Lighting the “Tree”....

And THAT’S why Ken’s guitar is Blue...and acoustic...but look at those boots!

TZrrMGQ.jpg

It’s like if Adam Lambert was singing in Duran Duran!

I couldn’t help coming back to this thread a few times. I’m now inspired to design a guitar head studio rack of my very own, which I’ll have made when I redo the studio this spring.

I figure it has to be made of wood to match my other racks and stands, open at the front and back for ventilation and access to cables, etc., and large enough to accommodate the PRS heads and Lone Star combo, along with 5 equipment rackspaces for the Furman power supply, a switcher, etc. Plus there has to be at least one extra space for another amp, just in case.

I haven’t seen anything online that would work for me, so this will be 100% custom. Should be interesting. I’m already sketching out some ideas.

I couldn’t help coming back to this thread a few times. I’m now inspired to design a guitar head studio rack of my very own, which I’ll have made when I redo the studio this spring.

I figure it has to be made of wood to match my other racks and stands, open at the front and back for ventilation and access to cables, etc., and large enough to accommodate the PRS heads and Lone Star combo, along with 5 equipment rackspaces for the Furman power supply, a switcher, etc. Plus there has to be at least one extra space for another amp, just in case.

I haven’t seen anything online that would work for me, so this will be 100% custom. Should be interesting. I’m already sketching out some ideas.

Sounds like a great plan Les!
I went with the commercial wire shelving for the weight capacity, ventilation and ability to move it (on heavy duty wheels) for when I need to change cables. Makes it easy to route cables between shelves, and provides plenty of options for attaching cables with zip ties or Velcro. I’m working on a pedal board for the bottom shelf that will have the foot switches for all amps on it...my effects floorboard slides in under the bottom shelf. This makes it easy for me to bring the effects board into my control room where I use it with some other amps (smaller low-wattage combos). The next project will be attaching all of the effects loops (For the amps that have them) to the patch bay in the 4 space rack above the HX-DA so I can switch my effects into different loops using patch cables. It never ends...

Sounds like a great plan Les!
I went with the commercial wire shelving for the weight capacity, ventilation and ability to move it (on heavy duty wheels) for when I need to change cables. Makes it easy to route cables between shelves, and provides plenty of options for attaching cables with zip ties or Velcro. I’m working on a pedal board for the bottom shelf that will have the foot switches for all amps on it...my effects floorboard slides in under the bottom shelf. This makes it easy for me to bring the effects board into my control room where I use it with some other amps (smaller low-wattage combos). The next project will be attaching all of the effects loops (For the amps that have them) to the patch bay in the 4 space rack above the HX-DA so I can switch my effects into different loops using patch cables. It never ends...

I bought a wire shelving thing like yours several years back, hoping I’d do the very thing you did. It’s totally sensible!

Unfortunately, on my heavily-padded carpet, the wheels didn’t roll smoothly and it nearly tipped over, even when putting heavy stuff on the bottom shelf. Kinda freaked me out a little bit!

So I put it in the storage room (works great for that, I have lots of stuff to store, and the floor isn’t carpeted there).

Inspired by your setup, though, I took the amp room pretty much apart, and I’m experimenting with where to put cabs, studio furniture, etc. Part of my continuing issue is having a place in the room to store mics, accessories, manuals, etc, and I still need to be able to accommodate singers and other players. It’s like trying to put ten pounds of sh!t into a five pound bag!

Took me two days...but finally got my version of the ultimate Christmas Tree wired up...powered on...and ready to rock. Look at all the pretty lights!!!
bm4ECt4.jpg

Next to the wall of “presents” (speakers).
I can only imagine the power flickering in your neighbors' homes. Hell, probably the state.

This thread deserves a comeback due to its inspiring, unparalleled righteousness.

So I’m returning it to its rightful place at the top of the pile. Tosca’s effort on this is to be savored down through succeeding generations as a shining example of what human beings can imagine and do.

It reminds me of the accomplishment of going to the moon, only infinitely cooler.

I want my epitaph to read, “He built an amplifier rack that was so badass.”

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blivet

I remember my dad using the word "blivet" when I was just a kid. He learned it in WW2.

You know what, I think my dad (who also served in WW2) said that when I was a little guy, but I had no idea what it meant!

The other WW2 phrase he used when the food was bad was also a WW2 term: “SOS”. You probably know that one, too. He did not particularly care for the Army’s “creamed beef on toast”. ;)

My Dad rarely cursed when I was little, but when he did, my brothers and I scattered!

Last edited:
Back