Little chat about buffers (I've found THE ONE)

Good name for a pedal “Mother Buffer”

With a logo like this... I’d take two! :D

9c2d6c7a8c78f22674fe3ca73036864a.jpg

One nice thing about the Suhr is its tiny size. Fits easily under most angled pedalboards, under risers, etc.

I did all this homework once up a time and went with the Suhr as well.

I’ve used both a Klon and an EP Booster as my frontend buffers for years with great success. And I don’t mess with success!

Klon + EP here too. Those bad-boys represent 2 of the 5 key components in 'my sound'.

Klon + EP here too. Those bad-boys represent 2 of the 5 key components in 'my sound'.

Both are great!

It occurs to me that we’re so lucky these days; it’s a unique time for guitarists. We have the opportunity to craft a very individual sound, a voice we can speak musically with. “Curate” is an overused word, but in a way, that’s what we do if we’re really into our tone, evolving and changing it over time with the superb array of tone-shaping things on the market, from guitars to amps to pedals and other effects.

Added to that are a cornucopia of synths, sample libraries, acoustic instruments, you name it!

To top it off, for minuscule money we can put together home studios capable of surpassing what the finest studios in the world could do back in the day (perhaps except for the live tracking rooms).

I could go on, but these days here’s the truth:

People are making Grammy winning records in their home studios with cheap gear. The only obstacle anyone has to making great music is ourselves!

People are making Grammy winning records in their home studios with cheap gear. The only obstacle anyone has to making great music is ourselves!

Powerful words. I should take them as an advice but here I am... but hey, at least we’re learning something!

8502f3dd527406a7faac75459763f99bo.jpg

Disappointed. The waza doesn’t sound better than the TU2, just different. If the TU2 lacks bottom end compared to straight in, the TU3w has that bottom end but lacks some of its midrange. Different flavour, same issue.
This one goes back to the store.

As a side note, the TU3w in true bypass mode... doesn’t sound true bypass! Mechanically it is, because it works without power supply, but the sound is a little less bright. It looks to me that the bypass circuit has some resistors or something.

Both are great!

It occurs to me that we’re so lucky these days; it’s a unique time for guitarists. We have the opportunity to craft a very individual sound, a voice we can speak musically with. “Curate” is an overused word, but in a way, that’s what we do if we’re really into our tone, evolving and changing it over time with the superb array of tone-shaping things on the market, from guitars to amps to pedals and other effects.

Added to that are a cornucopia of synths, sample libraries, acoustic instruments, you name it!

To top it off, for minuscule money we can put together home studios capable of surpassing what the finest studios in the world could do back in the day (perhaps except for the live tracking rooms).

I believe the Gorillaz wrote an entire album on an ipad once

Disappointed. The waza doesn’t sound better than the TU2, just different. If the TU2 lacks bottom end compared to straight in, the TU3w has that bottom end but lacks some of its midrange. Different flavour, same issue.
This one goes back to the store.

I’m pretty sure that Boss pedal tone suck is why people started getting into True Bypass. The Boss pedals have a characteristic tone that’s hard to describe, but there’s definitely a “Boss Sound” that folks either love or dislike.

In any event, Boss pedals are why I got into True Bypass pedals.

If you think about it, the best buffers on the market, like the Suhr, or the Pettyjohn, aren’t cheap items. The quality of the buffer circuit matters quite a bit, and there’s no magic bullet solution. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for the good stuff.

That’s why I’m eager to try the Mesa Stowaway. I’ve read about Mario Marino and his “holy grail” buffers back in Axxis. The Cornish clone is the other one in my mind, but being a clone makes me stay a bit skeptical. But again, I’ll let my ears decide.

That’s why I’m eager to try the Mesa Stowaway. I’ve read about Mario Marino and his “holy grail” buffers back in Axxis. The Cornish clone is the other one in my mind, but being a clone makes me stay a bit skeptical. But again, I’ll let my ears decide.

I had one of the original Axxis buffers in the early 2000s. It opened up my ears, and I’ve used a dedicated buffer ever since. I’d guess the Mesa would be a good choice.

One great thing about a buffer that’s rarely remarked on is that a good buffer allows a player to use the volume and tone controls on the guitar to best effect. With PRS’ excellent pickups and wiring, you should be able to take even better advantage of the controls on the guitar.

vV69d59

More toys.

I liked the Mesa very much. It retains most of the original signal, no "artificial" feeling, very organic. BUT it loses a liiiiitle of the bottom end. VERY close to straight in sound.

And here's the surprise. The bonafide buffer built in the polytune3. I'll try to be specific with my words... THIS IS IT. And I mean it.
First, I tried it alone with an ABY switcher. Guitar>cable>switcher (pedal/bypass)>cable<amp. It sounded THE SAME.
EQ, feeling, response, dynamics, headroom... At first i thought that something went wrong. I was like "wtf, something's wrong here, theres no difference, I'm not switching or something is happening".
After several verifications I concluded that the thing was working properly and doing a perfect job.

Then I switched the path to Guitar>cable>pedalboard with this pedal in it>cable>amp. Compared three sounds:

- Straight in as reference
- Pedalboard without pedal (high end loss, obviously)
- Pedalboard with the Polytune3: SAME as straight in.

Long story short: quest is completed.

Last edited:
Back