Listen to how these necks ring!

But tone wood doesn't matter, at least that is what some people say and they are adamant about it. I am from the camp that the wood does matter and for the exact reason he shows in the video. The necks ring at different frequencies and the bodies also resonate at different frequencies. This all makes a difference in where the guitar rings the most, frequency wise, and where there could be cancellations that cause dead spots.

I will also note that the videos I have seen with Paul knocking on the neck blanks for PRS guitars, they seem to ring out more and at a higher frequency than the ones in this video.

I posted this while watching video and just now got to the part where he talks about the difference between light and medium weight guitars. I find what he said to be true from my experience. I am usually not concerned with the weight of a guitar. A good strap makes all the difference in the world. I prefer the tones of a medium weight guitar over a light weight guitar.

I will also note that the videos I have seen with Paul knocking on the neck blanks for PRS guitars, they seem to ring out more and at a higher frequency than the ones in this video.
Because mahogany and rosewood are more resonant woods than maple. That's why they've been desired on lots of instruments through the years.

Though I think in the right context maple works very well. For example, on a violin, where the strings and bows put out a ton of high frequency overtones, maple works well on the instrument, while the best bows are traditionally made from Pernambuco.

So you might use maple where you'd want to tame certain harmonic overtones, for example.

One thing that I sort of wondered about after watching this is how much the sawing method affects how it rings. It will affect the direction of the grain in the final product.

Because mahogany and rosewood are more resonant woods than maple. That's why they've been desired on lots of instruments through the years.

Though I think in the right context maple works very well. For example, on a violin, where the strings and bows put out a ton of high frequency overtones, maple works well on the instrument, while the best bows are traditionally made from Pernambuco.

So you might use maple where you'd want to tame certain harmonic overtones, for example.
I am a fan of maple necks with rosewood fretboards. I like them better than all maple, except on a tele. I like the full maple neck on a tele.

I can assure you it makes a BIG difference . The neck makes the biggest difference in terms of body materials, Play a maple neck vs Mahogany of the same PRS model and tell me it doesn't .. .

I have a stack of neck blanks , the Cocobolo and Pernambuco ring like a bell ,and fuller than Maple , mahogany is more subdued .

I always say there is no best, there's only what's best for you.
Well...I've played some guitars that are the worst I've ever played and some that were the best I've ever played.

The best I've ever played rang for days. (not really) But I always audition a new electric guitar unplugged and compare it to others of the same model.

That's why I picked my SE Silver Sky over a Core model. That particular SE just rang. By accident maybe...but it did. And still does.

Might be the best SSS guitar I own. (Although saying that got me kicked off of the Strat Forum...)

But ultimately, you're right. It's all about......me! :)

Last edited:
Back