Let's talk grilling!

I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream... OMFG!

I think this is going to happen today!!!!

Charcoal, charcoal chimney to start it. Put alum foil on grill, grill up some bacon and then put steaks or bugers in the bacon grease. Hmmmm!

I have both a Weber kettle (charcoal) and a Weber Genesis gas grill, and while I grill two or three times a week (usually on the weekends, but there are exceptions), I haven't used the charcoal kettle in about two years. I used to be a charcoal snob but gas has won me over with both convenience and good results. The Genesis gets up to about 600* and that's hot enough to do a steak properly, and it can also run all day long at 225* for low-and-slow cooking. With three burners, you can do direct or indirect cooking. I've cooked all sorts of things - from whole turkeys to countless steaks, ribs, chops, sausages, vegetables (corn, zucchini, eggplant, onions), potatoes, and probably other stuff that I've forgotten. The only thing I haven't tried is pizza, and I'm gonna do one before the summer ends.

I have both. The weather's never not right for grilling in Phoenix.

For really good stuff like steak or boneless butterflied leg of lamb, I'll do charcoal.

For quick stuff, a couple salmon fillets or a quick couple burgers on a weeknight, it's gas.

I don't ever order steak at restaurants any more. The last time I did that I went to this super ritzy place for our anniversary, ordered a $40 new york strip steak. It was good, but I knew that I had made better myself. So now, I always look for one of the many good pork variants on the menu (particularly the slow roasted/smoked varieties) and go for that. I can get fantastic steaks at Costco and do 'em myself and that makes me very happy.

35imng.jpg

Taste the Meat not the Heat! I love gas. I was raised on charcoal, and switched 10 years ago. I do still use mesquite for the slow cooker, and that does run charcoal. Brisket and Ribs only.

The weather's never not right for grilling in Phoenix.

Come to Maryland. The 80% humidity will caused the sweat to run into your eyes while you try to swat mosquitoes with your one free hand while the other hand flips the burgers, all the while standing in front of a hot grill. Anyone who has been to the Experience knows the weather here is perfect! :)

Charcoal only here. Steaks, chicken and pork chops. Rib Eye and Porterhouse are my favorite cuts. Prefer to have the grill up high and I cook with the lid down. Slow cooks and juicy every time. Not into high heat and fast cook time. Lots of black pepper and a little Lawry's seasoned salt as a slight marinade. Yum yum.

As I live in an apartment in the center of Amsterdam, sadly only charcoal here (small round Weber on the patio). When I grew up my Dad and I used to grill the old fashioned way, i.e. with wood. Always had to start early of course, had to wait until the wood turned to coal. But nothing beats that taste imho.

I agree that the veggies shouldn't take the upper hand on the grill :eek:) Also agree that chicken is difficult to do right, unless you marinate it which should prevent it from drying out when grilled long.

What's very nice to go with the meat (I'm sure y'all have tried this) is to wrap potatoes (with their skin) in tin foil and just throw them into the coals. Leave them there for some time and then serve with some curd cheese and chives. Awesome.

Now I'm hungry...

Come to Maryland. The 80% humidity will caused the sweat to run into your eyes while you try to swat mosquitoes with your one free hand while the other hand flips the burgers, all the while standing in front of a hot grill. Anyone who has been to the Experience knows the weather here is perfect! :)

I'm a Virginia Beach native so I know how it is!! And I don't miss it!

Today's episode of cooking with charcoal, chicken wing drumettes.

IMG-20120723-00811.jpg

IMG-20120723-00812.jpg

ffffffff.....

... an excellent alternative to a baked potato, when I am making steaks on the charcoal I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream...

It's early in the morning as I write this, and my mouth is watering!

Goldtop

We did kabobs last night over rice. Aside from the meat (lamb!) there were onions, pineapple, mushrooms and these guys...

plants.jpg

Last edited:
I use charcoal all the way. I love to grill, eat grill and serve grill. I am a amateur cook, regular reader of different grilling recipes. Also I am trying to write my favorite grilling recipes. hot dogs and cheeseburgers my favorite actually. What about kabobs? Chicken or steak, peppers, onions, pineapple, etc.?. yeah its yummy

Veggie Kabobs
view here

Back