Let's talk treble bleeds... (DGT)

I have a 2021 WL DGT and have the same issue. Seems like there’s no treble bleed cap in it at all. Turn down the volume to 8 on the treble pickup and it‘s lost all the treble….
Over the years I’ve installed parallel resistor/cap treble bleeds to my other guitars including 2 other PRS’s with great success.The tone of the humbuckers on 3 are the same as on 10…..
Granted, David uses more treble on his amp than I do so maybe he likes the mellowing effect
I'm glad someone else with a DGT is noticing the same thing. Unless they've changed the specs, the DGTs should have the treble bleed cap in them. I will open mine up today.

I wonder if the TCI process has something to do with this mess?

Shouldn't really. I fully expect it to just be the standard PRS value of 180pf. How effective it works is dependant on your setup - how long your cables are etc. Maybe you just use longer lengths or cables with a higher capacitance than David uses?

I use a 10' cable to the amp (at home). Run through a normal pedalboard, which does have buffers on it. I can plug straight into the amp and the results are the same. I'll open it up and verify the cap is there, if it's not I'll be shocked, I wouldn't expect PRS to make a mistake... especially not on a signature, high-cost item.

Actually have had multiple DGT'S over the years. The TCI tuned pickups are the best sounding I have had on them, especially the split tones.
Overall slightly brighter and clearer tone.

Have had 4 older ones and 3 of the newer TCI tuned ones. I certainly wouldn't call the design a mess at any point since 2008.

And have had over a dozen Les Paul historics.
They are different animals. The DGT bridge is a bit hotter than the lower wind PAF's used in historics.
That is one of the reasons I like it- it has that A2 spongy compressed vibe.

I also tried a recent PRS SC594. That bridge pickup is closer to a PAF in a Gibson Les Paul historic.

A DGT will never be an Gibson historic, and a Gibson historic will never be a DGT. Really need one of both.

Actually have a Heritage Custom Core H150 now in the Les Paul slot. Very nice.

Last edited:
Funny....never used treble bleed circuits myself. I rather like anything that removes treble frequencies from my tone. I've even run through 200' of cable to round it off.

I’ve got 2 that were built in 2020 (both with TCI). One was finished with a 58/15 bass pickup because of DGT supply issues at the time) I have the DGT bass pickup now but I’ve left the 58/15 in for contrast with my other. I guess I’ve never noticed anything that bothered me about either with the rolloff but now I’m going to go plug in and see.

I don't like treble bleeds in general and removed mine. I think they do something to the tone even wide open.

I don't like treble bleeds in general and removed mine. I think they do something to the tone even wide open.
I’ve never experienced that…. If it’s the right values and the combination resistor/capacitor in parallel. Not just a capacitor…..
. I do need to try the Kinman version sometime Where the resistor is on 1 leg only of the capacitor

I'm glad someone else with a DGT is noticing the same thing. Unless they've changed the specs, the DGTs should have the treble bleed cap in them. I will open mine up today.

@ruger9 .. did you check your DGT for the cap yet? I’ve got to check mine as well. There was one on my ‘22 Santana SE that didn’t do anything…. Replaced it with the combination cap/resistor in parallel and it works great now when rolling down the volume control

I agree. And that's the reason I disconnect mine too - that and they affect the taper of the volume pot and make it harder to do nice volume swells as the volume comes on all of a sudden.
It could well be that as Rod/ says that a different form of treble bleed would fix that problem but I'm happy without one.

@ruger9 .. did you check your DGT for the cap yet? I’ve got to check mine as well. There was one on my ‘22 Santana SE that didn’t do anything…. Replaced it with the combination cap/resistor in parallel and it works great now when rolling down the volume control

Yes, the capacitors are there, and the solder connections seem rock solid. I think the PRS method (one cap, I forget the value they use, 180pf?) just doesn't do it for me and my sound; my tones are very Grissom-like, warm ... I "run away from too much top end" just like he does (that's actually a quote from him). I have found, over the years, that the more high end you have in your sound, the BETTER treble bleed circuits work. So maybe that's part of it.

Honestly, when I watch videos of Grissom (either live or at home), when he uses his volume knob to clean up, it's still not very clean. I think maybe the other methods (Seymour Duncan, TV Jones), just work more extremely, which some people hate ("too much treble"), so it's likely just a taste/preference thing.

Yes, the capacitors are there, and the solder connections seem rock solid. I think the PRS method (one cap, I forget the value they use, 180pf?) just doesn't do it for me and my sound; my tones are very Grissom-like, warm ... I "run away from too much top end" just like he does (that's actually a quote from him). I have found, over the years, that the more high end you have in your sound, the BETTER treble bleed circuits work. So maybe that's part of it.

Honestly, when I watch videos of Grissom (either live or at home), when he uses his volume knob to clean up, it's still not very clean. I think maybe the other methods (Seymour Duncan, TV Jones), just work more extremely, which some people hate ("too much treble"), so it's likely just a taste/preference thing.
I hear you. I don’t use a lot of high end in my tones either. I hate tons of highs! When I saw David and his band play at the Savoy in Austin back in April my wife was the first to comment on how much his tone sounded like mine….. but I use a different amp and maybe someday I’ll splurge and get a DG 30 watter

I hear you. I don’t use a lot of high end in my tones either. I hate tons of highs! When I saw David and his band play at the Savoy in Austin back in April my wife was the first to comment on how much his tone sounded like mine….. but I use a different amp and maybe someday I’ll splurge and get a DG 30 watter
I would have gotten a DG30 already, but it wouldn't work that well with my cover band (I need a clean channel as well as a dirty channel), and from almost all reports of owners it's really too much amp for home use, when you get it dialed up to where it needs to be to sound great. I'm running a Player's Hot Cat, and the dirty channel gets great Grissom-y tones, gives me a clean channel, and their K-Master sounds FANTASTIC at home volumes.

I would have gotten a DG30 already, but it wouldn't work that well with my cover band (I need a clean channel as well as a dirty channel), and from almost all reports of owners it's really too much amp for home use, when you get it dialed up to where it needs to be to sound great. I'm running a Player's Hot Cat, and the dirty channel gets great Grissom-y tones, gives me a clean channel, and their K-Master sounds FANTASTIC at home volumes.
Great to hear. :).. Because of some back issues I’ve been using the clean (JTM45) channel of an Amp1 (tube/analog) pedalboard 100 watt amp and and array of pedals for crunch and solo tones. Sounds pretty amazing . The whole pedalboard with the amp weighs about 12 lbs. just add your favorite guitar cab…. It truly sounds great when you figure it out. I used a first run Samson Built Bad Cat Hot Cat for years-on tour and in clubs… great great amp….but the newer versions like yours are much more versatile……..love theirsounds

Last edited:
DGT is a great guitar. I do find the bridge pick up volume control unresponsive though.
To harsh on 10 , sweet sounding between 6 and 8 though. Below 4 it is very muddy sounding.
I Use the coil split on neck pick up with volume rolled of to 6, fantastic clean sound

Actually have had multiple DGT'S over the years. The TCI tuned pickups are the best sounding I have had on them, especially the split tones.
Overall slightly brighter and clearer tone.

Have had 4 older ones and 3 of the newer TCI tuned ones. I certainly wouldn't call the design a mess at any point since 2008.

And have had over a dozen Les Paul historics.
They are different animals. The DGT bridge is a bit hotter than the lower wind PAF's used in historics.
That is one of the reasons I like it- it has that A2 spongy compressed vibe.

I also tried a recent PRS SC594. That bridge pickup is closer to a PAF in a Gibson Les Paul historic.

A DGT will never be an Gibson historic, and a Gibson historic will never be a DGT. Really need one of both.

Actually have a Heritage Custom Core H150 now in the Les Paul slot. Very nice.
I swap between my Les Paul and DGT. Those are my first call guitars.

I seem to remember an interview where DG said he runs the tone down also , funny I find my DGT to be on the warm side tone wise , it came to me with Mira pickups with covers that were brighter and sounded really good in my DGT. I have grown to enjoy the DGT pickups over time.

I seem to remember an interview where DG said he runs the tone down also , funny I find my DGT to be on the warm side tone wise , it came to me with Mira pickups with covers that were brighter and sounded really good in my DGT. I have grown to enjoy the DGT pickups over time.
When I bought my Wood Library version from John Mann’s Guitar Vault I brought my Amp1 and a small 1/12 with a Scumback M55 , which is what I use live and for sessions with a few pedals, but with more cabs with the same speaker… I tried every PRS core and S2 he had in stock and the guitar I bought just spoke to me the best. It does every clean tone exceptionally well, but then for overdrive solos I’ve learned to work the volume and tone controls so it all works well. No 2 guitars sound the same… he had a darker/warmer sounding DGT which sounded great, but I was looking for something that sounded much more different than what my 2 handmade Les Pauls give me… I’m glad you found a great one for you…

Last edited:
Back