Locking tuner upgrade

Chip Burns

Are Phase III locking tuners drop-in replacements for the vintage tuners on a 2020 McCarty?

Thanks for the replies, anyone know why they went to the non-locking version? I really like locking tuners.

Just conjecture from what has been said but PRSh thinks they sound better and/or they wanted the full vintage look.

Me? I'm glad my 2020 came with locking tuners! :D

I believe the OLD Mccarty's , as well as the singlecuts (00-07) had thinner headstocks, and used the vintage style tuners. I replaced both of my 07 satin singlecut tuners with Gotoh locking tuners.

I believe the OLD Mccarty's , as well as the singlecuts (00-07) had thinner headstocks, and used the vintage style tuners. I replaced both of my 07 satin singlecut tuners with Gotoh locking tuners.

This is correct. My old McCarty does and I was hesitant because of that but in reality that guitar holds tune better than my custom 24 and Hollow body which both have the locking tuners.

I do question the validity of locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar, to myself that is.

I can’t quantify saving a few seconds per string, making a couple of winds around the tuner.

Sad as I maybe, I actually find string changes therapeutic. Having never smoked, I imagine it’s like rolling a cigarette (Caribbean or otherwise). The whole process being part of the experience.

Heck, whatever anyone else wants to do is fine, because it’s their guitar.

Back