Let's talk neck pickups

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I'm getting ready to do a recording project so I've been getting mics set up and dialing in my amp for what I'm doing.

I've got two guitars that I'm focusing on for this.

Ce24 5909 bridge 5708 neck
Mccarty 5909 bridge 8515 neck

I had PTC do a setup on mccarty early this summer so I've been playing the crap out of it and had come to the conclusion that the 8515 is the best neck pickup I've ever played.

In preparation for this project I've been playing the CE as well. I decided on these two guitars because of the neck pickups. Well now I'm not so sure if the 8515 is better than 5708 or not.

I seem to like the 5708 split better than not. Split, it has a little sharper attack but still has a very full tone. 8515 seems to have a more round tone if that makes sense. It sounds really good with tone rolled down a bit too.

My cu24 has 5909s on both ends but it needs a setup really bad so I won't use it for this project which it too bad because the round bobbin 5909 in the bridge sounds really freakin good and I'd love to compare the 5909 neck with the other two.

Anybody have opinions on these neck pickups?

All Great ones there Gush !!!
But to be honest the Dragon II on that CU22 I got from you was one of the best neck pickups ever.
I also like the Mira.
My SSH has the MT8515s and it is all around one of the best sounding guitars I have

At this point in my life I tend to focus most on neck pickup choices. The 57/08 is one of my favorites, I unfortunately don’t have much experience with the 85/15’s.

What kind of material are you recording? What’s your amp like?

I love love love the 85/15 neck pickup. It has a great scooped-mids clarity. The 57/08 is very cool too, but it has a more traditional humbucker snarl to the mids.

I think it'll come down to which guitar has the sound you're going for and which one translates best on the recordings.

I'm a 57/08 fan in the neck. That was until the 58/15 MT in the SSH came along. Hands down winner.

At this point in my life I tend to focus most on neck pickup choices. The 57/08 is one of my favorites, I unfortunately don’t have much experience with the 85/15’s.

What kind of material are you recording? What’s your amp like?

I still play the 1994 5150 head but the last tube set I got from Dougs tubes sound warmer which is good because this head can be bright if you're not careful. I use celestion loaded cabs now but the 5150 cabs always enhanced the high fizzy frequencies, drove me nuts.

I'm going to try several different approaches as far as volume level and I've been using less and less amp OD the last few years which will be perfect for this project.

One of my buddies has a country band that has gotten wildly popular in this area and they have been writing new material like crazy. They lost their guitar and bass players recently and need to get their new songs finished and on the radio.

Kevin the drummer has sent me the material and I've been given free reigns to send him rythm and lead parts plus any thing acoustic I want to add. They will use what they want and throw awsy what they don't.

I'm not into country but this is going to be fun and I might add some uncountry parts that could be cool. Who knows????

All Great ones there Gush !!!
But to be honest the Dragon II on that CU22 I got from you was one of the best neck pickups ever.
I also like the Mira.
My SSH has the MT8515s and it is all around one of the best sounding guitars I have

That cu22 was my go to guitar for covering wide range of stuff. I liked both pickups a lot when I was still using 5150 cabs. Some claim the dr2 pickups are muddy but I never heard that. My amp can be bright sounding so maybe that's why.

When I switched to celestion loaded cabs all my guitars sounded better except the cu22 and that's why you have it now.

Glad it went to a good home.

I might add that the cu22 you have is the only guitar I've owned that I never touched. Meaning I never adjusted anything. It was exactly the way it was from the factory when I traded with you.

5708 neck hands down but there are some issue that make it hard to say concretely for me here's why -

when the 5708s first came out I loved the first set I bought so much I bought two more. they were all so different I sold some off. I have a 5708 neck if my #1 gtr that is a lifer and a bridge in one of my others that is a lifer. I bought a P24 that came loaded with 5708 squabins and I hated both of them and sold them. So the bottom line is I love some of the 5708 but not all.

You’re just gonna have to get a few guitars ready and then make a decision upon playback, and even then it’ll be on a track by track, or even part by part basis.

The two guitars and pickups you have have two kinda different tones, one being kinda vintage and midrangey and the other scooped and modern-y. You gotta be prepared to try ‘em both out within the context of the songs the band is sending you.

You’re gonna also have to be prepared that whatever you may think is the best sounding guitar isn’t the same one as your client (your buddy Kevin) thinks is.

It’s helpful to try and be prepared ahead of time, but my experience is that it’s almost never the sound you plan on that gets other people geeked.

The last time I was tracking guitar for someone I just randomly brought the newest guitar I bought just for sh!ts and giggles, didn’t plan on actually using it, but the band was immediately like “Nah, that’s the one! It’s so much better sounding”. I didn’t totally agree but.... it’s their project.

You’re just gonna have to get a few guitars ready and then make a decision upon playback, and even then it’ll be on a track by track, or even part by part basis.

The two guitars and pickups you have have two kinda different tones, one being kinda vintage and midrangey and the other scooped and modern-y. You gotta be prepared to try ‘em both out within the context of the songs the band is sending you.

You’re gonna also have to be prepared that whatever you may think is the best sounding guitar isn’t the same one as your client (your buddy Kevin) thinks is.

It’s helpful to try and be prepared ahead of time, but my experience is that it’s almost never the sound you plan on that gets other people geeked.

The last time I was tracking guitar for someone I just randomly brought the newest guitar I bought just for sh!ts and giggles, didn’t plan on actually using it, but the band was immediately like “Nah, that’s the one! It’s so much better sounding”. I didn’t totally agree but.... it’s their project.
Oh I'm right with you there man.

They sent me a rough mix of three songs.

The first song is kinda catchy and all kinds of ideas popped into my head immediately. I'm going to add some backup vocals on this one but it screams harmony guitar big time.

And of course I'm prepared for them to not like anything I create, it happens. At this stage of the game they don't have a guitar player and I've played with Kevin before so he knows what I'm about. He asked me to join their band a month ago but I AIN'T DOIN THAT. These cats were gigging 3-4 nights every single week.....no thanks. If I was a younger man maybe.

5708 neck hands down but there are some issue that make it hard to say concretely for me here's why -

when the 5708s first came out I loved the first set I bought so much I bought two more. they were all so different I sold some off. I have a 5708 neck if my #1 gtr that is a lifer and a bridge in one of my others that is a lifer. I bought a P24 that came loaded with 5708 squabins and I hated both of them and sold them. So the bottom line is I love some of the 5708 but not all.

Interesting................if I can get some more gear moved I'll have an opportunity to try some more 5708s.

I'm a neck pickup kind of guy. Love the warmth and the tone. But I'm gonna move in a different direction here. P90 in the neck. That's where the magic is. A McCarty with P90's (AKA a McSoapy) will change your perception of reality...;)

Sounds like your gravitating to the pafier vintage sound, nice guitars

Its good to read someone so enthused and the creativity flowing, enjoy.

I'm a neck pickup kind of guy. Love the warmth and the tone. But I'm gonna move in a different direction here. P90 in the neck. That's where the magic is. A McCarty with P90's (AKA a McSoapy) will change your perception of reality...;)

I'd love a prs P90 guitar. Triple P90 cu22 or mc soapy trem.................mmmmmmmmm

Sounds like your gravitating to the pafier vintage sound, nice guitars

Its good to read someone so enthused and the creativity flowing, enjoy.

My wife bought me this mccarty as a gift and that got the prs gas going. I put a lot of different pickups in it as the Mccarty bridge was just ok.

When I got my first prs with 5909s that changed my life forever. The last ten years has seen some incredible stuff from prs.

I gig and record using neck pickups exclusively. I have not yet recorded with the 85/15 equipped CE24 yet, but its only a matter of time. I would probably use the whole HB.

I have recorded my 2015 SE Custom24 using coil split neck (cant recall the pickup spec). In fact I've just posted one of those recordings here
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/original-song-rescued.34441/#post-430858

I suggest trying out options (record some snippets for comparison) when you get underway. Good luck.

I still play the 1994 5150 head but the last tube set I got from Dougs tubes sound warmer which is good because this head can be bright if you're not careful. I use celestion loaded cabs now but the 5150 cabs always enhanced the high fizzy frequencies, drove me nuts.

I'm going to try several different approaches as far as volume level and I've been using less and less amp OD the last few years which will be perfect for this project.

One of my buddies has a country band that has gotten wildly popular in this area and they have been writing new material like crazy. They lost their guitar and bass players recently and need to get their new songs finished and on the radio.

Kevin the drummer has sent me the material and I've been given free reigns to send him rythm and lead parts plus any thing acoustic I want to add. They will use what they want and throw awsy what they don't.

I'm not into country but this is going to be fun and I might add some uncountry parts that could be cool. Who knows????
Not being into country can be a great influence on country! o_O:D This has been my situation for the past 4 years or so and don’t regret the change in environment. It’s my intent and opinion that I bring a little more power and less plinky twang to the equation. No one - not a single soul - has ever complained. The other guitarist and I have worked together for about 8 years and honed this guitar sound that has transgressed classic rock and pop country. Think Jason Aldean-kind of power. Here in Indiana, blending classic rock and country is expected. My point is, own it! Whatever it is that makes you you, use it. Genre bending is always about the crossover techniques. Good luck!

Back