Like modded SEs????

markd21

Here's a fun one....

I was missing my Gretsch guitars. There really is something about "that Gretsch sound"!! I am actually a BIG Gretsch guy. My studio drum kit is a Gretsch USA Custom. My main recording guitars for almost a decade were a Gretsch Duo Jet and a Gretsch 6120. But, in my desire to acquire PRS guitars, I let my precious Gretsch guitars go. :(

One day I thought it would be cool to do an experiment. What would a PRS with Filtertron-type pickups sound like???

I began searching for an SE Soapbar. Didn't matter if it was a Soap 1 or 2. The reason I was searching ut that model was that GFS made a Filtertron type pickup that fit in minibucker rings. After a couple of weeks, this baby popped up on Reverb.com. It was at Chicago Music Exchange. I had bought some guitars from them prior, and the price on this was a no-brainer. I ordered it and the pickups from GFS.

After a short bit of work, I ended up with this creation:

It isn't too bad. I mean, of course it plays and feels great. The pickups are a just weaker than I was hoping. I still have to go and order the hotter versions (I forget which ones these are off the top of my head) because these are just enough too weak, even tweaked as far up as possible there just isn't enough "kerrang". Sounds good, but could be better, lol....

I also switched the knobs to some gold bells....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VvuUqw]

It has nicer moons than my gold top 22!!!!

As an added bonus it seems to be signed on the headstock. Not sure if it's real because it came this way...

HAHAHAHA, should have blown the head with some air....[/url]

I like it.

I want to get an SE singlecut and have a custom pickguard made for three single coil pups. A singlecut Strat, if you will. Maybe someday.

Glad you guys dig it, lol. I was playing it last night for a while. It's more like a "hot" tele then a Gretsch. It has a cool sound, so I may just keep it the way it is. I came up with some cool, southern-fried riffs on it. The sound is very inspiring....

Back