Little help. Search on HX/DA says search text too short

This - those three HX/DA switches are a little confusing...
The switches and more so the knobs.. "Hx gain, Da gain... The switches are probably less complex than they might seem. All HX is Jimi's Superlead spec and all DA is Duanes super bass spec. Apparently there were only 3 parts spec'd differently between them and you can toggle all three individually, instead of all at once.

There was a guy at TGP that sold his HX/DA and the guy he sold it to put up a clip and he immediately offered to buy it back for more than he sold it for. I guess he never found the magic settings for the two gain controls and couldn't get the tones he wanted, only to hear killer tones from the guy he sold it too. Last I saw that thread (a few months ago) he was looking for another after discussing how the purchaser had the amp set.

I’d love to get one of these amps. But 4 guitars in 4 months has me on social distancing from guitar sites. Maybe later this year. I’m hoping to hear more experiences with it so I can live vicariously! Lol

Off to read those searches...
Unless you lurked before you became active here, you missed when I thought I had an HX/DA two different times in trade deals for my Mark V. One guy backing out a few hours before our deadline and after I had already boxed up the Mark V. He wanted to avoid shipping and literally the afternoon the deal was to go down a local offer came in and he took it. I also had a deal made for an MDT one time and lost out to a cash offer at the last minute.

ha, the one that I just "discovered" a couple weeks ago here, that I'd definitely like to try out is the Blistertone. That demo sounded fantastic!!!

I know Paul wanted to be a premium amp brand. The time I saw him in person, he was REALLY pushing the amps and was very passionate about them. I'm guessing he doesn't want to take the HX/DA, Blistertone, Dallas etc, and have them made overseas. So we probably won't see any more of them. The ones that are out there though should last forever.

Edit to add: When I saw Paul and he was so fired up about the amps, was 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you lurked before you became active here, you missed when I thought I had an HX/DA two different times in trade deals for my Mark V. One guy backing out a few hours before our deadline and after I had already boxed up the Mark V. He wanted to avoid shipping and literally the afternoon the deal was to go down a local offer came in and he took it. I also had a deal made for an MDT one time and lost out to a cash offer at the last minute.

ha, the one that I just "discovered" a couple weeks ago here, that I'd definitely like to try out is the Blistertone. That demo sounded fantastic!!!

I know Paul wanted to be a premium amp brand. The time I saw him in person, he was REALLY pushing the amps and was very passionate about them. I'm guessing he doesn't want to take the HX/DA, Blistertone, Dallas etc, and have them made overseas. So we probably won't see any more of them. The ones that are out there though should last forever.
There have been a few of both the HXDA and Blistertone calling my name on Reverb lately, but guitars have taken the cash instead. No regrets, I have a lot of good amps already and added another in the recent equipment blitzkreig. But the HXDA, in particular, has been a curiosity for some time. I see mostly 30 watt units now, but I assume there are higher wattage units too. I doubt I need one, but really, when has that ever stopped me? o_O

The Blistertone is a beast. I got the MDT over it just by a nose, maybe largely the sweet 4x10 package I watched Doug assemble.
If I had more space, I’d get one, and an HX/DA.

There have been a few of both the HXDA and Blistertone calling my name on Reverb lately, but guitars have taken the cash instead. No regrets, I have a lot of good amps already and added another in the recent equipment blitzkreig. But the HXDA, in particular, has been a curiosity for some time. I see mostly 30 watt units now, but I assume there are higher wattage units too. I doubt I need one, but really, when has that ever stopped me? o_O

Yes, there's a 50 watter also.

The Blistertone is a beast. I got the MDT over it just by a nose, maybe largely the sweet 4x10 package I watched Doug assemble.
If I had more space, I’d get one, and an HX/DA.

I had 5 amps in here a year ago and am down to two (Archon and ATMA). I'd change what you said too... "If I had more MONEY I'd get one and an HX/DA" LOL

Truth is, I could swing one now, but found I didn't turn the amps up enough to warrant having 4-5 of them. I bought some digital devices and have been using them every time the wife is in bed. If I play earlier in the evening, I play the amps.

Yes, there's a 50 watter also.

I had 5 amps in here a year ago and am down to two (Archon and ATMA). I'd change what you said too... "If I had more MONEY I'd get one and an HX/DA" LOL

Truth is, I could swing one now, but found I didn't turn the amps up enough to warrant having 4-5 of them. I bought some digital devices and have been using them every time the wife is in bed. If I play earlier in the evening, I play the amps.

When I had a Kemper, a HX/DA profile was my go-to.

Given the unusual layout, I would have assumed that they would have done so.

This - those three HX/DA switches are a little confusing...

The switches are actually very simple to use.

DA = Superbass (or early Plexi setting). HX = Superlead setting.

The switches let you progressively go from Superbass to Superlead, having attributes of both, or just go all Superlead or Superbass. It's really not confusing; start out one way, and listen to what happens when you switch them one at a time, and you'll hear what they do. What could be simpler?

The two gain controls take the place of jumpering the two channels (high and low) on a vintage Plexi. You can blend them in interesting ways, and again, for the player you have to experiment and see where you like things to sit. Not much different in concept between that and a 4 knob layout on the 504 in the middle position where you experiment and blend the two pickups, right?

Isn't trying switches, trying knob settings, and then listening to what happens to the sound the way most folks set up an amp? Anyway, this video is better than most manuals. Paul walks you right through what the switches do, and explains why they do what they do.

Last edited:
The guy that sold his to another guy, then loved the tones the second owner posted, said he never understood the dual gains and apparently never got them adjusted in a way that gave him the tones he was after. I haven't played one, so I'm only relaying what I heard.

Back