Locking down tremolo

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by deanproxy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. deanproxy

deanproxy New Member

Is it considered bad to fully tighten the two claw screws to bring the rear of the tremolo bridge down to meet the body of the guitar? I've found this helps a lot with drop tunings by not forcing me to have to tune every string once I go down on the E string... I wasn't sure if this should be avoided or what...

2. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

I would think doing this would mess with your action and intonation, I recommend using an aftermarket product such as a "Tremol-No", or you could just buy another PRS and keep one Drop D all the time...

3. bretwomack

Everywhere I've read says to keep the bridge parallel to the body of the guitar. I don't know if it causes any damage, but I would probably try the Tremol-No just to be safe. I've also heard of putting a block of wood behind the trem block to make it stable yet parallel.

4. TDPRS1

TDPRS1 New Member

I installed the Tremol- No on my 96 Cu24 with no problems & works perfect!

5. AaeCee

AaeCee New Member

On a PRS with its 'knife edge' trem it should not be done. It could damage the trem. Use something like the Tremol-no as mentioned above.