Let's talk about Pizza, man!!

Another displaced New Yorker and nothing is better than Umberto's in New Hyde Park (LI). They also make the best grilled chicken and broccoli rabe sub ever. Also, I may be in the minority but I'm not sure pizza is actually pizza without anchovies.

UGH, I used to love Umbertos! Fire cooked with the freshest mozzerlla and basil atop this crispy masterpiece..... :stares off into the sunset:

So...I am a Pizza Snob....sorry in advance.....I am a New Yorker....one from Westchester...I went to Fordham University in the Bronx...Arthur Ave. is right there....so back in the day I was one very spoiled college kid....

The next time I go to NY I want to visit Arthur Ave and get some authentic Italian food and a bottle or two of my favorite Italian booze. Super Punch!

Ah man, I had the worst pizza today... :( I won't even name it but traditionally here on the West Coast the pizza is generally sub par. Let's just say it tasted like cardboard. Also they cut their pizza into squares which in my book is a no-no when the pizza is baked round.

I recently went into a place where the owner came from the East Coast and it was explained that it's got something to do with the water why it's not the same as in New York, for example.

There is one locally around here that's pretty good though... It's Topper's. You can order it a bit more cooked or "crispy" and it gives the edges just a slightly more chew. Pretty good stuff.

Last edited:
I recently went into a place where the owner came from the East Coast and it was explained that it's got something to do with the water why it's not the same as in New York, for example.

I always here this one too, same for bagels outside of NY but the water in NYC comes from the upstate castkills watershed and the water on LI is local so that's bunk. There's one place in MD that gets close...Mama Lucia's, small restaurant group in greater DC metro area but, there's a lot of variability even at the same location. The do make a pretty good Sicilian pie though.

My wife and I are counting calories right now (I've managed to drop 14 pounds since the end of June) and one of the recipes she found on Pinterest is a cauliflower crust pizza. Basically just like regular pizza but you make the crust out of minced cauliflower held together with a little coconut flour. It's shockingly good. It's crumblier than pizza dough but it tastes perfectly fine. Great substitute when you're dieting.

I am from neither Chicago nor NYC but There is this place in VA, Im not sure if its just one resteraunt or a chain, but Leonardo's is the best Pizza Ive ever eaten. Their Deep Dish Meat pizza is amazing.

my standards are pretty low, and I mostly eat delivery/Homemade pizza, and Moms is killer. favorite delivery is Hungry Howies.

Pizza is quite boring around where I live. We don't really have any gourmet plaxes around here that serve real good pixzza. But I'm not picky so PIzza Hut usually does the trick. John's Incredible Pizza and Shakeys is good if I want to pig out a little bit :D.

I´ve just ordered one on the phone! Piiiiiiiizzaaaaa night!!!

We had it, too - gave Vincent's a second run. They were out of business for several months over a dispute between the family and the people running it. We went the second day they were open - good, but not as good as it used to be. Tonight? Much better - much more like the old days. They're back!

Why did I start reading this at 9 am? I'm hungry now. I'm not overly picky on pizza. I've had Malnati's and Gino's in Chicago, and Ray's in NYC and they were all good when I was there. Local to me, I really enjoy the pizza at http://www.echotapmadison.com/pizza.php
Glass Nickel has kinda blown up in WI, pretty decent stuff: http://www.glassnickelpizza.com/Menu/menu.html
Falbo's is pretty good too - tons of cheesy, it's a pretty heavy pizza that fills you up pretty quick. http://www.falbobrospizza.com/index.html

I almost hate to say it, but Costco pizza is pretty darn good, and can feed three people two meals for $10. We do that from time to time. Friday evening at 5:30, Costco isn't jam-packed with wall to wall people like it is on Saturday or Sunday, so we do our shopping then and pick up a pizza on the way out.

Funhouse Pizza, The Original - Raytown, Mo.

COMBO!....I'd damn near trade a PRS for one of these right now.

37061_10151616807331224_1030714345_n.jpg

Back