Locking tuners for SE

ddc18

Got my new SE Custom 24 recently. I really like it but expected it to stay in tune better based on reviews. I’ve got maybe 20 hours on it. So I guess I’ll get the the locking tuners when I have it set up. Also thinking about 9.5 strings to replace the 9s. Recommend the PRS tuners vs other brand? What is others’ experience with the stock tuner/string setup?

Got my new SE Custom 24 recently. I really like it but expected it to stay in tune better based on reviews. I’ve got maybe 20 hours on it. So I guess I’ll get the the locking tuners when I have it set up. Also thinking about 9.5 strings to replace the 9s. Recommend the PRS tuners vs other brand? What is others’ experience with the stock tuner/string setup?
Replace the nut with a Core nut. Core nuts are cut for 10 strings, so no slot filing should be necessary if you go up to 9.5's. But, as annoying as it might be with your current tuning issues, stick with it for a few more weeks of heavy bending and whammy abuse. SE's really do have a break-in period. You're not the first to experience this.

Locking tuners most likely won't make it stay in tune better, they just make string changes easier. Locking tuners just grip the string so less winds are needed to lock the string in place. If string is slipping through standard tuners it's a stringing issue. I have both SE standard tuners and SE locking tuners, they're both nice and my SE standard tuners stay in tune literally for weeks.

Something else to try is a little graphite (from a pencil) in the slots on the nut. Also make sure you're setting up and tuning the guitar in playing position.

Locking tuners most likely won't make it stay in tune better, they just make string changes easier. Locking tuners just grip the string so less winds are needed to lock the string in place. If string is slipping through standard tuners it's a stringing issue. I have both SE standard tuners and SE locking tuners, they're both nice and my SE standard tuners stay in tune literally for weeks.

Something else to try is a little graphite (from a pencil) in the slots on the nut. Also make sure you're setting up and tuning the guitar in playing position.
Thx. Will try the nut and new strings first. Right now, doesn’t hold tune for three songs.

SE Custom 22. Same issue, and pinged at the nut. Stretched and tuned, used D’Adario’s $15 Vaseline on the nut and bridge. I don’t think putting it on the bridge made a difference, just made a mess. Anyway, tuning is very stable now, unless I do slack string dives or something. Mostly I don’t use the trem though.

Next string set I’ll try either graphite or nut sauce. Pencils are pretty cheap…

Back