometimes. I realise that the Majesty is neck-thru but still.
2. Which ones to pick? Which ones are really good for which I wouldn't have to drill any additional holes, i.e. that would be a direct replacement for the stock tuners?

I have a few ideas concerning question 2.
- The RG652FX has Gotoh MG-T Locking tuners and I read that they are good. I live in Germany and a quick search on thomann.de and on amazon.de didn't bring up any results for these so I guess I wouldn't be able to get my hands on them so easily.
- Schaller M6 - putting that into the search field on thomann brought up quite a few results and really have no idea which ones to pick.
- In this thread they recommend a number of different ones: grover locking mini rotomators, Gotoh MLB-3, Schaller M6CH I.-Locking

So far my instinct would be to get some Schaller ones but I've heard good things about Gotohs and Grovers, too.
Additionally installing the tuners would probably also finally force me to install the DiMarzio illuminator pickups since they've been lying around here for months now. :D

Cheers

I have used the Grover Mini-Rotomatics in several SE's and they work great for me. They are drop-in replacements without any drilling or extra modification needed. The buttons are a little smaller than what is standard on the SE's, but they work great for me.

Grover 406 are direct drop-ins. There are a few others, including some Schallers and a some more, but I don't remember them.

Schaller m6's and Grover 406c are direct drop in. Grovers are great imo

I really like the PRS locking tuners, I have them on my s2 and I changed strings for the first time today and holy he** I love these things! From my understanding a good set of PRS locking tuners with a PRS core nut and you'll have no issues.

I really like the PRS locking tuners, I have them on my s2 and I changed strings for the first time today and holy he** I love these things! From my understanding a good set of PRS locking tuners with a PRS core nut and you'll have no issues.

Wait, the PRS locking tuners are a direct drop in for the normal tuners on a PRS SE? I always thought this was not the case. Like I said, I don't want to drill any additional holes.

So far people favour the Grover 406c. I'll have a look then. :>

Wait, the PRS locking tuners are a direct drop in for the normal tuners on a PRS SE? I always thought this was not the case. Like I said, I don't want to drill any additional holes.

So far people favour the Grover 406c. I'll have a look then. :>

I think this was from my failure to read all of your words. I thought you just wanted locking tuners, I did not realize you wanted direct drop in. I do not know if the s2 tuners will fit an SE without mods, I'm sorry. I know the s2 tuners are different from core line tuners and they are different from SE, these have no set screws where the SE ones do and these are closed back where the core are open. They may drop in for all I know but I can't say for sure. I just know these are the best locking tuners I have seen, much better than Gotoh in my opinion though I cannot speak for Sperzel, I know the regular Sperzel tuners are amazing so I would have to assume that their lockers would be great also. I will say again though that the nut is a huge thing, everything I have ever read coupled with my own personal experience tells me that you HAVE to replace the SE nut to have stable tuning on an SE if you plan to use the trem.

I think this was from my failure to read all of your words. I thought you just wanted locking tuners, I did not realize you wanted direct drop in. I do not know if the s2 tuners will fit an SE without mods, I'm sorry. I know the s2 tuners are different from core line tuners and they are different from SE, these have no set screws where the SE ones do and these are closed back where the core are open. They may drop in for all I know but I can't say for sure. I just know these are the best locking tuners I have seen, much better than Gotoh in my opinion though I cannot speak for Sperzel, I know the regular Sperzel tuners are amazing so I would have to assume that their lockers would be great also. I will say again though that the nut is a huge thing, everything I have ever read coupled with my own personal experience tells me that you HAVE to replace the SE nut to have stable tuning on an SE if you plan to use the trem.

Okay, thanks. :)

I actually ordered this thing, a Graph Tech TUSQ nut. Since I'm in Germany and it ships from the US it will take a while. I'm going to do all the replacements at the same time, so I still have some time to decide what tuners I'm going to go for.

I think Gotohs were only recommended once and the question is whether I'm going to get Grover tuners or Schaller tuners (not many people recommend Sperzels).
From what I understand the original locking tuners came from Schaller but people recommend Grovers a lot.
I also read that the PRS Phase III locking tuners are great but I'm not sure whether they are a direct drop in, though if they are it would make choosing even more difficult. :D

I have the exact same guitar as the OP. I wasn't planning on it, but it looks like I'm going to embark on the same upgrade after reading all of this. I'll probably go with the Grovers because I like what I've read about them. There are older threads on here about this same topic and the Grovers seem to be the popular choice. Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

I have had a set of Grover 406C mini locking tuners that I put in my Singlecut Tremolo, for a few years now. I really like them. The guitar stays in tune for a very long time, even when using the trem moderately.

I just put a set of Grover Roto-Grip locking tuners on my 2015 Gibson LP Junior and they are great. They have the locking wheel on the bottom of the tuner case on the underside of the headstock. These are very nice so far. 18:1 tuning gear ratio for fine tuning. I like smooth tuners that you can be accurate with.

I'd advise the Grover 406C mini locking drop in locking tuners. Very easy job to do with zero modification to the guitar. They use existing set screw holes and the bore is the same. They also look very good on the guitar. Bottom line is that you know that you have quality too.

I have the exact same guitar as the OP. I wasn't planning on it, but it looks like I'm going to embark on the same upgrade after reading all of this. I'll probably go with the Grovers because I like what I've read about them. There are older threads on here about this same topic and the Grovers seem to be the popular choice. Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

Glad you found it helpful. :D Don't forget that nut, though.

I have had a set of Grover 406C mini locking tuners that I put in my Singlecut Tremolo, for a few years now. I really like them. The guitar stays in tune for a very long time, even when using the trem moderately.

I just put a set of Grover Roto-Grip locking tuners on my 2015 Gibson LP Junior and they are great. They have the locking wheel on the bottom of the tuner case on the underside of the headstock. These are very nice so far. 18:1 tuning gear ratio for fine tuning. I like smooth tuners that you can be accurate with.

I'd advise the Grover 406C mini locking drop in locking tuners. Very easy job to do with zero modification to the guitar. They use existing set screw holes and the bore is the same. They also look very good on the guitar. Bottom line is that you know that you have quality too.

Yeah, I guess I'll go for the Grovers. My instincts told me to go for the Schaller ones because I know that Schaller makes all around good guitar parts but people swear on the Grover locking tuners. :D

Everyone, PRS now make a PRS SE Locking Tuning Machine Set that is made for these guitars. I have seen them on the PRS accessories page on their website and Sweetwater sells them. There is even a great video you can watch from PRS on replacing you exiting tuners with these new PRS SE Locking tuners. They sell for $95.00. Seems to me this would be the best set to replace with since they will be a perfect fit. Since I am a new member of this forum, I can't post links yet but will as soon as I can.

Everyone, PRS now make a PRS SE Locking Tuning Machine Set that is made for these guitars. I have seen them on the PRS accessories page on their website and Sweetwater sells them. There is even a great video you can watch from PRS on replacing you exiting tuners with these new PRS SE Locking tuners. They sell for $95.00. Seems to me this would be the best set to replace with since they will be a perfect fit. Since I am a new member of this forum, I can't post links yet but will as soon as I can.
Either those or the Mannmade version.

Have Mann convert the stock tuners to lockers, which is the cheapest option.

shimmilou, So I have read about this but I an not sure how it works. Also, how long would I be without my tuners?

One more thing, I looked at the ManMade Tuners and they are very nice but to buy them new for $90.00 plus shipping why not just get the new PRS SE tuners for $95.00. Then you would have PRS SE locking tuners on your PRS guitar.

Hipshot will be your cheaper option with no drilling. I have on my se, and it s solid.

Back