Life As We Might Like It

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
This is in response to the recent posts about the violence in Aurora, IL.

I'd like to ask you folks, how do you wish life to be? It seems that what we view or read in the news media is often filled with crime and violence, pain and suffering. Authorities try to keep the peace but often are bogged down in bureaucracy and finger-pointing. The legal system is glutted with cases that are being heard and judged each day. It seems like we're all tiring of the violence and are sickened by the results of it.

How do you wish life to be?

In my ideal world, my life is one that works out to the best advantage. I tend my yard and garden in good weather, and appreciate when gentle rains nourish the dry soil. When possible, I grow food that can be shared with others, and save some for myself, preparing it as part of my evening meal. I use my outdoor grills for cooking occasionally and am thankful for our apartment's HVAC for heating and cooling during colder and warmer months.

Because cooking food is necessary for survival, we often must visit marketplaces that sell food that we aren't able to grow or produce ourselves. (Examples are things like meat or processed food.) Enjoying a good meal is what we're granted in this life, and if we make the correct food choices, we are likely to live healthier lives as a result.

As we grow older, we mature into adulthood. Our senses of humor are more discerning; we act more wisely because of our experience. We strive to impart this to our children who may struggle sometimes, but eventually, begin to know the reasons for and consequences of their thoughts and actions. Sometimes they've been working diligently as students themselves and could use some help with questions they may have. There's nothing more rewarding than to receive a call from your son or daughter asking for advice on something they're experiencing difficulty with, and you being able to provide them with a solution.

Aside from governments or other nations, we really wish to enjoy our lives in peace and harmony within the letter of the law, so that others may benefit when we obey authorities who provide us with a measure of services and protection that we pay into each year. If at all possible, does this not make sense when we go out to visit other places that we also take into account those values we maintain at home?

If we do, then we are more likely to live peaceably with one another even though others may be experiencing difficulties themselves. Remember, if someone slights or offends you with a comment you overhear while in public, please be compassionate and not judge them too harshly. Folks are very quick to find fault with others when others make a misstep in word or deed.

If we can remember to be more understanding and try to help them if they are receptive to your provision, life as we might wish it to be can be exactly that.

While we cherish our material possessions, but in fact, some of our vast collections of instruments, effects, or amps are really just "stuff" we keep and enjoy when we practice or gig. Let us not lose sight of this because otherwise, our lives may suffer the consequences of seeking wealth before more important things like less stressful workdays, better health and more enjoyable relationships with family and friends that does not involve being envious of what others have.

Peace to all of our friends on this forum and to those who wish to read this....

Back