Let's Talk - The Perfect Band For You!

I don't have the chops for anything more than a classic rock cover band. I'm working on getting those up.

For my guitar playing style, replacing Myles Kennedy in Alter Bridge would fit me well. But I can't sing anything like him, so he'd have to stick around as the lead singer.

I don't have the chops for anything more than a classic rock cover band. I'm working on getting those up.

For my guitar playing style, replacing Myles Kennedy in Alter Bridge would fit me well. But I can't sing anything like him, so he'd have to stick around as the lead singer.
Myles is a heck of a guitar player and a nice guy as well. His singing isn't half bad either... ;)

Yeah, my chops (if you can call them that) puts me as the rhythm guitar player and background singer in a classic rock cover band.

"Classic rock cover band"

Yep.
No chops needed for that.
Can you say:

Cream
Led Zepplin
Jimi Hendrix
Doobie Brothers
Should I keep going?

I would venture to guess that your chops are better than you say.

;)

We all can play a lot of things but I am talking about your genuine, true guitar style. Not if you can pull off Crazy Train. Iommi wouldn't fit with Rush. Randy wouldn't fit with Johnny winter. Hendrix wouldn't fit with Whitessnake, etc. Dig deeper grasshopper, what band is your perfect fit? :)
I did though. I played lots of stuff when I was younger, so the influences were broad. And I didn’t even mention Led Zeppelin or Yes or Boston or Kansas or many of the other bands I played. And they all influence your style if you play them a lot.

I think you’re trying to narrow it down to one player that my style is like, and I don’t think there is just one. Heck, the clip I put up a while back is probably less than 2 minutes long and has at least 3 styles in it.

I did though. I played lots of stuff when I was younger, so the influences were broad. And I didn’t even mention Led Zeppelin or Yes or Boston or Kansas or many of the other bands I played. And they all influence your style if you play them a lot.

I think you’re trying to narrow it down to one player that my style is like, and I don’t think there is just one. Heck, the clip I put up a while back is probably less than 2 minutes long and has at least 3 styles in it.
No....I am trying to get out of you a band that all of your vast influences culminate into. I could have listed 100's of bands myself as could others I am sure but in the end those are influences. What I was talking about and why I started the thread was what band is the right fit for you? Maybe there is more than one band? I can play Van Halen stuff but would I be their first call? I doubt it. I am trying to find the bands that people genuinely fit in. There is a difference. :)

No....I am trying to get out of you a band that all of your vast influences culminate into. I could have listed 100's of bands myself as could others I am sure but in the end those are influences. What I was talking about and why I started the thread was what band is the right fit for you? Maybe there is more than one band? I can play Van Halen stuff but would I be their first call? I doubt it. I am trying to find the bands that people genuinely fit in. There is a difference. :)
harsh talk for porch connoisseurs.

i am3nd m6 earlie4 response to

god damn numbers!

No, I get it. But I guess if you really want to nail it down that much, there is no band... or there are a few. I was classically trained, so "perfect" was the only "acceptable." So when I "played" something, it wasn't good enough til it was perfect. None of this "I don't play note for note because I have my own style." I tried to play WHOEVER I played, EXACTLY like they did. So if one achieves that goal, you can sound exactly like more than one guy and that was MY path. I'm not half the guitar player I used to be, but if you asked me to play a bunch of songs a couple weeks from now for a show, and by a certain band I mentioned, I'd practice them note for note and play them exactly like they were played, to the best of my ability. I'd add on top of, but never subtract. But if you asked me to play my own solos on songs that were new, I'd do what I felt was needed for the song.

So maybe my joke about having no style, was not joke after all. :p Because the truth is, if you heard me play along with 3 different songs, my goal would be that you didn't immediately say "That's Howie." Even if they were not songs you'd heard before... so throw up a hard rock, a metal and a smooth easy melody song, and my goal would be that I played "right" for each song, that you didn't immediately recognize "my style" because I was versatile enough to make that work. Again, that would be my goal, you might immediately recognize my hack playing and know it was me. :)

No, I get it. But I guess if you really want to nail it down that much, there is no band... or there are a few. I was classically trained, so "perfect" was the only "acceptable." So when I "played" something, it wasn't good enough til it was perfect. None of this "I don't play note for note because I have my own style." I tried to play WHOEVER I played, EXACTLY like they did. So if one achieves that goal, you can sound exactly like more than one guy and that was MY path. I'm not half the guitar player I used to be, but if you asked me to play a bunch of songs a couple weeks from now for a show, and by a certain band I mentioned, I'd practice them note for note and play them exactly like they were played, to the best of my ability. I'd add on top of, but never subtract. But if you asked me to play my own solos on songs that were new, I'd do what I felt was needed for the song.

So maybe my joke about having no style, was not joke after all. :p Because the truth is, if you heard me play along with 3 different songs, my goal would be that you didn't immediately say "That's Howie." Even if they were not songs you'd heard before... so throw up a hard rock, a metal and a smooth easy melody song, and my goal would be that I played "right" for each song, that you didn't immediately recognize "my style" because I was versatile enough to make that work. Again, that would be my goal, you might immediately recognize my hack playing and know it was me. :)
As Chuckie would say....I accept that.

Back