Live EQ

squirrel211

Hello fellow giggers! I do most of my playing live, especially with a now 3 year old who refuses to let his dad strum 2 chords without wanting to do it all by himself!

I have struggled mightily over the years with being heard without over powering the mix. I always err on the side of too low, I figure the audience isn't there to stroke my ego! Still I get frustrated a lot because I wind up strumming/picking too hard in order to be audible to myself, and that typically destroys my tone.

What have you guys found that works for you? I've tried EQ-ing several different ways, but that usually leads to our keyboardist and/or bass player becoming frustrated as well; all of the instruments tend to sound thinner. Any particular EQ settings that do the trick for you AND your bandmates?

*** IMPORTANT ***
My band's drummer has Roland V Drums! I benefit from no hearing loss, but everything else about it sucks; my amp is OVERKILL and needs drastic attenuation, the PA system is now utilized as the sound source vs sound reinforcement, etc... Most of my guitar signal to the audience must come from the mains. Particularly at our main venues which have multi-directional audience areas. And yes, I've tried several small amps in recent years! None of them stick.

While I'm not currently doing it, with several previous drummers, I began to rely on in-ear monitors. That way I always sounded "right" and never had to strum too hard. I'm not always sure front of house is perfect, but I know I'm playing better because of it.

Back