Live from #EXPPRS 2012

What I am most bummed abut missing is the Amp School with Doug Sewell and David Grissom...

I hope someone took a video of that and can post it later! ;)

Sat in on two different Q&As today with Grissom and Doug Sewell. Those guys have forgot more about tone than I can every hope to know in my life. Don't know who else what there but it would have been great to get something like that on youtube. Apparently they are working together on something new. Sounds like a "Holy Grail" tone quest for Grissom from the way he lit up when they talked about their collaboration.

Doug and David are currently working on two amps. I believe that both amps are cathode-biased. This first amp is based in the AC30. The other amp is based on a the Park 75.

Mahogany 408's

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

I missed a bunch of you guys today. Ironic, as in the 5 (or is it 6?) years of coming to the Experience, this was the smallest crowd yet! So how I missed seeing some of you, I don't know!

But for those of you I did run into, good seeing you guys in person again!

I missed a bunch of you guys today. Ironic, as in the 5 (or is it 6?) years of coming to the Experience, this was the smallest crowd yet! So how I missed seeing some of you, I don't know!

But for those of you I did run into, good seeing you guys in person again!

Sorry I missed ya Aldy.......Gina and I decided to head south early and visit a friend in North Carolina on our way home.......maybe next year!

Quite a few people I missed - but this crowd wasn't as small as the first year, was it? First year was about 700 people, as I recall.

Very...low-key feeling this year. "Sedate" is how someone described it. Not unexcited or anything, just kind of mellow.

Impressed by the variety of stuff available this year, although a bit let down that there were so few Tremontis around. And that the 7-strings weren't available, although that's a good thing - after Emil's demo and sitting and playing one and talking to Skitchy, my resolve was weakening. And that blue is a gorgeous color.

Did run into quite a few people, even had a bit of a hotel hang. Was thoroughly surprised at how many people recognized me - my wife just laughed at me, especially when we checked in and Veronika saw me and said, "I recognize him!" Now, I know she remembers me, but I also know if you held a gun to her head, she probably couldn't tell you my name, but that doesn't matter. I've seen people I recognize and couldn't come up with their names if my life depended on it. But when someone like Tony McManus or Bernie Marsden remembers you - well, that's probably a sign you've come around too much! And when an employee (hi Brian) sees you and says, "I didn't see you back in finishing today", a restraining order is probably not far behind. I don't know what happened this year, but PRSH even said hi to me, unbidden. I was just standing in the hall, waiting for my wife, and he walked past and just said hi. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but...

At the risk of forgetting people, thanks to Brian, Len, Veronika, Bev, PRSH, Big Jim, Shawn, Skitchy, Staci, the folks in electronics whose names I didn't get, Eric Martin, Davy Knowles, Bernie Marsden, Mark Tremonti, Tony McManus, anyone else I forgot.

And (again, no doubt missing names here) great seeing Jamie, Dave C., Markie, Steve, Tim, Jeff, Chris, Bryan, Hans, Jack, Quentin, Doug, Mike, Robin, Chet, and everyone else I've overlooked.

My wife said a couple telling things this weekend - "It's nice to see you so happy" and "No wonder you like coming to this every year". She was really impressed by the atmosphere, Paul's enthusiasm, and the way the employees treat everybody. Then again, she married me, so take her opinion for what it's worth!

Last edited:
I missed a bunch of you guys today. Ironic, as in the 5 (or is it 6?) years of coming to the Experience, this was the smallest crowd yet!

The Signature Club Event was definitely more crowded this year than last year. Attendance on Friday appeared to be smaller than last year.

I checked out of my hotel and drove home early this morning to drop off the guitar that I purchased yesterday. I had planned to drive back in time for the event; however, I was exhausted from staying out late last night. Ampguy and I wound up at the same bar that many of the performers went to after the event. It was cool to have a beer with John McLaughlin. He's a very approachable guy.

Quite a few people I missed - but this crowd wasn't as small as the first year, was it? First year was about 700 people, as I recall.

No, I believe there were at least 3x that many attendees. There were definitely more people registered this year than any other. I think it felt less crowded because folks were scattered throughout the factory a bit more than usual.

James,

Try as I might, I was unable to find you over the weekend.

Hell, there were some folks I knew who were there all 3 days, that I didn't see till Saturday evening!

Jamie

This was the first time I was able to get the Experience. Made it down Friday afternoon and Saturday, most of the day. Really enjoyed myself, caught up with a couple of you and got to see a few of you doing your thing jammin with Nicky Moroch, nice version of Play that funky music Chris, very well done by PRS.

Thanks to everyone who came to the factory and hung out with us. We shared some great music, cool gear and a lot of laughs. Let's do it again next year!

Thanks really to you guys at PRS. It was a terrific weekend as always (weather couldn't have been more perfect). But the most important thing is that the PRS employees are such a nice group of people...my wife, who has been to all Experiences with me, said that the one thing that really impresses her is that the company opens up its doors to us and invites us in to share everything you do. And that you collectively really want to show us how you do your jobs, And given who you are, it's like if we could walk around inside Apple. Thank you.

I even bought a nice new stripped 58. All is well.

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone who has been sharing updates, pictures, etc. with those of us who couldn't be there. I'm sure there will be lots more coming in the days ahead, and I appreciate you all taking the time to pass along highlights, reports, rumors, descriptions of gigs, whatever. Thank you all very much for making the effort.

And I especially thank all of the PRS family themselves for making the public feel welcome. How many other companies, be they music-related or otherwise, would open their doors up and share their inner workings the way PRS does? It's an amazing thing to do (especially in this day and age), and IMO it speaks volumes about the company. Just another example of how Paul Reed Smith Guitars is in a league of their own.

Goldtop/Lloyd

great to hang with everyone at the hotel lobby and thanks to all at PRS especially Shawn and Bev...have not missed one yet...here are a few pics....

here is a picture of Brent Mason opening for me at the recording thing!!!! sure...duh.......Peter told me that I was sharing my time with Brent...thank God he did not play guitar..just interviewed ...
DCP_5468.jpg

then me looking way too serious.... where was my guitar face at? it was a lot of fun doing that though... I think Chris got a video ..waiting to get that from him
DCP_5472.jpg

hanging with my buds Simon and Bernie!!!!
DCP_5476.jpg

see everyone next year!!!

Wish I could've been there, but I'm happy that Jack Gretz was able to visit with you guys and pick out some special wood for my PS Acoustic!

Back