Locking 594 bridge

RCM78

Is there a way to lock the thumbwheels so the bridge height doesn't change when cleaning the guitar?

I have thought about this quite a bit and wish these were lockable in some way other than MacGyver solutions. I have given consideration to the following solutions (well, at least 3 of them):

Lock tite on the threads. It would not be a total lock, but would stop them from moving when a microfiber glides by Obviously be careful to not let any get on the finish.

Washers underneath the wheel stacked to the appropriate height. Obviously the one on the bottom that hits the body should be or be coated with something that would not harm the finish.

Tape as Alnus mentioned (on the threads, at least that is where I would put the tape).

Needle nose vice grips, one for each wheel. WARNING: May interfere with strumming hand if not placed correctly ;~))

If you try the last one, I want pictures!!!

I have thought about this quite a bit and wish these were lockable in some way other than MacGyver solutions. I have given consideration to the following solutions (well, at least 3 of them):

Lock tite on the threads. It would not be a total lock, but would stop them from moving when a microfiber glides by Obviously be careful to not let any get on the finish.

Washers underneath the wheel stacked to the appropriate height. Obviously the one on the bottom that hits the body should be or be coated with something that would not harm the finish.

Tape as Alnus mentioned (on the threads, at least that is where I would put the tape).

Needle nose vice grips, one for each wheel. WARNING: May interfere with strumming hand if not placed correctly ;~))

If you try the last one, I want pictures!!!
I thought of the washer idea and grabbed a bunch of small washers from work. Someone on another forum recommended a second set of thumbwheels and lock them together.
Do Gibson thumbwheels have the same thread pitch?

I thought of the washer idea and grabbed a bunch of small washers from work. Someone on another forum recommended a second set of thumbwheels and lock them together.
I really like the locking nut idea.

I really like the second nut idea

Someone on another forum recommended a second set of thumbwheels and lock them together.
That's not a bad idea. Might look goofy, but it would damn sure work! Probably overkill, though: the task is simply to stop movement while cleaning. Tape around the threads sounds right for a longer term solution. I just tape up the wheels before I start the string change.

That's not a bad idea. Might look goofy, but it would damn sure work! Probably overkill, though: the task is simply to stop movement while cleaning. Tape around the threads sounds right for a longer term solution. I just tape up the wheels before I start the string change.
Check post 16. I found a solution.

Just a little update.
The washers work perfectly to tighten the thumbwheel down on and make string changes faster. The washers I used were 1mm thick and my action was just a touch higher than I like it. I bought .2mm shim washers from McMaster Carr and fine tuned the bridge height. Ended up at .6mm (three shims) on the high e side and 1.2mm (one washer and one shim) on the low e side.
Result was the action is now 1.5mm at the 12th fret on the high e side and 2mm to the bottom of the low e. That’s my set up so this worked out perfect. Played three gigs this weekend and the guitar felt great.
I also think more string energy is being felt in the body and neck with the bridge now connected to the body.
Very simple mod with a big return on convenience.

Just a little update.
The washers work perfectly to tighten the thumbwheel down on and make string changes faster. The washers I used were 1mm thick and my action was just a touch higher than I like it. I bought .2mm shim washers from McMaster Carr and fine tuned the bridge height. Ended up at .6mm (three shims) on the high e side and 1.2mm (one washer and one shim) on the low e side.
Result was the action is now 1.5mm at the 12th fret on the high e side and 2mm to the bottom of the low e. That’s my set up so this worked out perfect. Played three gigs this weekend and the guitar felt great.
I also think more string energy is being felt in the body and neck with the bridge now connected to the body.
Very simple mod with a big return on convenience.
Nice!

Back